Grateful Dead

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Hit That Shit, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is gona be hard to explain but I think the main thing i like about Grateful Dead is to listen for their influences in a jam.To try to guess where there going with it. I dont know how to put it, but like archetypal (if thats a real word) things just coming and going in and out of jams.
    I read a sociology textbook on deadhead social science and it was pretty funny. To me, it was just a phenomenon. It related spinning hippes to whiirling dirvishes(sp?) and tons of way out shit like that.

2. Oh, I totally agree, Floyd and Zeppelin are VERY overrated. Everyone hails Zeppelin to be the greatest band in the world, something that is far from true.

My point is that musically, if I had to pick on music from this era, these bands were better than Grateful Dead. Floyd were masters of composing so many unique things. Zeppelin, in more recent times, has also found much more unique sounds.

I respect the Dead for having fun jamming, but thats just what it is. Jam bands will never progress to the level that bands that compose do. They can do some chill stuff, but the truth is, that its only exciting if you\'re the one playing the jam.

But like you said, to each his own.

3. Sorry to break the news to you, but Led Zeppelin has been broken up since 1980.

You don\'t think the Dead wrote and arranged songs? Because that\'s what composition is. You think that they just stepped onto a stage and said, \'Hey, let\'s jam in B for six hours\'? The way you describe their music really makes me think you\'ve never even heard anything of theirs.

4. Dick\'s Picks, Vol. 20: Landover, Maryland

5. By recent I meant their latter days, and the point in time (I think it was in the 90\'s) that Page and Plant did some pretty sweet stuff.

I\'m sure they arranged alot of the stuff, but from what most every fan I\'ve talked to says, I\'m under the impression that they jammed alot of it too. I still don\'t understand the huge following, maybe I never will- not when there are so many more bands that have accomplished so much more (musically). Oh well.

6. I don\'t know how you can \"accomplish so much more musically\" than by creating an entire genre, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

7. check mate knox. they composted alot of songs and the jams are just slightly different versions of each song. Theres 2 different chinacatsunflowers i like equally but i almost look at them as 2 different songs, each jam brings on a new mood or style of that song. listening to a europe 72 truckin is alot different that a studio recorded version or even a deer creek 95 version(dont know if they actully played truckin at the creek in 95 but wish i was there). Just saying that there a jam band is a bit narrow minded. jerry alone had 15 + bands. He did old and in the way which was bluegrass and grateful dawg with Grisman another bluegrass form. Hell with grisman alone jerry and him did sea shanties, not for kids only, grateful dawg, played arabian style music. Jerry played almost everything. But hey man just puttin in my two cents not arguing with anyone. No room for arguements on a dead thread. pace

8. All of American Beauty
    12-29-1977 @ Winterland Arena
    Aoxomoxoa
    Dick\'s Picks 3, 7, 24, and 30

9. Not too big on hippies.

10. Then why even waste your time telling us? -rep

11. Because it\'s my fuckin opinion and I can express it whether it\'s positive or negative. Who says we can\'t enjoy discussing things we dislike? No logic there. -rep to you fuckface.

[COLOR=\"Red\"]Fuckface? Name-calling and disrespect aren\'t welcome here. You clearly should have read the rules. This is your only warning. *RMJL[/COLOR]

12. Go start an I hate hippies thread then. Your little comment was completely out of place and had absolutely nothing to contribute to the conversation other than to belittle the following of the Grateful Dead. Youve been reported.

13. I don\'t believe I said \'I hate hippies\'. I said I\'m not big on hippies, and the Grateful Dead is, by definition, a hippie band. I dislike the Grateful Dead, it\'s a thread called \"Grateful Dead\", so I expressed my opinion in a 5 word sentence. If everyone is gonna get their panties in a wad over a 5 word sentence, maybe that says something about you. Maybe you should open that mind of yours and realize that people are not going to have the same tastes as you, and you should accept the fact that those people will be around when you talk about such things.

14. Even if your first post wasn\'t in bad taste, your second post sure was. It wasn\'t a mature way to handle that at all, c\'mon guys calm down this is a pot forum for Christ\'s sake! Also, throwing out -rep like that for no reason isn\'t cool guys, both of you.

Just gunna say truckin\' and Casey Jones are my two favorite songs by the Grateful Dead :)

15. I agree... The Dead is good music - don\'t get me wrong. I can definitely listen to some good jam bands, and I give the Dead mad props for what they started... But to me, they are a bit over-rated.... For the reasons pointed out in the above quote...

Dude... I agree with you 100%. I can\'t stand Zepplin because of that dude\'s voice. Whiney little bitch he is - just like most of today\'s \"emo\" singers... *Shudder* Whiney people suck...

Yeah man... -Rep isn\'t to be thrown out because someone says something like \"Not too big on hippies\". -Rep is for a post that actually deserves it... For example: \"You\'re a fuck face\"... That\'s neg rep worthy... See the difference? :D

16. You dont know who the grateful dead is unless you have heard their jams from 66-about 69.....

The best psychadelic jamming there has ever been.

17. Nah man. Their best years were 76-77, In their prime.

18. Have you heard the 66 jams???

Go to archive.org.

They have thousands of live dead shows.

I have never heard jerry and everyone jam as hard and as cleanly as they do in 66-69

19. Archive is the best haha I love it, but as far as the jamming goes, to each his own I guess. 66-69 was great don\'t get me wrong but they were terrible at Monterey and Woodstock, from my point of view the dead only got better with experience come late 70\'s, but I definitely see your point because what I love about the early years was how pure Jerry sounded altogether. Just love it all really.

20. i tell you what......

How about you give me a set from one of their 76 shows to listen to, and i will give you one from 66.......

How does that sound?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.