Great places to get free music LEGALLY

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by SkateAndBake, Jun 12, 2010.

1. I wanted to start this thread to share the places I know about to get free music. I dont use the torrents or limewire or anything, I either get it free from a legal source or use itunes. I was also wondering if anyone else had good sources for free downloads like music blogs or whatever.

Here's what I use:

www.purevolume.com
    www.datpiff.com
    www.hillydilly.com

Anyone else know of good sites with legal music downloads?

2. i use the illegal ones lol

3. Really, nobody?

4. I will admit, I use torrents a lot, I went the legal way a long time, and the absolute best is the Zune pass. For 14.99 a month you can "rent" (as-long as you keep paying month you can keep listening to the music, you're really buying a license to listen to the music for a month) now, that may seem a little high/pricey, but they let you pick 10 songs per month that you are allowed to have and keep in mp3 format.

It's by far the best deal on the net if your looking for the legal route.

I also just wanted to point out, you posted about finding music legally, yet you posted on a board dedicated to smoke bud. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash or hate, I just wanted to point out the ironic (thats ironic right?)

5. I cant smoke weed and buy my music? :rolleyes: Lol, it doesnt seem ironic to me that I pay for my my music and I smoke weed. I mean, you;re suggesting that because people smoke weed ilegally they would also automatically download music ilegally. I dont know, seems like flawed logic to me.

Here's another great blog for music downloads.

Spinner - Free MP3s, Interviews, Music News, Live Performances, Songs and Videos

6. Zune Pass is pretty thuggin'.

7. If your into EDM check out
    soundcloud.com
    Not sure how big that site is, but a lot of the big name DJs from around here use that site. And most of them have their stuff available for free downloads, but even it its not up to download you can still listen to it.

8. I understand that it's legal and all, so thats nice, but for 15 dollars you get 10 SONGS? I ... seriously ... I download thousands of songs a day, I listen to hundreds of new songs a week, and am always just .. happy. Always something fresh and new. For people that only like ... 10 songs in the whole world ... I guess thats ok.... but who the hell can live on less than 500 songs a week. I'm literally flabbergasted. If that's the best thing in free, legal music getting... I am not surprised so many ppl download at all...

9. Am I really going to be the first one to post this...

You can find virtually any album you want for FREE by doing this simple google search:

"(artist) (album) mediafire/blogspot/rapidshare"

For example, if I wanted to find the new Flying Lotus album I would search:

"Flying Lotus Cosmogramma mediafire" or "Flying Lotus Cosmogramma blogspot"

REALLY simple and it always turns up results.

10. sadsteve, although their selection isn't the best

11. Here's a blog that's focused mainly on little known unsigned bands who have free music to offer, which is always good if you're looking for new music.

Legal Free Downloads