Grateful Dead

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Hit That Shit, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I listened to the show......

They are great sounds, it is very easy to tell that they mellowed out and slowed down during the 70\'s, as evident from the song New Minglewood blues. The album version is VERY faster than the 76 version.

I can dig it though, smooth mellow jamming, great music. Especialy if i was to see it live....

IF ONLY.

2. Not trying to take anything away from you, Chrysamere, but the audio quality of that show sucks! Here\'s a better version of the same show, you can\'t download it, but it doesn\'t sound all muffled and muddy.

ColorGrenade, that\'s so crazy that you posted that particular show, it\'s one I have bookmarked so I can listen to it whenever. That version of \"I Know You Rider\" is so different from the way they played it later on, it\'s how I play it whenever I take out my guitar.

As long as we\'re recommending shows to check out, take a listen to the Grateful Dead live at William and Mary College, September 11, 1973 (Mickey Hart\'s birthday, even though he was out of the band at this point). A lot of my favorite tunes are in this show: Sugaree, The Race Is On, China>Rider, Big River, Beat It On Down The Line, Morning Dew and Sugar Magnolia...

3. Excellent recommendations boys! Chrysamere: that show at Cornell is incredible and one of my favs, that run at the end is particularly mind blowing.

While we\'re at it, you guys should check out this one:

Grateful Dead Live at Swing Auditorium on February 26, 1977

This show saw the DEBUT of both Terrapin Station and Estimated Prophet, two of the most cherished Dead songs in history. Also, the quality of the recording is top notch which just adds to the incredible energy surrounding this show. One of my favorite Dead shows and very highly recommended.

4. This is a little off topic but.......I got this really cool bong about 2.5 feet tall, frosted blue glass about 1/4 in thick, and Greatfull Dead Bears on it. Its a Greatful Dead / Deadhead Bong

5. On the original, tho very old, topic....

Truckin, pretty much any version. I cant think of the part, but the whole song rhymes to some extent, except one part, an when your in an \"altered\" state of mind, it\'s just like HOLT SHIT THEY DID THAT TO FUCK WITH ME.

And playin in the band, scarlet begonias, and fire on the mountain, pretty much any versions.

6. I love the Dead.... it\'s hard to pick out favorite songs or shows though because there are so many to choose from and so many great ones. I admit they\'re kind of a hard band to get into at first just because they\'re unlike anything else. No other band relies so heavily on their live performances and improvisational skills. Other bands have cult followings, but none are as lasting and enthusiastic as the Dead\'s. And those of you saying they aren\'t very technically advanced are wrong... I\'ve been a musician for about 8 years and I can honestly say they have a certain unique musical ability that no one else does. There are few other bands who\'s songs I can listen to for over ten minutes and still remain not only interested, but completely immersed. Their jams are simply mesmerizing, I only wish I was old enough to experience them in person. Fortunatel, Phil Lesh and Bob Weir are still around and jamming so I can at least enjoy the next best thing, but the Dead\'s legacy of live recordings will always live on.

7. Archive.org is officially my favorite website. :D

I can\'t believe my dog ate my headphones.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.