Green light

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by michaelbakken, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Quick and simple, could I use a green-colored light while my plant's in it's dark cycle to utilize the room that the plant's in?
    I'm feeling I should just not mess with it and leave the room alone; but hey, why not exploit the availability if it's there.
    Any input is appreciated.

2. What exactly are you trying to use this room for other than growing? It is best that no lights get to the plants during the dark stage, even a green one.

3. I've read some growers from Europe do this technique. Apparently plants do not use green light waves, hence the green color of chlorophyll. They say it works but I have no personal experience with it, I'd rather wait till the lights turn on then make my grow room into a darkroom.

4. I used to use a green lamp to work on my plants when I couldn't do it while the lights were on. Never had a problem with it.

5. I idea that the green color in chlorophyll come from a green light is absurd, NEVER use green light during flowering, EVER. Your severely fucking up its sleep and that does all kinds of bad things, including increasing ethelyne hormone level which stop cell growth.

THE ONLY time anyone uses green light correctly is in a room of mothers, what this does is keeps the hormones Abscisic acid and Auxin low and in turn keeps all preflowers off the plants. The reason for this is that flowers produce powerful flowering hormones that mess with clones ability to root and be viable, so by using a green light you never have to worry about your mother going to bud, having said that if have tired running a green light and noticed flowers don't be surprised and think that you are helping the plant. a small green light has so few lumens coming off it that you might still flower but your just fucking your self with a pointless green light that is hurting your plants ability to make the right rations of hormones for a good result.
    I use one some times to get my plants vegged and as big as i want them, for instance, you should be ready to change photoperiod and nutrients when a plant starts to flower but if for instance you had two plants in one hydro reservoir you could run a green light until your sure that both plants have lived long enough to be ready to flower then take off the green switch your light to 12/12 switch nutrients and watch both plants flower within hours of each other, might sound confusing and pointless but plants are usually ready for budding nutrients at different times and that is a method of getting them on the same schedule.

This is just education and not all that closely related to the post except that i can't stress enough that NO light At All should be hitting the plant while it's trying to sleep.

Get ride of that crazy idea

Best of luck

6. #6 trichome fiend, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011

...man, wtf are you talking about? :confused:?????? I use a green light in my room almost EVERYDAY. Have a look into my journal linked in my sig.....
    Chlorophyll absorbs light and provides the energy for photosynthesis. The wavelength in which chlorophyll works best is in the red and blue range, and therefore does not absorb the green wavelength which is why leaves appear green. There are 2 chlorophylls at work - "a" and "b". They both operate in a slightly different frequency, thus increasing the total energy use from the sun. Chlorophyll "a" operates in the 400-450 & 650-700 nm frequencies (purple and red) while "b" operates in the 450-500 & 600-650 nm frequencies (blue and orange). They also generally exist in a 3 to 1 ratio, a to b. The gap left (500 - 600 nm) is the green zone. In some tree's leaves, the chlorophyll "a" is less dominant, therefore there is an increase in the anount of purple and red wavelengths reflected, hence the leaves are more purpley in colour, while the tree is still able to photosynthesize.

absorspect.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. I wont argue but go read the growers horticulture bible, It clearly clearly states that green light inhibit flowing, I've got it here in front of me, they need their sleep, and besides they they need GROW SPECTRUM to get Chlorophyll moving not just the color of the bulb

your mumbo about light wave length is true but DUDE its supposed to be pitch black during the dark hours, and no matter what you say if you give a flowing plant light at night you are inhibiting bud growth,

Light at night builds up ethylene and inhibits growth, basic horticulture

8. ...the side effects of inconsistant light patterns would be hermaphroditism with sensimilla cannabis.....I've been using green lights in my rooms for years, and guess what???? SENSIMILLA ALLLLLLLLL DAY HERE. :wave: ....I average 1 lb per 600 watt HPS. So not only can I link you to resources, but, my science has been done by my own experience.

9. DO PLANTS hermaphrodite off light from the moon? NO but they are inhibited slightly by it, If you have very few lumens at night then of coarse your still gonna flower of coarse your gonna bud but just because you have a green light on and your budding doen't mean that the green light is helping. I repeat ETHYLENE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH hermaphroditism IT HAS TO DO WITH GROWTH if you have to much ETHYLENE then your plants are being inhibited. ETHYLENE only stops being produced and released rapidly when lights are all off . i really don't care if you wanna reduce your harvest by interrupting their sleep go for it, more power to ya, but bragging about 1lb per 600 is not gonna blow my socks of, pretty bad ratio really compared to what i get

10. ...I never said a green light helps, OMG. I enter my flowering room during the dark period with a green light all the time, near daily, and have noticed no difference with or without the light, that's my point. It works, bottom line.

11. you've never noticed a difference, how would it even be possible to tell if your only giving it enough light to hurt it and not herm it. think it would be blazingly obvious? i didn't mean to say that you were saying a green light helps, But regardless plants don't want distributiveness at all, OBVIOUSLY the plant isn't going to turn to you and let you know in some obvious way that it doesn't like it but to simply say i don't see an obvious difference there isn't one is laughable. let em sleep, you fuck the ethylene exchange you make them start to close their stoma your literally going in there and throwing the hormones off balance slightly every night.

12. Quick and simple, no.

13. ....I grew for a couple years, not using the green light at all....now, I use the green light when I need to get in my room during dark periods. My yields are actually more these days, but I don't credit that towards the green light that I use for say, 10 minutes per day.

...but, on another note, Jorge talks about just this issue, watch this video, start it at 7:35....still laughable?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N25Y2DnHBjo&feature=related]YouTube - Ultimate Grow DVD Legendado - Part3 LIGHTS[/ame]

14. ....yes you can man....this is nonsense.

15. With a long explanation I could get into how a green light could be used, what kind of green light it has to be, what the limitations are, etc. But he wanted the quick and simple answer, and "yes" is not the quick and simple answer.

16. To all the people that say you can't use a green light at night for one reason or another - you obviously used the wrong type of light. You can't just use a freakin' "party light."

Good day.

17. ^The OP wanted the quick and simple answer. Now you're getting into the long and complicated answer... ;)

18. toastybiz, I like your style. Could you point me to a not-so-simple answer, though? Redbarron and trichome friends' debate has me a tad confused, yet I'd really like to utilize tweaking the plant while it's in its dark cycle.

19. DONT do it, you will thank yourself later.

20. OK, put aside the discussion of whether green light is safe and if so what kind and so forth and just take a step back. We know that messing with the dark cycle can really screw up a plant, send it hermie and ruin it. And during flower cycle the lights are on for 12 full hours out of every 24. So why even tempt fate? Tend to your plants during the light cycle, there should be plenty of time for that, and you can even arrange the plant's schedule to better suit your own to make sure that happens. Then you can leave the dark cycle dark.

Put it another way: look at the two choices and consider the absolute worst outcome if you're wrong about each one. First, let's say you could have used green light but instead you left the dark dark, what's the worst that happened? You maybe had to squeeze tending to the plants into a narrower time window, but it would seem that given 12 possible hours that it wouldn't be too inconvenient. But let's say you did use green light but you shouldn't, what's the worst that happened? You ruined your crop. On balance, I don't see the point in taking the risk.

As for what's going on with MJ and green light, here's my take: MJ can "see" green light, but barely. The real issue is the definition of "green light". You have to remember that humans perceive light, we sense it, we don't absorb and experience it directly the way plants do. So what looks green to our eyes usually is a blend of many colors of light (Don't believe it -- then how come when you shine white light through a prism you get all those colors? Because the prism breaks the light according to different spectra, revealing the colors that make up the white light but that our eyes don't perceive when it is all blended together). So, to say "green light is OK" would send many growers off in the wrong direction -- they would get green Walmart party bulbs or something and end up messing up their plants.

There are true green lights sold specifically for horticulture purposes, and green LEDs. Are they really safe for plants during dark cycle? Honestly I don't know, but to me even trying to use a green light is asking for trouble. For example, suppose the green light you use is OK for the plants but you expose them to other light that can whack them as you enter and leave the grow space? Back to my first point: you can avoid all of this if you just find time within the 12 hours of every 24 the light is on and just leave the dark dark.