GrassCity's user's View's on Gun Control

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by leoyen, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Where I live there was a drastic drop in crime when we became a shall issue state for CCWs. Open carry has always been allowed as well if you are at least 18. It's a good way to control the garbage that California has dumped in our city. People in Nevada outside of clark county view Vegas as east California instead of southern Nevada.

2. you should be able to buy guns if you undergo a thorough screening process.

but you should be responsible for keeping your gun out of other people's hands. like you will go to prison if you let your gun get stolen and that person commits a crime with your gun.

3. I'm for concealed carry... not openly. It puts you at a huge tactical disadvantage. Bad guy walks up behind you with a gun.. what do you do? You're fucked. He knows where your gun is and he already has one on you... you've lost any element of surprise that could have possibly turned the situation in your favor.

Not to mention, it could further escalate situations that need not be.

Also, you'd have to use a holster with very good retention.

4. Question to all who own guns. Did you take the class to rightfully own one, if so how was it and what was it like?

5. I think Chris Rock said it best when he said they should price the cost of bullets really high so that you know you really want something dead its gonna cost ya.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWjhTWv9eUs]Chris Rock: Bullet Control - YouTube[/ame]

6. I think everyone should have an detailed backround check but if the check out they should be able to have any guns they want besides automatic assualt rifles or SMGs.
    Why is everyone so pissed at the NRA they have a good idea. In my old highschool we had an armed police officer there and there really wasnt any problem with violence.

7. #27 Nash92, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2012
    I don't support open carry, I think it would do much more harm than good. But if everyone were to open carry, the gun should be UNLOADED. And everyone open carrying would be stopped and checked for validity purposes. That's the safe way to go about it. :smoke:

Cause let's be honest, everyone walking around with loaded guns would create much paranoia to the point of creating anarchy.

8. #28 Fëanor, Dec 23, 2012
    The world is a violent place. About 3/4 of violent crimes in America involve no weapon at all and only 8% involve a firearm.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=43
    It's not a matter of guns solving all our problems and making us magically safe. It's about enabling us to protect ourselves, instead of:

A) Your Plan A: Imagining that we live in magical land without violence
    or
    B) Your Plan B: Hoping the government will protect us

If Americans didn't have guns, we would still be British.

If you weren't being sarcastic, then statistically speaking would be absolutely right. The rate of gun crime compared to the number of guns in the United States is amazingly low. But you wouldn't know that, because the news doesn't report it every few weeks when I go to the shooting range to use my guns safely and responsibly.

And the UK has been called the "knife crime capital of the world" although I admit that statistically there are a couple places you're more likely to get stabbed.

Britain moves to curb rise in knife violence - Los Angeles Times
    Knife crime rises by ten per cent - Telegraph
    UK is knife crime capital | The Sunday Times

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin

By the way:

[​IMG]
    "A third of mass killings didn't involve guns at all. In 15 incidents, the victims died in a fire. In 20 others, the killer used a knife or a blunt object. When guns were involved, killers were far more likely to use handguns than any other type of weapon."
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/18/mass-killings-common/1778303/

9. What the fuck is the point of carrying an unloaded gun? That's worse than carrying no gun, because you still have a target painted on your back.

Why would everyone walking around with loaded guns create anarchy? It seems to me that it would reduce the likelihood that people would use their weapons, if they knew everybody else had one.

Like somebody on here said, in GTA only you (the criminal) and the cops have guns, so if you go on a shooting spree in GTA you can massacre dozens of people before the cops get there. In CoD, you can only get one or two people before you go down, because everybody else has guns too.

10. #30 ScriabinAnime, Dec 23, 2012
    I think guns and their manufacturing are an existence that should be forbidden. In a civilized world, this is an obvious truth. Gun manufacturing and guns themselves would be of utmost contraband, and should be annihilated. After all, Firearms are at BEST a means to defend with equivalent power against other humans who offend with firearms.

Of course in the clustered, mundane, and unrighteous world we currently live in, it is extremely difficult and unrealistic to go about that path.

Until the day comes where the world is ready to walk this path, guns should not be totally prohibited to citizens while remaining legal, otherwise it will mainly be criminals who wield guns.

I don't think guns should be TOTALLY accessible to all citizens, as Gary Johnson advocates for instance, mainly for one extremely simple reason:

With easier accessibility and legality for weaponry, comes MORE weaponry. In other words, there will simply be MORE guns floating around civilization. Guns are potentially something of lesser monetary value, similarly to computers, and are capable of being as common an accessory to a home as a television. With guns floating around everywhere, murder rates will skyrocket.

We must also not forget that whether good people equip guns or not, it is criminals who make the first strike: something that NOTHING can defend against under certain conditions.

11. Why would murder rates skyrocket with higher availability of guns? The data doesn't support that conclusion. Guns do not motivate people to kill, those motivations have existed long before guns.

Ridding the world of guns is simply impossible. When people talk about doing that they're equating guns with violence, and they think getting rid of guns will get rid of violence, which isn't the case. To do away with guns, you'd first have to do away with violence, and to do that you'd have to do away with the motivations for violence, which can't be done.

12. I wholeheartedly disagree. The average American citizen isn't John McClane - not everyone needs a gun. But whatever, if a kid using an AR-15 to slaughter 20 kindergarteners won't shake up America's gun control laws, nothing will.

/rant

13. Maybe if that woman who tried to hide some kids in the cabinets had had a gun she could have done more than just try to distract the guy. My point is guns will always exist and be available to those who are determined to get them, bad guys will always be armed, so since it's impossible to disarm the bad guys it's prudent to arm the good guys.

Gun control laws can't stop gun violence, look at Columbine, they bought the weapons illegally, and used them in a supposed "Gun Free Zone", aka "Helpless Victim Zone".

14. I get that. Hell, look at this website. Unless you have a MMJ card or live in Amsterdam or something, we know that there are end runs around every law. I'm not so delusional as to think that a ban on firearms (or for fuck's sake, at least automatic rifles) would make America's gun problems go away. But when there have been estimated to be around 300 million guns in this country, I think the solution is not "let's buy more guns."

15. I support open carry. Full time, everywhere you go, everyday; regardless.

16. I'm so glad I made this thread. So many people are viewing this and will learn the reality of gun control.Good job bladez.

Shoutout to BlazedGlory for continuously adding to this thread, along with Fëanor
    for bringing much needed sources and statistics. +rep to both of you.

17. Like many people, you seem to equate guns with violence, which is an understandable association, but the fact is the vast majority of violent crimes in the US don't involve a firearm, and of the ones that do, handguns are used more than any other type of firearm.

So banning assault rifles doesn't seem like a good strategy to reduce violent crime, so it might be prudent to look at other motives governments might have for pushing for an assault rifle ban. The media is also to blame, since they make it seem like people are mowing each other down with AR-15's every other day when that's simply not the case.

18. There should be some control you need to take a gun safety class and a test after there's no reason why you shouldn't have to beacuse you have a much better chance of shooting yourself or someone else by accident than on porpoise and if you're not willing to try and learn how to safely use a gun you probably aren't responsible to own one we need gun control to keep it from the irresponsible not the criminals also any parent with a child under 18 should have to keep their guns locked up

19. I'll ask again.. Does anyone here actually own a concealed weapon?

20. Certainly people should be instructed on how to use these weapons, that's why I really like the idea of a national militia, maybe a year of part time compulsory service directly after high school. The idea of a militia is also attractive because it means ordinary citizens would be trained in combat, which reduces the power of the military.