Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by thehealingherb, May 10, 2008.

1. I cant think of a better band than The Grateful Dead. They gave us so much, so i figure, lets make a thread showing our appreciation for GD. Post anything here, favorite songs, favorite concerts, concert experiences... anything !

BTW listening to Live at the Warfield 40-04-1980, great long setlist.

2. My mom left me with my grandma as a kid to follow around Grateful Dead, so I'm sure they are pretty good. Casey Jones is really the only song that I've heard by then, so my opinion doesn't count.

3. <--- an appreciator!

140+ shows since 1986

peace

4. TGD is one of the most overated bands in my time..they fucking suck. People only went to their concerts because there were huge ass fuckin parties in the parking lot, they would have more people partying in the parking lot then even at the show.

5. they would have upwards of 100,000 people at an outdoor stadium show and nowhere near 100,000 people out in the lots during the show.
    and how are they overrated, when no one really gave them any credit as a band anyway?

6. did you read the thread title, its an appreciation thread... if you have nothing good to say then please leave.

7. hell yeah man, i like your avatar:)

8. grateful dead! i was hoping i could find an appreciation thread.

i'm too young to have seen the dead live but i have been to phil & friends, ratdog, and DSO a bunch of times and i can't see the music going away any time soon.

the shows are amazing...going through a concert is like being taken on a journey through life, death, and everything in between. for me, morning dew can be one of the most spiritual experiences i've had yet. it's like all our loved ones are coming through the music, and i'd swear jerry is in the wind blowin' through the crowd.

i'll go to as many shows and meet as many people as i possibly can. it's like a different kind of family. completely amazing. magic!

:D

9. I saw Phil Lesh and friends at 10K this year, it was so fucking awesome, wish i could have seen all of them together but lesh was there with hart and weir

10. I love the songs Box of Rain, Playing in the Band and Fire on the Mountain.

And I dont think GD are overrated at all, I think theirs real magic in their music - for me anyway - and I'm not even a proper fan :)

11. The Grateful Dead are not just a band, they are pioneers of a culture. They are by far the greatest musical experience to occur on this planet. i dont even know where to start expressing my love. For a buncha druggies they were sure ahead of their times man, THE WALL OF SOUND, remind u the dead were the first to use stereo sound in their concert. The wall of sound is so epic, it just shows how committed the dead were for the ultimate sound experience. I cant think of a single dead song i dislike, just some i like way more or less than others, but honestly theres no song i cant jam on.

idk some of my favorite combos are
    chinacat> i know u rider
    me and my uncle> big river
    Scarlet begoinas>fire on the mountain
    estimated prophet >eyes of the world
    missisippi half step > me and my uncle

someone try to convince me electro kool aid acid tests are not the greatest idea ever...

HAHA U CANT

12. i feel so wrong after picking some favorites because like whenever people have asked me my favorite dead song, i just see all the titles spinning around in my head and cant choose.

some of the first dead songs i fell in love with were morning dew and fire on the mountain, from there i went on to casey jones and trucking (altho im not as big fan of those songs anymore) then i got into china cat sunflower and i know u ryder. than back tto some old school shit like new new minglewood blues and good lovin, the good ass pigpen shit.

yea im too young to have seen "the grateful dead" but have seen bob weir, phil lesh, DSo

13. ^have you checked out archive.org? there is a ton of awesome live grateful dead:hello:

14. #14 Eugene Pooneil, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
    Got into 'em way too late to see any shows, but i did see Planet Drum (Mickey Heart) a few years ago and it blew my fucking mind.

favorite shows:
    68-2/14
    69-4/26,27
    69-8/16 (Jerry's acid rambalings are what really does it for me, as well as the kickass Lovelight. Thats right, a 3rd coast!)
    70-7/16 (Pigpen/Joplin duet on Lovelight - kills it!)
    71-4/17 (Classic Pigpen rap on Good Lovin')
    pretty much any show from Europe '72
    74-10/16-20 (including Mickey Heart's triamphent return on the last set of the last show before the 3 year hiatus)
    78-1/22
    78-12/31

favorite song would be from 3/2/69 - Alligator > We bid you Goodnight Jam > Jam, into Caution. Bitchin'.

edit: anybody feel like the Dead's sound sorta died with Pigpen? I mean, they were still sick after, but he was such an integral part of the original feel - key solo's, raps. RIP Ron McKernan, the original MC.

15. The music will never stop.

I started listening to the Dead about a year before Jerry died. So I never got to see him in concert. I have seen Phil & friends and Ratdog.

I love most of everything they do, but some favs are:
    Scarlet Begonias, Promised Land, U.S. Blues

16. This is the thread I have been looking for. The Grateful Dead are the GREATEST band and musical influence to walk the Earth. I never got to see them with Jerry but I am blessed enough to have seen Bobby and Phil and Mickey more than 150 times throughout their different tours and I got to see them all get back together for Mardi Gras earlier this year.

I would have to say that some songs that stick in my mind (not necessarily favorites as I would call all of their songs my favorites) would be:
    St. Stephen, Franklin's Tower, China Cat Sunflower, Terrapin Station, NFA, Sugar Magnolia, Scarlet Begonias, Ripple... I'll end up listing their entire history if I keep going. I love finding new shows that I haven't heard yet and jamming along with the band on my harmonica.

What else can I say? I love The Grateful Dead.

Always Grateful.

17. Love the Dead.

The closest I ever got to a show was the parking lot of a show they played in Boston, in '93 (i think.. maybe '94). I wasn't able to get a ticket, but I did trip out on acid for the very first time that night.

18. anybody get tickets to the show at penn state?

maybe i should rephrase...anybody got an extra ticket to the show at penn state?:p
    i'll be in the parking lot hoping for a miracle.

ticketmaster pulled such a cruel joke..it let me get all the way to the checkout before telling me that tickets are SOLD OUT. AGHHH. gutted like a fish.

19. I like the dead but im not quite old enough seeing as they like split in 95' when jerry died ... and im 21 so that'd make me what like 8 ... so i just jam to the tunes.