Gravity

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Sitting Bowl, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Alright so the other day in my astronomy class, my teacher was trying to tell me that gravity doesnt really apply to anything, and what we experience is just alterations in SPACETIME! I was super baked and this totaly blew my mind. Anyone have some insight on this, cause im stupid and forgot most of it.

2. hmm... no idea.
    i want to take astronomy :) But then again, I hear it can get quite tedious at times.

3. im taking astronomy right now

its fuckin awesome the shit we talk abotu

but the work is a fuckin bitch.............but man talk abotu some cool thoughts u get, especially when baked

4. Ya man we just were talking about this stuff, and Im pretty sure that its called String Theory. Look into it, it blows my mind!

5. yeah i saw a video about string theory in my physics class it's really interesting but idk it seems like a bunch of bull to me then again we used to think the world was flat so... but the video just kinda turned me off to the idea cause it wasn't that great of a film i must admit amazing concepts of interlapping universes and such. really quite intriguing if you're the science nut who's into quantum mechanics but not that easy to understand for the average person not to mention that most of the science world probably rejects this stuff.

6. Actually what you are talking about is part of Einstein's famous General Theory of relativity. Since time and space form one homogenous 'fabric' upon which all matter is placed, an objects mass has a direct effect on the 'shape' of the spacetime 'fabric' around it. With super massive bodies such as the sun, or even earth, the warping of spacetime is so significant that an object traveling without any accelerating forces (or maybe even with accelerating forces, if the timespace warping is severe enough, such as with the 'event horizon' of a black hole) through space will form an orbit around the massive body, even though it is technically still traveling forward. The string theory as far as im familiar with it deals with the composition of sub-atomic particles and tying the so far mutually exclusive Special and General Theories of Relativity and quantum mechanics together.

7. **
    that was my brain 3 minutes ago * this is my brain now