graveyard shift job giving me depression?

Discussion in 'General' started by ADStoker420, Feb 24, 2012.

1. I've been working graveyard shifts for the past 6 months as my permanent schedule so I don't switch off with any other shift

Strictly graveyard 5 days a week

Now when I first started i was fine and was just getting used tto it

Now that I am accustomed
    I've Been getting depressed a lot more often

And usually for little reason's I'd never get bothered by
    And my life is good too
    Nothing to complain about really

I have another job opportunity
    But doesn't pay as much as this place but its a very slight difference

Should I leave this job to work better hours or is this something that usually happens and just let it be and wait

I'm just having a hard time thinking
    And would like tto hear your guys input

2. You need to do what you think is right. But in my opinion, fuck a graveyard shift. If the pay is only a slight difference from your new opportunity, I would definitely take the new job. Depression is no fun.

3. I'd say because your body isn't used to your new sleep hours, and hours you're working as they practically flipped if that's the case then try getting more sleep.

Edit: Saw you said you can get another job... definitely take it. Get your sleep back on track and you'll be better in no time.

4. Yeah man it is deff. the job!
    You should totally try for that new job and see if you get it because your happiness is probably more important to you then the slight pay increase.

My sister is in the same situation and its sad to see her hate every part of her day just because she knows she has a horrible job. Good LUCK! :)

5. Does this graveyard shift job allow you to toke? If not I'd take the day shift job.

6. Start smoking on the job if you can, then it won't be so boring!

7. Graveyard shifts are balls. I was doing 10.5 hour shifts EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. for 8 months in Afghanistan. I think I did get somewhat depressed from it; lost interest in things I loved to do, i.e. play guitar, play Minecraft, go run/work out. My eating habits went to shit, because when I'm stressed I turn to food as a coping mechanism, and since we got a shitload of care packages full of junk food and candy (if you ever send care packages, put healthy ((or healthier)) food in them) it was hard to resist grabbing a fun-size Snickers bar every now and then. As a result, I gained 15lbs.

Some people I worked with had good workout routines in place before getting put on night shift. I, unfortunately, had to deal with not only adjusting to sleeping all day, but also learning a brand new job, which is much more difficult when you're in a combat zone and have to track the battlefield (convoys, patrols, missions in your area, missions in neighboring areas, big operations, enemy tactics/movement, etc etc). Now, since I've gotten off graveyard shift (5 days now), I'm eating better/snacking less, my mood is better (except when I don't take my anti-malaria pill; two days without it and I get all pissy and moody), and I'm generally happier. Except I'm still in Afghanistan, so there's that.

tl;dr - Yes, probably depression. If you NEED the money, stick with it. If you can take the hit to your wallet, you're better off with a regular work schedule.

8. I'm on nights too, one of the issues i ran into after a couple months is i noticed i was tired alot too, but getting 6-8 is fine, eating was my issue make sure u eat good food and if ur not in the sun often since u work nights take some centrums or some shit it's a multivitamin, helps alot

9. it really depends what your job is

my cousin works night shifts as tech service and all he does is watch movies and read books

he doesnt smoke but his coworker does lol

10. Thanks everyone

Ill def be taking your guys advice

Much love :D

11. [quote name='"skudzzz"']Graveyard shifts are balls. I was doing 10.5 hour shifts EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. for 8 months in Afghanistan. I think I did get somewhat depressed from it; lost interest in things I loved to do, i.e. play guitar, play Minecraft, go run/work out. My eating habits went to shit, because when I'm stressed I turn to food as a coping mechanism, and since we got a shitload of care packages full of junk food and candy (if you ever send care packages, put healthy ((or healthier)) food in them) it was hard to resist grabbing a fun-size Snickers bar every now and then. As a result, I gained 15lbs.

Some people I worked with had good workout routines in place before getting put on night shift. I, unfortunately, had to deal with not only adjusting to sleeping all day, but also learning a brand new job, which is much more difficult when you're in a combat zone and have to track the battlefield (convoys, patrols, missions in your area, missions in neighboring areas, big operations, enemy tactics/movement, etc etc). Now, since I've gotten off graveyard shift (5 days now), I'm eating better/snacking less, my mood is better (except when I don't take my anti-malaria pill; two days without it and I get all pissy and moody), and I'm generally happier. Except I'm still in Afghanistan, so there's that.

tl;dr - Yes, probably depression. If you NEED the money, stick with it. If you can take the hit to your wallet, you're better off with a regular work schedule.[/quote]

Holy balls man

Props dude
    That seems intense

12. You are more than likely are deficient in Vitamin D

Your body makes Vitamin D naturally from sunlight. But most people are indoors for to long and can't make enough of it.

I'd recommend getting yourself 5,000 IU of Vitamin D a day, its only 12 bucks for like 240 pills of it.

It can help with your mood.

13. I would kill for a nice lonely graveyard job

14. meth

jk bro. i worked overnights part time and it wasnt too bad. then again it was only part time