Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Gravity Bong, shouldnt the smoke go stale?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Cherrygarcia, Jun 3, 2012.

1. just about all of us I'm sure have hit a bong at some point. For those of you who dont know what Stale Smoke is (I'm suprised how many people dont understand the concept), if you take too big of a hit, and there is still some smoke left in the chamber, it becomes stale. NASTY tasting, and it doesn't get you high. this is the ONLY forum where I have found people who know what I'm talking about when I say stale smoke lol.

I've been fooling around with Gravity Bongs as I am currently on a crazy tight budget, dont have the money for a good vape and from what I hear Gravity Bongs are the best way to get to mars on very little bud.

If it takes about 7-10 seconds to milk the thing and then say another second to take the bowl away to inhale, Why doesn't the smoke go stale by that point? In about that same time frame I've taken that second hit from the regular bong to get that last bit of goodness and its already stale, whats different about the GB?

Just how long does smoke take to go stale, and WHAT EXACTLY CAUSES IT. is it a chemical reaction with the air? is it just because its had a chance to cool down and the THC precipitates out of the smoke? When you're not looking does Jerry Garcia's Ghost come to claim the THC left behind? :smoke:

the more we know, the better.

2. I don't wanna talk out of my ass but I think stale smoke has something to do with it oxidizing, and that stale smoke still has the thc so you'll still get high but will jus taste like ass.

And don't worry about the smoke going stale and not getting high from a gravity bong, trust me lol.

3. I've wondered this before. I guess it has something to do with the fact that the smoke is constantly moving? Someone with more scientific knowledge may have the right answer, that's just what I think it could be.

4. somewhere DEEP in the bowels of this forum I stumbled across a great post regarding this, I searched and searched to find it again but I couldnt. The guy went chem freak talking about oxidation rates of various cannaboids and such, and cited sources as well. As of current, that is the theory i'm going with mainly because of how sciencey AND cited it was, as well as my limited knowledge of oxidation.
    Every single other theory I have come across has to do with the smoke cooling and the THC precipitating out.

As a guy who normally gets off on about .5-.7 on a regular pipe, i'm taking a week tolerance break. friday i'ma break in my new grav with a whole gram plus enough cannabutter to rock 2 people. Even gonna toss in 2 overripe mangos, fish oil a pack of newports and a tallboy for shits and giggles. I dont think I'll be too worried about a little bit of stale smoke :D:smoke:;):devious:

But please if anybody has any info on what causes stale smoke, or breakdown of the cannaboids in smoke that would be great. I'm sure there are simple things that many of us could be doing that might make a big difference. Who knows, maybe this whole THC Oxidation thing could lead some insight into the whole How Long to Hold a hit for argument as well, seeing as the smoke is mixed with oxygen in your lungs

5. Less chance of smoke going stale in grav bong because there is no oxygen getting to the smoke? Which is in the bottle.