Greenhouse Options

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by Diatsu, Jun 1, 2016.

1. I am a caregiver to both my Mother, and my Brother. I am thinking about moving the growing into a greenhouse, to fix some of the problems we are experiencing; and as a gift to my hardworking mother. However, I have little to no experience with greenhouses, and my biggest problem is finding the right greenhouse, without getting ripped off. I'm looking for a greenhouse that can fit 12 plants, budding; with some room for moving around, and to make sure all plants get enough light, of course. But I also need it to be somewhat affordable. Of course, I could go drop 3 grand on a nice greenhouse that I know will work; but I would rather not. I also don't plan on filling the greenhouse with abunch of fancy machines. Some fans, maybe a dehumidifier, due to living in Maine.

Your responses are much appreciated. :)

2. Hoop house would be cheapest/easiest

Maybe 8x12

• Like Like x 1
  3. I was thinking a hoop shape as well. However, size is the biggest thing. I can't risk buying something too small and not have enough room for the plants. What would be the best size, where I know for a fact 12 plants will be able to fit, all budding.

4. You can make me it yourself pretty easily.

When you will be putting plants in it and how long they are going to be in there and what skills you have in lst will dictate how large of a space you need.
    As well As what strains indica/hybrid/sativa/autos

Where you live and its climate also

Maybe build 8' high and 8' wide giving you 3 feet on each side and a 2 ft walk way in between.
    Are you going to force flower? Or let nature run its course?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Didn't realize you were in Maine. I think 8' high would be good if you run shorter plants.

6. build larger than you think you will need. 8' high will not be enough even in maine. look for quality used greenhouses on craigslist, or look into hoopbenders.net. They only bend 1.315" pipe, so 3 season structure ONLY. If I were building again, I'd find a way to get 14 or better head space.

a dehumidifier won't do much good in a greenhouse unless it is tight. you would be better off to get a heater and drive off moisture at night with it, setting 5-10 degrees above ambient temps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. didn't mention. . . i did 12 plants in a 24x16' structure and it was in no way enough space, especially considering the regs for medical where I'm at. . . 44 degrees north btw.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Sorry bout that post! Didn't mean to reply and I can't figure out how to delete a post...
    I am seeking best hoop house options. Just for covering from heavy rains and wind for last few weeks of harvest. Obviously to avoid mold and PM.
    Need to cover 12- 5'x40' beds.
    Thinking pvc over 2 beds so we have the aisle in the middle. That would be 6 - 12' x 40' beds. Realistic?