Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Green Dragon/extract questions

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by hamsto, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Howdy GC! I want to make some GD!

...but i have a few questions.

I'm using this green dragon recipe i found here.
    Drugs And Booze Forum

Does it seem like it would produce a potent batch?

I'm only going to be making a small batch with what i have left of a bottle of 151 Rum (about 1.5 oz) because basically i don't want to buy a bottle of Everclear for something I'm unsure of.

I can't really do a decarb because of my living situation. Is there a smell-less way?

What's the best packaging to freeze my bud in so that i don't lose a lot of trichomes or damage it?

Because 151 is weaker than Everclear should I let it "cook" for longer?

If i leave it longer will it increase the potency? Maybe i should if i don't decarb?

Those are my questions GC
    Dank you very much:hello:

2. You need to decarb, it won't smell with the amount that you need, but if you only have 1.5 oz alcohol you need to do a frozen extraction, that will all evaporate off by the time it's done if you heat it up. Freeze it for 24+ hours, shaking it up often, that's gonna be a rough extraction.

3. Thanks for the reply man.

So is the frozen extraction anything different than what was described in those instructions?

Would it be okay to decarb in a microwave?

I have no problem with taking my time on the process, i have plenty of herb to smoke in between ;)

4. Noooooo, never microwave, do it in the oven at 220F for 25 mins or so, ground up finely. If you have the time, keep it in the freezer for 48 hours just for good measure, and it should be great. I decarb half oz's at a time with no smell at all, from good trim, I wouldn't worry about smell. Use a fan, and open a window if necessary.

5. At what point in the process should i decarb?

Sorry for the newb questions, this is my first time making an "edible"

6. first

7. Yep, toss that ground up nug into an appropriately sized dish, cover in tin foil, put it in the oven (before turning the oven on), set the oven to 220F, and once the oven reaches a full preheat count down 25 mins from there. After that, turn off the oven, crack the door, and when it's cool your bud will be decarboxylated and ready to be put into the alcohol.

Check out this link for a GD recipe, this is the way you want to go

http://forum.grasscity.com/incredib...5-another-tincture-thread-try-youll-like.html

8. Thanks for all your help guys!
    So to confirm.
    Grind bud
    Decarb
    Freeze ingredients seperately for 24-48 hours
    Combine and shake for 15 min or so
    Shake every 4 hours repeatedly
    (Im not really planning on doing a lot of straining because of lack of materials)
    Try and evaporate off some alcohol to concentrate mixture
    Enjoy?

9. yeah,think so,I decarb half oz's at a time with no smell at all, from good trim, I wouldn't worry about smell[​IMG]

10. Yeah, freeze separately for a couple hours, enough to get a base temperature, but otherwise freeze them together, it will help break down the glandular material.

11. After freezing separately for 24 hours and the first shake, you'll place it back in the freezer for one more 4 hour period, shake it again and strain. After you've strained it, put it through a paper coffee filter to remove the trichome husks. That 4 hour period can be longer if it's bedtime or something like that, but that should be be last shake. If you leave it longer than that you start getting a lot more of the crappy stuff.

After that I like to put the weed back in the freezer for another 24 hours with the alcohol separate and do another run exactly the same way, but you don't have to. It just makes more final product. If you don't do a 2nd run, save your leftovers in the freezer to add to your next time.

You need to reduce the alcohol by half to get a decent tincture. You had the process right. I just wanted to clarify a couple of things. I hope you enjoy it. :D

12. I wasn't able to find the recipe you were referencing on that link. For me it was an index. No biggie. If you're putting reefer in the freezer for a tincture, place it in a sealable jar that will hold the alcohol. That way you won't lose trichomes when transferring containers. If you're putting reefer in the freezer to store, the best option is vacuum sealing before placing in the freezer. For storage you don't want the trichomes falling off so the vacuum sealing is perfect.

151 will make as good a tincture as Everclear but you may want to reduce it down a little more to make up for the difference in alcohol content. You should get a sweet, golden solution.

You don't need to decarb if you don't want and you'll still get a strong tincture but the effects will be more cerebral and energetic, not as much couchlock or body. Those is even more pronounced if you use a dominant Sativa. My recommendation is to always decarb your first time through to ensure you get the effects you expect. After you've made a few batches and are comfortable with it, then you can start fiddling with it to customize it to your particular desires.

Depending on the kind of reefer you're using, it may already be naturally decarbed. If you're using fresher weed like dank buds, you would normally decarb it. If you leave it out in a dark place, it could decarb sufficiently in a day, when it's crispy. Decarbing is just a drying process. Leaving it out will do the same thing. Stir it occasionally and, if bud, be sure it's broken up. :)