Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Grinders, Screens and Kief

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by TheToad263, Oct 17, 2012.

1. So while I have been smoking for years, I just recently got the idea of getting a grinder with a screen and trying to harvest kief... well the grinder arrived today and after unpacking it I then put about 1.5-2 grams in it and then ground it up. Then I shook the whole thing for a minute, then I opened the very bottom where the kief is supposed to accumulate and there was almost nothing at all... now this is good quality bud here and there is plenty of THC crystals on them but I just cant get them to fall below the screen. I saw one video of a guy who suggested placing a nickel on the screen to help, but I am afraid this may harm the screen... and this is an expensive space case grinder so I cant break it. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

2. [quote name='"TheToad263"']So while I have been smoking for years, I just recently got the idea of getting a grinder with a screen and trying to harvest kief... well the grinder arrived today and after unpacking it I then put about 1.5-2 grams in it and then ground it up. Then I shook the whole thing for a minute, then I opened the very bottom where the kief is supposed to accumulate and there was almost nothing at all... now this is good quality bud here and there is plenty of THC crystals on them but I just cant get them to fall below the screen. I saw one video of a guy who suggested placing a nickel on the screen to help, but I am afraid this may harm the screen... and this is an expensive space case grinder so I cant break it. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.[/quote]

YES use a coin, makes a huge difference. Also, kief collects very slowly so you will need to grind a decent amount of bud to accumulate.

3. I tried the coin, not sure if it helped but I will just not think about it and go through an ounce or so then check the bottom after the ounce is gone... that will be a nice surprise for me when all the bud is gone and then I realize that there is a bunch of kief at the bottom waiting to be smoked.

4. Man, it takes a lot of bud. Even with the most crystally stuff. I suggest not opening your kief part of the grinder until you have grinded at least an ounce. Put it in the freezer, then shake it around with a nickel or dime in it, it helps.

5. the kief will stick to the bud if it isnt dry, some of the most dank weed i smoke left absolutely no kief in my grinder after grinding a quarter:p

6. Don't check it for a month or more, you should have a good amount.

:smoke:

7. most deffinitley takes close to an oz to have enough to enjoy doesnt matter how nice the bud or grinder is

8. I put 4 pennies in mine. Collects a dusting petty quick that way. I also let it sit on the screen for a while.

9. if i grind a quarter of my stuff, i have enough for a fat ass bowl of keif

10. its the bud man.
    plus it takes a while to generate a nice kief stash in a grinder.

look into a pollen box if you want quick amounts of kief.

11. Stick a dime in the herb catch, but top shelf weed, grind it up, shake it for as long as you want (just remember all the keif you collect is coming off the bud your gonna smoke later so save some and don't over-shake!!). It takes a while and is largely dependent on the quality of bud.

12. What's the purpose of a coin in the kief collector?

I just started using a grinder, I don't know how I made it this long without one buuuuuuuut - what's a coin do?

13. Put one in the top chamber and find out for yourself...
    I usually go a couple months before touching my keif. Never clean your grinder out because a shit ton of keif collects in the top chamber. When it starts to get really "dirty" I stick the grinder in the freezer, shake the bitch out and treat myself :smoke:

14. I was kinda wondering how to get the keif outta the screen and threads. So the freezer u say? Thanks man.

15. Freezing is especially helpful if you plan on making hash/concentrates. If you just want to scrape the keif out, cut up a guitar pic and scrape it up on the pic.
    oh and try not to touch your keif with your hands, like ever

16. [quote name='"br0ken"']

Freezing is especially helpful if you plan on making hash/concentrates. If you just want to scrape the keif out, cut up a guitar pic and scrape it up on the pic.
    oh and try not to touch your keif with your hands, like ever[/quote]

Does the freezer method apply to plastic/acrylic grinders ?

17. I have made the mistake of touching it.... What dose it do? Also, is there a thread on turning keif into hash?

18. What dose touching it do? Also, is there a thread on how to make hash outta keif?

19. When you shake the grinder keif goes everywhere, all of the compartments will get a coating and there won't be much in the actual keif part. Just be patient, if you regularly smoke their will be enough for a medium sized bowl in like 1-3 weeks

20. Oh god, I hope you Blades clean those coins first. Gross.