grilling red meat

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by since93, May 26, 2011.

1. ok, this is how much i love my brothers and sisters on gc; i am going to write out the most simplest and the most effective way to get near-sweet tasting red meat done on the grill...for those that are into bbqs, you know preparing the meat beforehand is the be all end all of a good red meat.....

my criteria in determining if a grilled piece of red meat is done to perfection: my wife/buddy (or a normal female who usually doesnt like grilled red meat because the cook usually fucks it up) actually enjoys eating it AND has another piece.

ok here it is:

1. get the choicest cut of steak you can afford; and no, it doesnt have to be the most expensive and respectible cut will do...but dont get meat intended for roasts, etc...get like sirloins or antricotes

2. the meat should have the least amount of fat on it as possible...also make sure you only use the parts of the meat that doesnt have that thin white part running thru it, idk what you call it in english,...we call it "nerve" in turkish, you probably know what i mean..its the part that feels like plastic when you bite down on it, nasty as shit...anyway, dont use those parts (just cut them away, it doesnt matter if you get irregular sized meat pieces)

3. oooook...now. while buying the meat, have the butcher beat the meat to a thickness of 0.5 cms (around 1.25 inches)...or you could beat the meat at home, your call

4. at home, get a fork and fork the fuck out of each cut of meat that you have deveined and defatted...do both sides....and when i say fork it, i mean FORK it....

5. for every kilo of meat (kilo bought, not kilo in hand after deveining etc) (thats around 2 lbs) get 5-6 medium-to-large regular onions...chop these onions in a semicircular classic fashion BUT MAKE SURE the slices are THIN....NO THICK SLICES!!!

6. put the chopped onions and forked meat into a tall bowl that will comfortably accommodate both items.....then add around the equivalent of half a can of coke worth of olive oil (any olive oil will do, no need for expensive olive oil...but dont use canola or something)

7. now....for at least 10 minutes knead the mixture hard....make sure you are crushing the thin slices of onion as you knead the oil, meat and onions together....this needs to be done at least for 10 minutes and done like you mean it, no pussyfooting around....a good way is to think of your hated ones-no joke....(the sulphur in onion cells break down the composition of meat cells but if you dont do it right, your results will suck...the fork holes also help obviosuly)

8. then let the mixture sit for at least 2-3 hours...then get each piece out and wipe the onions off the pieces one by one...make sure you get as much onion off the pieces as you can....set all cleaned pieces aside

9. nearly there: now take every piece and beat them thinner....they were around 0.5 cms (1.25 inches) thick to start with...you need to get them down to a thickness of around 0.25 cms (0.6 inches)...but be careful..at this point the meat will have become very very tender so beat the meat gently so you dont pulverize the shit out of it

10. and youre ready to grill....one note of caution tho: when grilling, try and make sure you dont leave the meat on the grill too long because each piece is, at this point, very very tender and doesnt need to much grilling to get cooked (this is how it actually retains its juiciness as well)....do one side for like two minutes, then flip...two minutes more, then flip again until you get the desired doneness....important: dont try to grill one side to perfection, then start on the other side....no, do one side two mins, then the other two mins, keep at it this way and you should be done in two flips max anyway....

note: once you put the meat on the grill, dont fuck with it until the two mins are up or itll stick on the grill...give it those two minutes

hope you enjoy :smoke:

2. Great tips.

srs, also i would add in to get the grill as hot as you can so as to get a good sear on the steaks.

Also if you want those perfect grill marks, lightly stick tooth picks into the steaks when theyre on the grill so you have a reference for the perfect 90 degree turn. This results in perfect grill marks everytime.

3. Awesome, I'll try these tips with my brother. Red meat is hard to grill, everytime we just can't seem to get it right. Always a little red than preferred.