[Green Inventions] Automated Grow Op

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Awesome Al, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Okay so here is my idea - I have plans drawn up and I will be getting a patent as an

Automated Home Horticultural Growing Environment

Features
    ---------

• Monitors Temperature, Soil pH, Humidity and Lighting
    • Regulated Feeding and Watering
    • Undetectable to IR Cameras
    • Complete Air Filtration System Keeps Smells From Escaping
    • Zero Human Contact with Plants in Ideal Growing Scenario

Size goes from 5x5x5 (LxWxH) in feet.

All I need are programmers to code the software and the rest can be left to myself.

Selling the plans for the AHHGE for 45 USD since the parts aren't too specific you can just buy the parts yourselves and follow my instructions for construction.

That is the plan for selling it anyways -

The actually working prototype is yet to be built because of the lack of a programmer(s).

This would revolutionize growing since you can grow in your house undetected by Landlords/Parents/Room Mates etc

You could even make this using a shoebox-sized enclosure for one plant to an entire room dedicated to it.

2. If you have any community colleges by your school you could take some lessons their if you're pretty good with computers. Learning to program will be one of the more frustrating things you do especially when learning. Good luck tho that sounds like something I'd be interested in doing once im out of University and in my own house.

3. #3 nfs924, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2010
  4. This doesn't seem to hard. I'm a comp sci student and as a hobby I build devices using microprocessors. Its got lots of online support and its easy to get the hang of. TBH monitors aren't needed something like a 4x20 LCD would be good.

5. You might want to add in computer-controlled CO2 monitoring and dispersal.

I don't think the 'zero human contact' will benefit the plants in any way. Humans are not harmful to the plants. Also how would your system detect nutrient deficiencies, insect infestations, overwatering, etc? A person needs to pay attention to the plants and inspect them.

What is your plan for lighting? It is the Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium lights that are detectable by IR cameras due to the heat they generate.

zombiecrab, I'm curious to learn more details about doing things like that. Do you basically solder parts together? How do you program them? If I were to even consider a system like this I would want it to be networked. I'd want to get fancy and have all the statistics tracked in a database as well.

6. Kinda Firstly you need a programmer (I use the Wisp). Then you need to choose a language, you have the choice of C, Assembler or JAL a language developed just for PIC's. then choose your chip. I would start with the 16f877 its got lots of features like analogue digital conversion and PWM. I haven't played with it yet but some of the newer PICS have Ethernet protocols built into them.

To use all this you will need a basic understanding of electronics and some dev equipment like a multimeter and a breadboard. Passive components are cheap (resistors, capacitors, ...) Basicly find a project on the net that interests you (I suggest looking for JAL projects) buy the materials needed and get cracking.