Gravity fed drip system 5 gallon bucket?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by smguffer, May 2, 2019.

1. I'm a a KISS kinda guy. I want to be able to hang a 5 gal bucket above plants and have a drip system that I can regulate the flow to like .75gal a day -1 gal a day.. so the 5 gal reservoir lasts 5-6 days of feeding.

wondering if this is feasible. anyone have any experience with it? recommend a drip system?

if feasible can I throw an air stone in the 5 gal res? should I? how will it affect PH fluctuations over a 5-6 day period with or without the airstone?

2. Gravity fed is nice but you want to give the roots time to air out between feedings. So a constant drip isnt exactly what you’re after.

The other downside to gravity fed is the chance of a siphon effect that can ultimately lead to flooding if not done correctly. I raised my tent above my reservoir to prevent the siphon effect because I grow on a second floor and a flood is absolutely not an option.

I have 2 plants that go through 10-15 gallons a week with my drip system, but it works excellent and I don’t have to touch it for days since I recently dialed it in.

This is my first coco grow and I’m finally figuring out all the hiccups after growing in primary soil and my system is by no means the best, but it works great for what I need it to do. I’ll take a few pics when I get home of what I use and how I do it.

Also, always run an air stone.

Good luck

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. How is your drip system working if your Reservoir is below your plants?

4. How does your drip system work if your Reservoir is below your plants? Basically what you are doing the sounds exactly like what I want to do. I want to eliminate the need to be down there every day to feed. I want to be able to go on vacation without worrying about it for a week or so if possible

5. I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some details on this. Or a tutorial or video that maybe you found helpful

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'll have a read. Thanks!

7. No problem .
    Sorry don't know why I thought you were in coco but the watering system will work I'm happy with mine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. i am in coco. i posted this thread kinda twice. once in the beginners section, then in this section because i am using coco

9. So I primarily use a couple submersible pumps. One at 185 gph (eco 185) and a 400gph I got at the hydro store. Amazon has a pretty good deal on a drip system that has seemed to work great for me.
    Here’s a screenshot as the links sometimes don’t work. [​IMG]

This kit came with enough drippers for me to run 2 systems depending on what stage of growth I’m in. For veg Into early flower, I use the eco 185 to feed 3-4 drippers per plant. towards the end of flower when they need more water, I’ll switch the pump over to the 400gph and feed 7 drippers per plant. Whatever pump I’m not using, I put in my reservoir and agitate the water every few hours which keeps things nice and mixed.

How I run everything is actually very simple...

Amazon has these “smart outlets” that allow you to program different scenarios into an app that I can control from literally anywhere that has internet or cell service. I set up my lights, my reservoir pump for feeding, and my agitator pump for stirring all rolled into an app on my phone.

This is nice because I can just add time or take away time anywhere. And since my wife works from home I can ask her what the runoff is doing and adjust accordingly from 45 minutes away at work. It’s also nice because the schedule is always right. Power failures and dead battery’s don’t effect the schedule on these outlets as they’re synchronized to the time on my phone. The outlets only program in one-minute intervals so the thin 1/4” tubing is nice for keeping things accurate. Usually 6-8 minutes is good for one feeding.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. #12 Jaboc33, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks a bunch man!

• Like Like x 1
  12. No problem. feel free to message me if you have any questions.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Smguffer,

I’ll be happy to share how I do mine with ya in a couple hours. You have a Home Depot nearby? I’ll link you to Big Blue’s thread where I assisted him to setup his. You’ll love having a active fed drip system. I would not risk your grow op with passive drip system. I was watering my girl 4x’s/day in flower and made this :)
    275851BB-4D87-4F5C-9A06-62A5E804B8E0.jpeg 41E430B7-E4AA-4F2E-A97F-8F3F2F565B38.jpeg
    I can help show you how :)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Hi again Smguffer,

Ok, here’s a link that’ll take you to Big Blue’s thread where I assisted him to put together a great drip system and you will not have to worry about any siphoning issue, having to raise your tent, etc. There’s some great info in his thread too.

So, the post #290 is where I really began to dig in and help him out hope the link below will take you there ok. Otherwise just search out Big Blue’s Quantum Realm...his Lights are soooo BA!! Go to page 15 post #290. I also included photos of my Home Depot receipts so you can easy find the parts you need.

.BIG BLUES QUANTUM REALM. perpetual growop.

I don’t know much about your build like how many plants, pot size, stage of growth, etc. that said, be aware there’s really important things you should be doing for your grow to ensure the best growing conditions.

Jacob has shared with you Dr MJ Coco’s website CocoForCannabis...this is the best info you’ll find on Coco imo. I used CFC site too to educate the gaps in my own knowledge and I grew an amazing Girl Scout Cookie by Nirvana Seeds. I will never grow another way after growing this way! It’s so convenient!!

Here’s a few more pics to show you what you can obtain with a dialed in active auto-fertigation system. (See below).

My GSC was in a 5 gallon fabric pot with 70/30 coco/perlite. I used GH line Nutes, a 20 gallon brute trash can for reservoir, and was good for 7 days between batching nutes with 10 gallons at a time. NOTE: you’ll want to dose 35% H2O2, 2.5 mls/gal every two days at least 6 hrs before a fertigation.

I want to point out that a passive drip system may be problematic for you to follow the run off electrical conductivity (EC) closely and accurately enough to keep your target EC within 300 microSiemens (uS) of your target. If you’re unfamiliar with any of this then please see Dr MJ Coco’s site and find his table of contents and in an afternoon or so you’ll know what you need to do! :)

Best of luck to you friend. Please ask us any questions you may have and I hope you grow a beast too!

I veg’d that Girl Scout Cookie for 54 days, flowered her 70 days, flushed her 5 days, and she’s currently been hanging to dry for 7 days now :) just waiting to get her curing here soon! :)

948835EA-4A9F-487E-9B60-F7E850C37FB1.jpeg CEFE9772-BEE9-4F52-9E46-0BAD397E0B0A.jpeg CCD7AEFC-804F-49FD-A26E-82FDCBF4B30C.jpeg CAEDE5A0-20D1-4BB0-A1A3-84DE7860C622.jpeg FD0ABD3E-D14B-44F8-9506-79D2B6C35F54.jpeg E9457920-6F72-4D1B-9708-A057F223DD01.jpeg BE3080BE-F2CF-4CE3-8BBB-2241B0CF534F.jpeg 488BE9FE-BA0F-40B4-8F44-50BD818FE514.jpeg 6D869EFD-585E-495D-B060-BFC09A9FA338.jpeg 2108DAE8-7966-40EE-82EE-8DB0EB2C880E.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Love seeing different pictures of that plant see looks good hanging upside down . Killed it.
    Which gh line you in ? I used flora (Lucas formula) loved it. Switched over to Cannas full line for this grow it's way way more expensive than gh I'm having great results but the cost......idk
    Have you tried the maxibloom dry 2.2 pounds for $14 and I've heard good things about it. Probably give it a try next

• Like Like x 2
  16. Great information to share Joshua! Thank you :) No I haven’t tried any of those, but I am curious as well. I will try and post back my weight when I jar this bad girl :) my goal this grow was 10 ounces cause Leafly said that was what a experienced grower could top out on Girl Scout Cookie lmao. Challenge accepted, lol.

So, I happened to begin my cultivating and learning oh GH’s line and I haven’t tried any others, but I did add to my GH line after discovering Dr MJ Coco’s work.

Currently I’m using:
    Armor Si
    Cali-Mag
    GH Flora-Series
    Koolbloom
    Diamond Nectar, and my favorite is Photosynthesis Plu-Q...dude! This stuff is amazing! It optimizes root health, and holy heck you can see it helped my lady blow up lol. My growth was explosive a week and half later. My seed bracts were so full and plump. If I was hand watering I might try a powder fertilizer, but for now I’m gonna stick to liquid.

That Plus-Q is the raunchiest smell though haha! I love it though. I use 1.5mils in 32 ounces of water. I would hand water this in to flush my coco once a day to keep my EC within 300 my target. My EC got as high as 1850 sometimes!! Lol. Man she just kept taking it. I did notice a lil tip burn at that level though so I kept it under 1700 best I could.

Haha Joshua, look at it now! Been drying for 7 days now haha is so shrunken down now, gonna be a great yield though I think :)
    AEDF328B-8ABE-492B-B5B7-A89CC01368F6.jpeg
    So big!! Lol take care man :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. awesome pics! thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thank you and you’re welcome :)