Great speech for gay rights.

Discussion in 'General' started by Nukes1337, Dec 1, 2011.

1. sounded like a dramatic monologue...

and that lady in the bottom staring at him was creeping me out haha

2. My best friend through out highschool was primarily raised by his lesbian parents. They were the coolest chicks ever, made super good food, listened to legit music (ie BIG & Tupac) and had sick cars.

If anyone messed with him about it he'd jack them up lol, didn't hurt that the kid was huge, lettering in football for varsity since 9th grade.

Basically I've been supportive of homosexuality my whole life, and I'm sick of people loosely using the word "faggot" and being close-minded about it. One of my favorite quotes is:

"Don't like gay marriage? Don't get one. Don't like abortions? Don't get one. Don't like drugs? Don't do them. Don't like sex? Don't have it. Don't like your rights taken away? Don't take away anyone else's."

Edit: My friends name is Zach too and the last names are also eerily similar, weird.

3. Gay's can have all the rights they deserve but I dont thing marriage is a right. I really have nothing against most gays, but I cant understand at all why they feel the need to alter the way they speak when they decide to come out as gay. It's irritating. If your a guy who talks like a chick, don't expect my respect.

4. If you're a guy who disrespects other guys because of the way their voice sounds, don't expect my respect. :wave:

By the way, sometimes there isn't a whole lot you can do to help the voice thing. Gay guy's voices are sometimes higher than the average straight guy's no matter if we like it or not. I don't go out of my way to sound higher pitched, I just fucking am, so get a life and leave people alone about stuff they can't help.

I understand that some gay guys are annoying as fuck and act like teenage girls with all of their dumbass inflection, but that usually isn't an all the time thing. A lot of gay guys like to play around on pride weekends, etc, but they don't magically change pitch for just the weekend, that's just they way their voice is.

I hope I don't sound too harsh because I'm really not that uptight about stuff like this, but just make sure you have a heart for those who might struggle with not being able to help their annoying voice. :smoke:

5. Good speech...Allow me to pull a popular political move here:

He only accounts for less than 1% of people affected by such relationships.

Afterwards they will pull a statistic encompassing far less than 1% of a population and say "See!":cool:

6. Ok to the person who said they don't like the word fag/faggot it's just a word like ****** kyke gyp gook they're only bad if you give them the power to be bad and the more we try to eradicate these words the more power we give to them if everyone said nigge r that word would have no offensive meaning

7. [quote name='"thelizardkin"']Ok to the person who said they don't like the word fag/faggot it's just a word like ****** kyke gyp gook they're only bad if you give them the power to be bad and the more we try to eradicate these words the more power we give to them if everyone said nigge r that word would have no offensive meaning[/quote]

I call white people nigg ers all the time.

Lmao once in high school this black chick heard me and looked at who I was talking to and had the most hilarious reaction I've ever seen.

So many emotions played across her face in less than a second. It was an epic win.

Personally, I don't give a shit what people say it's their right as a person to say fucked up things.

8. The effect of the word rightfully lies with the intention of the person who spoke it, not the ears of the listener. If a word is used as a derogatory term, then it is derogatory. If it is used lightheartedly, it is lighthearted. One cannot just "take away" the power from someone using the word harmfully, because the harm isn't with the word itself. The feelings you get when the word is used to hurt aren't from the word, it's from that other human being, your peer, disrespecting you in such a matter and loathing you, thinking you are disgusting. The n word is a good example of this. It's now more often used as a playful term between younger black guys now than in a discriminatory manner, meaning it wasn't ever the word, it's how it was used.

9. but = disregard my post up to this point.

Everyone I know with 'the accent' has had it before they realized they were gay. People have to have a specific accent to gain your respect? What an odd qualifier.

10. I always enjoy reading your posts, Ken. You're a smart guy. I do disagree though that words don't have power outside of the person using them.Words carry connotation and history. Even if we use n***** in a lighthearted fashion and without intent to discriminate, the word still carries the history of oppression, it still carries the heavy meaning of inequality, and there is still a bond of hatred attached to it that we will never wash away.

I don't mean to be offensive here, but I think it's kind of blind to think or hope that the meaning of words and their history can disappear if we say them enough or use them satirically or casually. I agree what hurts the most is when someone is intentionally using these words to belittle you, but they wouldn't have that effect if they were powerless.

I think it's more ideal to just use better speech. We have a vast vocabulary available to us, there's really no need to use words that carry hate.

11. [quote name='"chocobo"']
    I always enjoy reading your posts, Ken. You're a smart guy. I do disagree though that words don't have power outside of the person using them.Words carry connotation and history. Even if we use n***** in a lighthearted fashion and without intent to discriminate, the word still carries the history of oppression, it still carries the heavy meaning of inequality, and there is still a bond of hatred attached to it that we will never wash away.

I don't mean to be offensive here, but I think it's kind of blind to think or hope that the meaning of words and their history can disappear if we say them enough or use them satirically or casually. I agree what hurts the most is when someone is intentionally using these words to belittle you, but they wouldn't have that effect if they were powerless.

I think it's more ideal to just use better speech. We have a vast vocabulary available to us, there's really no need to use words that carry hate.[/quote]

Oh yes, I totally agree. There does need to be some mutual agreement or understanding between those using the word positively to ignore the historic meaning of the word in favor of the new word. Words always have their etymology and really, IMHO etymology should be taught just as much as spelling.

It's like how I have an agreement with my friends that they can use the word fag for jokes and such and that I'm alright with it, but whenever the word comes up, you still remember the more harsh connotation whether you choose to ignore it or not.

I also completely agree with your last paragraph. Friends should be more compassionate towards each other, really, but I think our culture is too desensitized nowadays. This attempt at overusing the word is just a way of further desensitizing, which seems to be the coping mechanism of choice in society.

So, I would affirm that one can deflect the power of words, but overall I agree that it's best to avoid them, as words are powerful and how they affect you is very circumstantial.

12. 100% agree. That was very well put. Not a whole lot more I can say or add. :wave:

13. ive never completely understood this but are gay people actually born gay or do they convert...

honest question.

14. Best acting award 2012 goes to that guy.

15. [quote name='"GillyTHEkid"']ive never completely understood this but are gay people actually born gay or do they convert...

honest question.[/quote]

No one knows. Some scientists speculate it has to do with a person's environment so they convert later on in life. Some speculate it has to do with hormones when they're born.

Being a firm believer in evolution and science, I believe that something is changed or absent within a homosexual's/lesbian's brain while they're developing. I am NOT saying that something is 'wrong' with them while they're developing.

I just believe that humans, as any other species on earth, are equipped and meant for reproduction. Obviously homosexuality does not help reproduction. Looking from a purely evolutionary/scientific view point, I would say that something is different about a homosexual individual from the time they are born.

That being said, gays and lesbians have my respect ten-fold and I support all of their rights.

16. It's exactly as WakenBake1124 stated, it's unknown currently. So it really comes down to personal belief whether or not you think it's something that happens at birth or something that happens in the process of development.

17. Whether homosexuality is a product of genetics or environment, it is still not a choice either way. I know you're not saying that but some people reading may get confused.

18. so if they're missing a chromosome its like a human being born with a malfunction, like autism? could that be considered a retardation?