Great video succinctly debunking the notion of "White Privilege"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BlazedGlory, Jun 23, 2017.

1. After hearing about this black only graduation event over at UoT I have to ask myself how people still believe in this myth.
    Black graduates celebrated at special University of Toronto ceremony

Despite it being debunked 100x it still seems to be a mainstream belief. And it's bad for everybody, it breeds resentment among white people when you tell them that any success they achieve in their life is at least partially undeserved, and it breeds resentment among minorities who honestly believe their race limits what they can achieve in a country like Canada or America. It just stokes racial animosity on both sides rather than improving anything.

Anyway great video you guys should check it out.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Most people I know who are poor here in the neighbourhoods are white and living on welfare.

I'm probably the only minority (Hispanic/Russian) here in my particular building, but of course .. it didn't use to be that way. We have had Indians moving in .. but pretty much 99% of Indians either work or study. You'll hardly ever see an unemployed Indian.. though I know of one, only one .. he doesn't live here .. lol

Well .. I'd say it's almost 50-50 .. they're either white unemployed, or they're Native/Maori. Some 'hoods have more of a Maori dominant population than others.

I don't think being 'white' automatically leads to better opportunities. Rather, being a minority can sometimes cause you to face employment discrimination.. but that doesn't mean Whites have it easy .. rather, some minorities have it hard under certain circumstances.

I mean.. you try being a gay black man applying for a job as a teacher at a Catholic school. Obviously, you're more likely to have your application rejected. Then again, have that gay black male apply for a job at a hair salon - and BAM .. he's hired.

So there's many areas in which whites have it easier, but the opposite is also very true. I mean, look at Eminem, and how much racism he had to deal with while trying to make it in the Underground hip hop scene living in a predominately black neighbourhood. 8-Mile wasn't a right-wing propaganda movie, either .. it was just real life.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. On one hand, I agree it's easier to be white in the US/Europe/etc. than non-white in most cases.

On the other, it is so wildly blown out of proportion, and mainly used as a tool to browbeat whites and justify hatred toward them, that the term is poisoned and should be put to rest.

Whatever happened to just calling racism what it is, without having to add this original sin guilt BS to it?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Decades long studies on white privilege debunked in a 7 minute YouTube video that contains zero facts, buzzwords, and "stats" with no correlation or proportions accounted for. Idk what I expected.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. I think it's fair to say if you swing the pendulum too far any any one direction you don't fix the problem, you just create a new one.

And that's unfortunately where we stand now. People would rather argue about who has it worse than work toward a better country where we all have a more equal footing.

It should be all of us vs the government. Instead it's the government happily pulling our strings to keep us all fighting among ourselves. Meanwhile they get away with murder.

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. I think that should pretty much be the conclusion of this thread.

• Like Like x 3
  7. I guess it's just a coincidence that every time I hear someone foaming at the mouth over "White Privilege", it's coming from an incompetent bigot.

Surprises all around.

• Like Like x 4
  8. The video doesn't even touch on important statistics such as single parenthood and how it directly correlates to poverty and crime statistics. Larry Elder does a better job on this subject. People are privileged foremost because of their parents good decisions. Get married if you're gonna have kids, people. The guy in that vid was condescending and not the good kind.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Basically the only reasoned argument in favor of this idea is statistics on income and other socioeconomic disparities. But these have been shown time and again not to be the product of any kind of institutional discrimination.

Like in America many colleges actively discriminate against Asian kids, literally knocking 50 points off their SAT scores, yet Asians still outperform whites and everyone else in many of these metrics that are supposedly used to measure privilege. Maybe it's because, as a racial group, they tend to take better advantage of the opportunities they do have rather than crying for more opportunity.

They have real, undeniable discrimination against them in education, yet they still post the best educational outcomes by race. That actually makes me feel optimistic though, it shows that your own decisions and actions can overcome any disadvantage you might have.

Nobody is equal in life, it's just not reality. We all start at different places, have different gifts and talents, and we all make different decisions based on an innumerable number of factors. Realizing that, how could we ever expect everyone's life outcomes to be the same? That is completely illogical. Especially measuring by the completely arbitrary metric of race.

I just don't see why people have such a hard time getting past things like race and seeing themselves as individuals.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. White priveledge in today's America has more to do with dealing with law enforcement or running for office.(particularly federal)

White people love being authority figures and can be treated well by them. Weird if you think about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. These beliefs aren't actually borne out by the facts either. If you take a comprehensive look at data on crime and police activity, there's definitely no law enforcement bias in favor of white people, especially if you're talking about a nationwide trend. If you compare proportion of police shootings to the overall black crime rate, you'd actually expect there to be more.

As for running for office, I'm not sure what the argument here is. We're talking elections right? I guess you could argue that there's "white privilege" if you assume that white people will automatically prefer a white candidate, but again, looking at the facts, we can see that many white Americans voted for Obama, and contrary to popular belief, quite a few (more than expected) black people voted Trump.

I just don't see it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. For real tho I'm sick of hearing other races yell white people are rasist while chanting kill whitey if this was to happen where I live I swear someone would be dead brokest county in the state 78 % white 11black I swear just pisses me off the majority of whites dismiss a persons color all together

Daddy's medicine grow adventure 1

• Like Like x 3
  13. I've seen it plenty in California and AZ.

They do a great job of hiding it from other while people.

14. The problem is this debate is judged solely through the lens of extremely idiotic people and the sane people are largely ignored. You only ever hear about the kill Whitney posts or alt right veiled racist bullshit and never a meaningful nuanced conversation. It's very likely that African Americans do face some discrimination in many areas in employment, police interactions, and court systems. There is some decent studies that tend to show this is the case across the board. But this statement doesn't invalidate the fact that being black can be advantageous in certain situations for certain people. I think the percent of kill whitey people and there is zero racism people are the loud minority

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. It's likely that everyone faces some form of "discrimination" in their lives, from various people, for various reasons. Including black people of course. But if you've seen some research that shows evidence of any kind of universal white privilege in any white majority country, I'd love to have a look at it. I really would.

When evaluating research, especially studies that you hear about through the media, always ask yourself "is there a better, simpler explanation for these findings?". Like the statistic that black people tend to get longer sentences, is that accounting for all the factors? Maybe black people are more likely to take plea agreements, maybe they are less likely to have a competent lawyer, maybe they are more likely to flip off the judge etc..

Sociology is an inexact science at best too, and a large portion of social science research can't be reliably replicated, so take any "study" that claims to measure something as intangible as prejudice with a large dose of salt. The problem is the media will report on studies that make such claims, and most people won't look into it any further than that. This leads to large amounts of people believing in extremely dubious ideas like "White Privilege".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. it's clear you only have one oar in the water. I know book-learnin' is highly advised-against these days among kiddies, but if you're so concerned about the issues of racism, white privilege, and how they affect issues like the prison industrial complex, give books like "The New Jim Crow" "A Dying Colonialism" or "Dear White America" a read. You might actually learn something... that has actual facts. or don't, keep paddling in circles thinkin' you're onto something.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. I do deal in facts, they are what I prefer to deal in. That's why I usually like to discuss peer reviewed research rather than some book that equates mass incarceration with Jim Crow. There are far more prisoners in America than there should be, I agree, but that's the result of the drug war and doesn't just affect black people.

And like I've been saying, the whole idea that there's a "white America" and a "black America" is exactly the kind of thinking that keeps racial animosity alive. The idea that's there some kind of universal white or black American experience has basis in fact.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I mean, these black U of T students give being interrupted in the classroom as an example of racism. That's an extremely warped perception of reality. :laughing:

• Like Like x 4
  20. Yeah, I'm sure "the gooch" has it all figured out

• Funny Funny x 1