Gravity

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by lonew0lf420, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Gravity does not seem like that strong of a force, for example if we as people way so less compared to the earth:5.9742e24 kilograms, person:78.5 kg and
    if (acceleration)(mass of person)=Fg=(mass of earth)(acceleration)
    so (9.8)(78.5kg)=739.9N=(5.9742e24kg)(a)
    a=1.23849218e-22 Or the acceleration of the earth to us as a 78.5kg male is .0000000000000000000001.24 meters per second. You would think that something so massive would like magnetize us to the ground if we jumped up, but i guess that is what makes it inhabitable.

2. Well, that's because it isn't that strong a force. A simple fridge magnet can pick a paper clip off the ground with a whole planet trying to prevent it.

3. I am watching a TED conference from 2006 and this is exactly what one of their physicists was saying.

4. However... According to M theory, gravity could be a much stronger force but with it's field being spread over multiple dimensions.

5. I always wondered if gravity is calculated wrong. Our calculation of.gravity is based on observations of the earth. Then we use the derived constant to determine the mass of stellar objects.

If you ask why we dont go flying off the earth, the answer is gravity. But was the centrifugal force of surface objects on the earth calculated when they dtermined the gravity constant?

6. #6 HookedonPhonics, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2012
    It's actually based on mass (also temperature and pressure, as these both create energy), and the calculations are made not from mere observations on earth, but from planetary orbits of the sun, the satellites of other worlds, asteroids and comets etc. These have also been proven when calculating the entry speed when approaching mars, venus and even the moon.

Escape velocity is also calculated via a objects mass, and thus the mathematics for black holes was born. Which we believe to of observed throughout the galaxy.

7. Gravity is a force, from my understanding, that we truly don't know how to relate to the rest yet. Physics isn't my typical study material, so don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure. But yeah, it is a fairly weak force as opposed to others, particularly magnetism and of course nucular force which is a beast. Also OP, a little off topic but is that your grinder in your sig? I have one just like it except mine is black instead of red and has little windows to look into the keif compartment (bottom section).

8. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkq3IIxUEjQ]Love and Gravity - YouTube[/ame]

interesting concepts to add in.

very correct about gravity spread amongst more dimensions..