Gravity/Monsanto Heads Up Sticky

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Chunk, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Okay, you go arrest Donald Rumsfield then. ;)

What we need is a prosecutor willing to go after all the conflict of interest issues going on.

2. bump. like to share an exerpt from a recent article in Rodale's Organic Gardening:

special report: poison in your compost?

Imprelis Imperils? Pesticide residues in compost are damaging to plants.
    Currently only those with a pesticide applicators liscense can apply aminocyclopyrachlor. that in cludes the new product imprelis a broadleaf postemeregent herbicide used on turfgrass (including professionally maintained home lawns). An Imprelis label states: " don not use grass clippings from treated areas for mulching or compost, or allow for collection to compost facilities. grass clippings must either be left on the teated area, or, iif allowed by local yard waste regulations, disposed of in the rras. applicators must give verbal or written notice to property owners/property managers/residents not to use grass clippings from treated turf for mulch or compost."

3. ... 'the warning is on page 7 of a 9 page label, aand unfortunately not everyone reads or follows the label. We are requesting that the EPA initiate a special review of the registration due to the likelihood of residual herbicide levels in compost damaging nontarget plants"

This past summer additional problems were discovered as tree damage and death -- mostly to shallow rooted trees such as spruces and white pines-- linked to imprelis use were reported in more than 11 states from the midwest to the east coast.

still, dupont and the scotts miracle gro company are collaborating to develop and market to homeowners a new combination lawn fertilizer/herbicide containing aminocyclopyrachlor. additional testing is being conductes, "so that we can provide the clearest guidance possible to consumers regarding the composting of grass clippings," says lance Latham spokesman for scotts.

meanwhile a class action suit was lodged by a Pennsylvania homeowner and an indiana gold course claiming damages for poisoned plants. Then in early August, as we went to press, Dupont sent a voluntary recall for Imprelis to turf managers and produt distributors, stating "...dupont is implementing a voluntary suspension of sale of Imprelis herbicide. In addition we will soon be conducting a product return and refund program... we sincerely regret any tree injuries that Imprelis may have caused, and will work with you and all of our customers to promptly and farily resolve problems associated with our product."

nonetheless state agriculture agencies remained concerned that both grass clippings and dead trees contaminated with imprelis wil enter the compost stream despite the product being taken off the shelf.

there was no word on whether dupont planned to pull orhter products containing the active ingredient amincyclopyrachlor- Perspective, Plainview, Streamline, and Viewpoint- from the market.

"the industry's rush to put produts on the market before they are thoroughly tested has often resulted in unanticipated disaster" states Eric Vinje, founder of the gardening supply company Planet Natural.

"as with similar produts, there are no 'safe application' standards; no way to keep these produxts from moving beyond their point of application." Other than not using them in the first place. - dan sullivan

4. [quote name='"hope2toke"']apologies for the spelling errors my girl friend has been yelling at me all day (and now). I'll get back later.[/quote]

No worries I still appreciate the info and for the record I used to have the same problem but I've lost a lot of "weight" since I started the get the fuck out diet ha ha

5. #85 hope2toke, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2011
    it's my first organic magazine so I'll post some of my thoughts about it:

My deep (and unbased) skepticism was dissuaded temporarily while I appreciated the special report title, and cover title: "blazing beauty -- the best japanese maples for fall color" (i just like the word blazing actually) and articles about using leaf mold, winterizing techniques,cider making, and mandala gardening, and I like that the magazine promotes and gives insight into some of Rodale's upcoming publications.

edit 2: one publication for 2012. I found it online and wonder if it'll mention hemp (sarcasm).

edit: I won't start over bevcause of the sp? but you know. I am not going to let this spoil my place on the learning curve for organics (im slow). I just couldn't put the magazine down without commenting about a few things. the ad's in the magazine. First off is a page full Aveda ad, reminding me that most the people reading magazines are women, some of which will actually imagine that Aveda is organic. but the real question I have about the face model is: Hot or not?

the next full page ad is for Nature's path organic, reading "Always leave the Earth better than you found it" Rupert Stephens and a picture of some of their products, the line of hemp products conspicuously missing from the picture as the boxes only take up about half the space. still I wish they would just display all their products and provide more nutritional information there.

Then towards the end of the zine, an ad for Rodaleinstitute.org/tree_as_a_crop reading "Through the tree as a crop program the appalachian trail conservancy in parnership with rodale inc. and newpage corporationm is working to replace scrub trees with healthy new seedlings that can one bay be harvested sustainably. in 2011m tree as a crop partners cleared 10 acres in massachusetts and replanted 1300 seedlings at the atc's kellog conservation center."

Now I'm not going to go to the website and give more details but I think that the air of futility in planting a forest just to cut it down after 80 years of patience, is disturbingly absent from these people's approach. I know they must realize it's futile to attempt meeting the growing global lumber and paper demands by planting a thousand trees, But honestly- they're just 'feeding the machine.' re-foresting america permanently should be a national priority. And IMO their efforts would be better spent lobbying for this change than planting more trees to wipe our asses with (or throw at cars/homes/trees).

6. try again dude. ;)

7. they better not be messing with Cannabis genetics, next thing we know we all have fucked up illness from GMO herb

good greif

8. One of the first rides at Disneyland was one from Monsanto. Their tag-line to the exhibit was "Better living through modern chemistry"

Promoting that concept at Disneyland seems appropriate somehow.......

9. They already are ^^^

10. #90 WeeDroid, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2011
    Indeed. Anyone who wants to know more could check out why some of us didn't like Prop 19 in California recently.

Prop 19 Questions: George Soros supports Prop 19

Information like the above is one of many reasons why I am so passionate about organics and spreading the word, especially in regards to the soil food web.

11. Here's a link for y'all to ponder. It deals with GMO Cannabis.........If any of you have seeds stashed, especially those from yesteryear, I advise breeding for seed before all the cannabis seeds on the planet become adulterated. It may sound farfetched, but IMO, preservation of cannabis is vital.

Those with heirloom seeds (both cannabis and seeds for food) will ultimately end up with vast wealth. If the GMO thing is allowed to continue, by the end of this century we could potentially have a global famine.

After you read the article in the link, let us know how you feel about it.

peace,

chunk

12. Way ahead of you my friend.....

I didnt click the link, But I suspect Its a link Ive already read, since ive spent many many hours reading on the subject of Monsanto, and cannabis..

I think you may just be right....

I stock pile seeds of all kinds.

Dam Monsanto !

13. Russy,

With all of the seed companies popping up it's entirely possible that it's already happening. Those with the old school genetics that have been sitting around for 30 years have a head start IMO.

I was able to germinate several 20+ y.o. seeds so I think it is possible to get some to pop after a couple generations. It takes some finessing but can be done.

cheers,

chunk

14. There are some amazing cannabis heirloom seed companies out there. The Real Seed Company is a fine example. UGORG is another one.

15. [quote name='"WeeDroid"']There are some amazing cannabis heirloom seed companies out there. The Real Seed Company is a fine example. UGORG is another one.[/quote]

Wow! The real seed company looks awesome! I wish they shipped to the U.S! I need to find a cool pen pal overseas...

16. They are awesome. ;)

I should mention that UGORG doesn't have heirloom seed stock but high end sat dom hybrids bred from heirloom seed stock for many years by their master breeder.

17. Damn that sounds awesome! Do these guys really not ship to the U.S.? Or is that just something they have to say on the site? Wish I had a friend across the pond right about now.

18. I just watched wendell berry on youtube. somebody needs to put that guy in charge. He's brilliant, and speaks with a flat affect, deconstructing our government's imposed food economy and disenfranchisement of the people from the land.

"but you can't destroy the local economies and cultures of people, without destroying - at the same time- the local landscape. What we Kentuckians for the Commonwealth are talking about, inescapably - all the time,- is the terrifying disease of land destruction, or in fact, world destruction."

This phrase really caught my attention and then he gives a descriptive list of the symptoms of the disease and it's range of impacts that will cause worldly death. Berry flatly states that the current governments behavior is treating the people as a mere resource that is utilized and disposed of like a commodity. The governments behavior will result in such pollution and erosion that "contrary to it's nature" the land it will be no more renewable than petroleum.

even though his tone is rather neutral (and severe) I can tell he particularly despises lumber practices. Maybe I'd know this if i actually read the grapes of wrath in high school, but Dr. Berry has to be a re-legalization advocate. How else will it go down?

19. This should come as no surprise to anyone. This has been going on forever and is endemic in it's hegemonic scope.

20. Monsanto has announcements all over their website that it will "double yields by 2030"

I don't want to know what kind of sick demented GMO's they intend will yield that way..