Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Grinding

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Bluntman Sam, Jun 16, 2010.

1. I have smoked weed for several years and often heard you should not grind up your high quality weed because it will cause trichomes to fall off causing a loss of potency. I assume this happens at least a little but will it have a serious effect? I suppose it will produce plenty of kief if it does.

2. Some people prefer not to but theres really no reason not too, if it's top shelf weed then it's gonna get you good and blazed regardless of if you grind it or not. I would suggest grinding it and pressing it for kief and make some dope hash outta that shit!

3. thanks a ton for clearing that up for me and i always save my kief for a blunt :D

4. Yeah I don't usually smoke straight keif, I'll always make hash just because it last alot longer and I just like it better. Just make sure after your grind your herb that you move it around and work it into the screen to get as much kief as possible.

5. aww man, you are bringing me back to the glorious days before my mom confiscated my Sharpstone grinder.

With high quality herb, I prefer to break it up into chunks. That said, there is something satisfying about grinding herb, like the deep scents of the plant are released. Plus it goes down real easy.

6. I always grind, I would rather have that kief in my grinder then on my fingers and the surface I'm breaking it over. Some people like to hand break it because it smokes slower, but I say if there is a grinder, use it.

7. Yeah i wish i still had my chromium crusher... that thing could tear through a load of the stickiest bud with ease. Now its sitting in some evidence room :(

8. getting a top of the line grinder is one of the best decisions you can make as a smoker.

9. Yes, you will lose potency from that bowl, however, the total amount of potency you can get from the bud does not change, as the trichs that have fallen off, are now in your grinder and can be used later (or at the same time if you tip them out on to the top of your bowl).

Theoretically breaking your bud could actually lowering the potency, because your bowl may not burn completely, eg you end up with a chunk of unburnt "coal" (it happens frequently with denser nuggets if your break them up instead of grinding).

If you’re breaking apart buds by hand you’re also loosing potential potency, because trichs are being rubbed off and absorbed by the finger tips.

10. you can also get an electric coffee grinder and watch those trichomes and kief rise straight to the cap. Oh wow! such separation. And then, harvest that straight from the cap... oh the glory days, when a lot of grams would result in a whole mountain of fluffy blond kief!!!

11. In the end you just have to decide for yourself. +1 for grinding! :hello:

12. Yeah i have always noticed a good deal sticking to my fingers when i break it apart and i feel wasteful. I think i'll grind everything from now on

13. I don't go anywhere without my grinder.
    Simple, black, magnetic, with a Kief collector, and even a little section to store my weed.
    Simple yet effective. Like an old freind to me now.

14. i always grind.
    as a vape user this is a must!

15. no negatives to it, unless you care about .02 that you lose each time but eventually will become .5-1g+ mix of the dankest herbs you've smoked only 10X better.

16. #16 bobwha, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2010
    I'd say grinding is better. If I break it up with my hand I get tons of trichomes on my fingers and can't get them back into the bowl.. but if I grind I save those trichomes for a later time :)

17. this. although I do not have a grinder atm I use scissors and cut it up as fine as I possibly can

though when I smoke I never grind.

18. Damn, now I'm sad cuz I dont have a grinder anymore :( My next 2 purchases will be a scale and a grinder. Anyways yeah, I always loved ground up weed for some reason.

19. LOL all your doing there is forcing plant matter thru screen not really keif.

best way would be to just gently roll the grinder from left to right for less than 10sec but keeping if flat

20. grind it man, seriously. get a good grinder that catches the kief and then you've got no problems. my grinder was the best investment i ever made, i dont think i have a pair of scissors in my house anymore and i dont fucking miss them either