grinder vs breaking up by hand.

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by haus6969, Sep 1, 2008.

1. i got a cheap ass grinder but does its work... saves time and same high as you would break with fingers, on the other hand with a grinder it wont leave that heavenly smell on your fingers :)

2. Lol take it easy Mr.Seasoned Toker

3. it depends on the quality of the herb.

if you have some dank, breaking it up by hands is usually really hard for the sticky icky or fluffy strains.

so i try and stick with a grinder.

but on that dirt weed i just break it up by hand.

4. coffee grinder all the way thats what i use and have gotten all my friends to use it takes a second or two and its done and you have kief every single time...........so go to wal-mart and buy a $15 coffee grinder and it will change your smoking....

5. I prefer to use a grinder but dont mind using my hands my mom never had a grinder and didnt know about kief until i gave her a grinder and she came to get a bag one day and she was like I opened the bottom of the grinder you gave me and there was all this powder i smoked that she was fucking rocked

6. i prefer to grind my weed up. but if i only have a little bit left i just break it up by hand. my grinder in small, like 1.75 inches across so i can fit it in my pocket and it holds enough smoke for half a day.:D:smoke:

7. This is like asking is a martini should be shaken or stirred. It's a matter of preference.

I enjoy breaking them up by hand. I find it aesthetically pleasing. The tiny bit of resin/kief I might lose is nothing compared to what I usually wind up collecting anyways.

8. 1. grinder is quicker
    2. grinder can catch kieff
    3. you dont get sticky bud stuck all over your fingers
    4. smaller pieces in grinder

9. i prefer grinders. you save kief, plus i find that its much more evenly cut up = less running in joints

10. personally i use a grinder just for fact that when im bout to roll a blunt im not tryin to have sticky fingers while rollin and also usin the grinder with a keef catcher is always a plus.

11. Most of the kief you 'save' from grinding winds up in your pipe/whatever if you clean it by hand. A tiny bit sticks to your fingers and maybe another dusting floats away, but you're smoking it just the same.

Then again there's nothing at all wrong with grinding it. I do that for joints sometimes. As for my kief though, I collect enough from harvest and curing that I don't really worry about it when it comes down to my smoking buds.

12. Every time you touch the bud you take off some of the trichomes. I prefer to break it up by hand, but if it's really dank I love a grinder. Gotta get that kief :hippie:. This little guy is awesome!

13. i do the samee thing

14. I usually use a grinder, but i like to mix it up every now and then. My favorite way to pack a bowl is to put a chunk of a nug on the bottom, then smaller pieces of bud, then the ground shit. Dont ask me why, but thats the way i like it :smoke:

15. i use a grinder whenever possible it just rolls up so much nicer in a blunt plus its so fast and easy whats not to love

16. Not trying to call you guys idiots, but the only reason you have keef ina grinder is because the metal screen scrapes the crystal off the bud.
    when breaking by hand u do get a little thc on your finger but all the keef that would be on the grinder stays on the bud because its not scraped against a metal screen.

17. i suppose its a matter of personal preference, but my preferred method of smoking is via joints, and i enjoy the process of grinding and rolling. that being said i cant roll a good even burning j unless i grind it up real nice.

18. I always preferred scissors, chop it finely.

19. the oil from your skin is soaking up the keif that the grinder could be saving

20. #60 SpaDude, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2014
    Here's my take.  A grinder is quite convenient and yes it does catch all the kief but you are stripping your weed prior to smoking it.  If you can get high off of kief than the weed you are putting in your bowl or joint has just been weakened by grinding it since the kief is caught in a separate compartment.  I put this theory to the test and have found that I get higher by breaking it up by hand rather than grinding it but it would make sense since all the kief and flower are still together.  When it's been grinded I'm just getting a weaker hit. 

I know many of you think you are losing so much kief by breaking it up.  Trust me it isn't anything so dramatic that you have to be concerned about your weed losing it's potency.  I took a pair of latex gloves and broke up some weed over a piece of white paper.  The amount of weed that I was breaking up to put in my bowl hardly left a visible trace despite having a good amount of crystals.