Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Grapefruit Juice

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Stiffler1470, Feb 13, 2010.

1. So I am taking this drugs and behavior class in college, fucking amazing class. Anyways, we were talking about the different ways for drugs to enter the system and how our bodies start metabolizing the drugs. My teacher was saying how on some medications, they put a caution label saying not to take with grapefruit juice. Apparently, there is a chemical in grapefruits that temporarily inhibit a group of metabolizing enzymes, which in the end, causes the drug to stay at its high point longer. Has anyone heard of this or tried it? Since i heard it, I was thinking of drinking a lot and then smoking a lil afterwards and see if my high will last longer. What do you guys think?

2. Try eating a Slightly over ripe mango at least an hour before smoking. You will get higher.

3. can you just max out a bunch of grapefruit? i love the fruit but i hate the juice

4. I heard the whole mango idea but haven't heard why it does this, so im just skeptical. This is scientifically proven. Im just seeing if it will make my high last longer, like i start coming down hours later.

5. There's is a chemical in mangos called Myrcene I believe, that crosses the same path to where the cannabinoid receptors are, so it makes it easier for them to cross the blood-brain barrier. Ed Rosenthal discovered this.

6. Overripe mangoes have a bunch of myrcene or something that is supposed to help THC cross the blood-brain barrier faster I believe, grapefruit juice has chemicals that slow down metabolization of chemicals in the body, probably in the liver or digestive tract, so unless you eat your bud, it probably won't do anything. I think...

7. My gf and I actually tried the mango thing a couple times now I drink it on a regular basis so I don't really notice the dif.

We bought a container of Looza Mango Nectar, its only 35% juice but We split the bottle, there is about 16oz for each person, then smoke like 40-50 min later

8. #8 Anubis578, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    ---

9. Unfortunately THC is metabolized by a different enzyme in the liver than the one that grapefruit affects. Haven't heard about the mango thing before but it might be worth checking out, prolly just more stoner folklore though lol.

10. Grapefruit juice fights for the same receptors as DXM and opiates so the high lasts longer.

11. I've heard of it, heres some info i got:

grapefruit can have a number of interactions with drugs, often increasing the effective potency of compounds. Grapefruit contains naringin, bergamottin and dihydroxybergamottin, which inhibit the protein isoform CYP3A4 predominately in the small intestine, but at higher doses, hepatic CYP3A4 inhibition is present as well.[12] It is via inhibition of this enzyme that grapefruit increases the effects of a variety of drugs by increasing their bioavailability.[13][14][15][16][17] The effect of grapefruit juice with regard to drug absorption was originally discovered in 1989. However, the effect became well-publicized after being responsible for a number of deaths due to overdosing on medication.[18]
    Grapefruit juice may be the first documented, but apple and orange juices have been also implicated in interfering with etoposide, a chemotherapy drug, some beta blocker drugs used to treat high blood pressure, and cyclosporine, taken by transplant patients to prevent rejection of their new organs.[19]
    Unlike other fruits grapefruit contains a large amount of naringin, and it can take up to 72 hours before the effects of the naringin on the CYP3A4 enzyme are seen. This is particularly problematic due to the fact that only 4 oz of grapefruit contain enough naringin to inhibit substrates of CYP3A4.

[SOURCE] wikipedia