Graphics

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by KillaWillaBilla, Sep 14, 2012.

1. so i notice that new games have some awesome graphics but is it just me that notices something that needs A LOT of work. the reflections!!! yes some look amazing but half the shit looks all glossy as shit on shit that isnt glossy. like peoples hair looks like wet rubber, same with some walls and what not. It seems really that almost every surface has the same reflective qualities and everything looks rubber. Just way too glossy of a look on all games almost cartoon like and it never gets better they keep making everything MORE glossy not every surface is fucking glossy right.

2. thats a console issue with AA and the other thing...i cant remember what its called. drawing a blank lol..

but console's engines are generally less powerful and render worse environments,etc.

3. Graphics won't take a huge jump until the next generation of consoles.

4. Graphics already taking a huge jump on PC...

DX13..DX14 both on the way.

Graphics will always be way ahead on PC.

Next Gen consoles will be "better" than the last gen, but still shit compared to what PC can put out.

I will always stand by the fact that gamers should boycott the console...and go back to PC gaming ONLY.

but it wont ever happen ;)

5. Yeah sure.

Try and play Wii U games on a PC, oh wait you can't.

PC gaming isn't always the best, i'd rather take a comfortable couch + controller (with it actually working and me not having to use xpadder)
    over better graphics anyday. Also exclusive console games say hello. Some of the best games will NEVER make it to PC, PC gaming is dying and the only people who care about it are the nerds that buy pointless hardware to get more FPS gains on games that ALREADY RUN FINE ENOUGH.

6. You can most certainly play wii games, or rather, use remote IR sensitive games, on a computer

how do you think the wii processes things? With some magical form of equipment a computer cant use? Because a computer will generally be able to do anything a console can do, you just need peripheral equipment to accomplish it. Excluding the PS3 and its Cell processors and the fact there are no (easily/cheapy obtained) motherboards for the consumer that can integrate a cell

Case in hand, my friends computer, while it doesnt emulate wii games, it has an IR receiver strip designed for the wii, but not made by nintendo, and he uses a wiimote as a wireless handheld mouse for watching movies and controlling music from across the room... and his monitor is a 50 inch fucking tv... so it all works quite nicely

7. #7 BlazeLE, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2012
    the only games that require xpadder are games that arent even on console or are like 10 years old...

and if there were no consoles those exclusives would be on pc...

also halo 1 and 2 are really the only good console exclusives ever and they are both on pc. and you forget about all of the PC exclusives that you've never even heard of. ntm free to play games, have fun waiting for microsoft to let you have free enjoyment. then there are mmo's that will never make it to console.

and as for the whole couch argument steam just released big picture mode beta which lets you use a controller to access your games and the internet. while its a bit buggy now it only released a couple days ago and is still in beta.

oh and do you really want me to bring up performance? after switching to pc i cant even play my xbox anymore. the only reason i do is forza which plays at 60fps. i bought mass effect 3 for xbox and stopped playing after 5 minutes because the opening cut scene dropped below 30... a cut scene... the one part of the game they have 100% control over and they couldnt even get it to run smoothly... on pc i have yet to drop below 60 (unfortunately its a console port with no graphics settings and vsync locked on) but it still looks better than the xbox version. now as for counter strike which just came out im guessing its at 60 on xbox and not maxed out where as on pc i play it maxed out and run at 120-200fps.

8. I think there's way too much focus on graphics today at the expense of gameplay. More time and money spent on graphics means less time spent on deep gameplay mechanics.

I usually forget entirely about graphics a couple hours in. Gameplay is what keeps you hooked.

9. #9 NutsLikeKngKong, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2012
    You can do that on PC's too lol. I love how everyone thinks you'll pay for a gaming computer, but can't afford a $5 cord and a $30 controller.

I've been plugging into my TV since before I got into PC gaming. Also, every game that gets released on multiple platforms will instantly recognize an xbox controller when you plug it into your PC.

Side note... the card that the next generation of xbox's was derived from can be boguht for about $50 right now. And the console isn't set to release for like another 2 years. If anything, you can expect the advancement of graphics to slow down significantly because of consoles.

10. lolololol, no, no, no, no, no

.) I could use an xbox controller with my pc and hook it up to my big-screen if I wanted to; it would be just like a console except on steroids. But I won't because the mouse and keyboard is 1000x more capable and my office chair is supremely comfortable.

.) Uh.. you know there are plenty of awesome exclusives on pc too, right? Probably not...

.) PC gaming dying??? Quite contrarily... Maximum PC | The Return of the King: Why PC Gaming is Making a Comeback

No need for the ad hominems, I was envious of pc gamers too until I became one

11. [quote name='"NutsLikeKngKong"']

You can do that on PC's too lol. I love how everyone thinks you'll payfor a gaming computer, but can't afford a $5 cord and a $30 controller.

I've been plugging into my TV since before I got into PC gaming. Also, every game that get's released on multiple platforms will instantly recognize an xbox controller when you plug it into your PC.

Side note... you can buy the graphics card that the going into the next generation of xbox was derived from for about $50 right now. And the thing isn't set to come out for like 2 years. If anything, you can expect the advancement of graphics to slow down significantly because of consoles.[/quote]

Lol 360 controllers hook directly into a usb port on the console, and I'm fairly sure ps3 ones do as well... anyone who thinks it would be hard to interface controllers on a comp is just nuts....

My computer is my tv and my console.. I have a 360 too, mainly for local multiplayer lol. Computers don't do as well with that I've found

12. Yeah it still blows my mind how it just works instantly though. You just plug it in and go, don't have to set anything up or load anything. And the games automatically switch to "Press A to do ..." instead of "Press enter" if that makes sense. You forget you're using a computer sometimes haha.

And yeah multiplayer is hit or miss. I've had a ton of fun with left 4 dead multiplayer on the PC though.

13. #13 silenceme, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2012
    I've done PC gaming for over 10 years, I know how it works.

You spend 600-800 bucks or more on a computer that is "good", and then 2 years later when you post your specs and ask for help you get

"WOW LOL, look at that bottle neck. Upgrade your CPU bro."

So you end up spending more money so you can play the newer games on your PC with ELITE GRAPHICZ.

OR, you buy a console and enjoy playing games for years to come and not worry about your specs.

Yeah you don't NEED the best computer, but after 4 years it is no where near "top of the line" and isn't that why you buy a computer? So you can have better graphics? What's the point when the hardware becomes shit 4 years later?

I remember getting a gaming computer, and then Crysis comes out months later. And all the hardware people got couldn't run it on high. I bet it would have looked the same graphic wise if you got a console.

Don't even try and tell me otherwise, PC gaming is a huge waste of money unless you just get a budget PC and end up playing newer games with the same quality as consoles. You also have to deal with bugs, installing a big ass game(or DL if you use steam), and sometimes shitty consoles ports(saints row 2 says hello)

PC gaming is just a huge waste of money if you are trying to keep up and play every game that comes out, BUT I will agree and say that playing older games is where its at. You can't beat buying a $500 computer and going on steam and getting TONS of games. It's just funny to hear someone say "Oh yeah its way better on PC" but they don't add "Well after 4 years a game might come out that you cant run on MEDIUM SETTINGS, but all you gotta do is SPEND MORE MONEY TO PLAY IT SMOOTHLY" ...... Yeah, I'd rather stick with a console that was made to play games and plays it smoothly no matter what.

Basically it all boils down to : It isn't worth spending that money just to have better graphics or to be able to run a game smoothly. I've gone through enough gaming PCs and games to know this by now.

14. #14 motorbreath, Sep 15, 2012
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6BB047BG_Q&feature=related]How to use a wii without sensor bar - YouTube[/ame]
    This video is pretty cool.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBw0R1AUU64[/ame]

And also this video. Keep in mind this is a user created mod! :eek:

15. this is only true if you want to play every game maxed out at 60+fps. and if you build it properly its very easy to make it better every couple of years without going bankrupt. unfortunately i fucked up and bought a shitty mobo but after i get a new one my computer will be great for years to come only upgrading graphics (also bought a not amazing graphics card).

16. [quote name='"silenceme"']I've done PC gaming for over 10 years, I know how it works.

You spend 600-800 bucks or more on a computer that is "good", and then 2 years later when you post your specs and ask for help you get

"WOW LOL, look at that bottle neck. Upgrade your CPU bro."

So you end up spending more money so you can play the newer games on your PC with ELITE GRAPHICZ.

OR, you buy a console and enjoy playing games for years to come and not worry about your specs.

Yeah you don't NEED the best computer, but after 4 years it is no where near "top of the line" and isn't that why you buy a computer? So you can have better graphics? What's the point when the hardware becomes shit 4 years later?

I remember getting a gaming computer, and then Crysis comes out months later. And all the hardware people got couldn't run it on high. I bet it would have looked the same graphic wise if you got a console.

PC gaming is just a huge waste of money if you are trying to keep up and play every game that comes out, BUT I will agree and say that playing older games is where its at. You can't beat buying a $500 computer and going on steam and getting TONS of games.[/quote]

Lol there is a flaw here. Where a computer will still play next gen games on lower graphics if its semi up to date, the previous console will not play the next gen... so in order to keep up, technically, a computer is more cost effective lol

If you want to play every new game in full graphics on full settings, you are correct though, and that is the question at hand here lol

17. #17 silenceme, Sep 15, 2012
    "this is only true if you want to play every game maxed out at 60+fps. and if you build it properly its very easy to make it better every couple of years without going bankrupt. unfortunately i fucked up and bought a shitty mobo but after i get a new one my computer will be great for years to come only upgrading graphics (also bought a not amazing graphics card)."

You'd be surprised man. When Oblivion came out, the most RECENT TOP OF THE LINE HARDWARE had issues. I had what was considered "good" but not the best, and I had to run Oblivion on MEDIUM-LOW settings, that would dip below 30fps MANY MANY TIMES.

You just can't predict how PC hardware is going to react, plus sometimes Nvidia runs better on games or vice versa.

I just like buying a console and knowing its gonna play a game that comes out 5 years later, and for the most part runs perfect. I've had way more issues getting games to run smoothly on a PC then consoles

"the previous console will not play the next gen."

Yeah well you don't buy consoles at the end of their life cycle. And you can just change that sentence to "the previous PC hardware will not play the next game" So I really don't see the point.....You either get a console for 300 bucks that plays games for the next 6 years, or you get a shitty PC for 300 (if you can even build one for that cheap) that will DEFINITELY not play a game that comes out 6 years later.

I just wanted to say I LOVE PC gaming ,especially for games that have tons of mods on PC. But let's be real here, stop telling console gamers its way better and cheaper when its not. It's only better if you keep spending the money every few years to keep up with the hardware, sorry, but some people dont want to do that.

18. i built my computer several months before bf3 came out and i run it on high just fine. and there isnt really generations with pc hardware so that doesnt really work like that... and games run fine on console (if you consider 30fps with dips fine) but they dont look nearly as good as on pc and are no where near pc in terms of frame rate. plus mouse and keyboard > controller for FPS's and for everything else you can use a controller on pc.

ntm mods.

19. #19 silenceme, Sep 15, 2012
    ^ Yeah well if you got crossfire graphics cards, quad core CPU, a lot of ram, and a nice HDD I can see how it wouldn't be a problem. But thats a lot of money, if you DONT get a computer like that expect to see a drop in FPS and quality as the games keep coming out and requirements go up.

Besides BF3 wasnt a huge jump, considering it used a modified engine and all.

Imagine when GTA V comes out, I wouldn't be surprised if you cant run it that well with the computer you have RIGHT NOW.

I've had to upgrade my computer more times then once since the time the 360/ps3 have come out. What does that tell you? And I'm not even trying to MAX games, i'm trying to RUN them smoothly on medium/low settings.

20. i dont think anyone argues that pc gaming is cheaper when its purely pc vs console. but im assuming most people that have a console also have a $700 (over 1000 for laptops) name brand computer that cant play games. so they spent roughly the same as or more than pc gamers did to do both. hell my friend spent like $600 on his computer and runs BF3 just as well as i do when i spent $1000 but he used his old hdd and got a great deal on a used graphics card from one of my other friends. and when you uprgrade to a new console you spend like $500 and your old shit is useless. with pc gaming you only upgrade what is needed. my processor will still be awesome in like 3 years especially once i switch to liquid cooling and a new mobo so i can overclock a lot more. people overclock my cpu past 4ghz easily. new mobo and liquid cooling will cost around $250 which is half the price of upgrading to a new console.