Grandpa's growin' again

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by pointswest, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Nice to hear man! you where within like 15 miles of me. How was banks lake? Pretty good bass fishing their!

WGG

2. I am completly new to growing mj. But as late in the year as it is i am still wanting to start, i was wondering if you thought i could buiild five individual plant greenhouses and leave out through the fall of the year outside and still make a decent yield. its the only way i think i could grow and it would be nice to know if this ideal is reasonable in the state of ky and what complications you think i will run into... Thank you

3. Pointswest...Dude...Props on the organic AACTs...Awesome results, as you know
    Pics are beautiful, and anxiously await the pics of fully develped flowers

4. the olympix are a real neat spot to tour around. Wish i could have been out there, it's soooo relaxing!

5. CB, you are a little late to start a crop in KY at this time outside. The day length is too short to grow a plant to maturity before freezing weather. Individual small greenhouses would not hold enough heat to keep the plants from freezing before finishing flowering.

Some of the short flowering autos might have enough time to finish, but the yeild will be dissapointingly low for the effort. When using photoperiod plants they have to be rooted and vegged by the end of August to get a reasonable harvest. You would better off using your time growing a few starts inside a month or two before planting time in spring.

I am sorry it took a long time to post a reply, as I have just returned from a vacation in WA.

PW

6. AKM, thanks for the kind words of support. Now that I have returned from the PNW, I will be going to the grow site tomorrow and will have new pics to post. The on site grower says many are getting close to harvest now. It has been 3 1/2 weeks since I last saw the girls, so I too, am anxiously awaiting the beginning of harvest.

PW

H2T, I have really enjoyed my trip to the PNW. Growing with partners has a lot of disadvantages, but we have all been able to take a break during the grow as the other growers pick up the slack during the vacation periods.

I hiked to Shi Shi for a couple of days on the beach and then moved down the coast to explore the ancient Indian village of the Ozette tribe. and explored the coastal beaches in the area for a few days.

We also spent some time on the Makah reservation and salmon fished and went to Cape Flattery for a couple of nice sunsets. Hiked into the Ewah valley for a couple of more days, then returned home via Mt. Rainier and down thru the Yakima valley.

Thanks to all in the PNW for a great vacation, I will post new pics by Tues of the latest stages of the plants.

PW

7. #107 pointswest, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
    Yesterday was a pleasant surprise to see the girls after a few week break. The SAGE and the Big Band are almost ready to start cutting. Trichs are clear to cloudy with a few amber starting to appear. We will wait two more weeks and start the cut on these plants.

The Vietnam Black/Thai has started to flower at this time. It has been about three weeks since seeing the first stigmas on these varieties. If we can keep from freezing we will let the flowers ripen for 14 weeks if possible, so 11 more to go. Anything after the first of Dec is starting to get risky for growing here, even with cover and added heating.

The six early planted pots are producing better flowers than we anticipated after reversing and re-flowering again this fall. Many of the end colas are getting large and will be very smokable, the rest may end up in the hash pile.

The Big Sur Holy Weed X Blueberry continues to impress as the buds are some of the fattest and dense in the room. It probably has at least another month to finish, maybe more. It should produce some impressive colas.

The Columbian Gold and the Alaskan Ice are just starting to form flowers, both seem like they will produce a good crop of buds. I think we will have enough time to finish these varieties even with the late start of bloom. We may have been too aggressive, growing pure sativa plants at 40N. Only time and mother nature are in control now.

The Tora Bora, one of the early reversals, is starting to form 3-4 large arm sized colas on each plant. We always look forward to harvesting this plant, it makes La Confidential seem like day weed. The LSD is wiry and growing in all directions, with a lot of tips forming. I have never liked the way this plant grows, even though the buds can be a real knockout if grown well. There are many other varieties that will grow better, and with limited space we will be switching to a plant with bigger buds.

Best of harvest to all

PW

Attached Files:

8. #108 pointswest, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2012
    More pics from this week.

The plants starting to finish soon have all started the senescence and many of the original fan leaves have been used up and have been removed when completely yellow and are spent. I feel this is a lot of energy wasted if the fans are cut before the proteins and hormones are translocated into the flowers for use to finish the flowers. The plant will give up the leaves when it has no longer use for the stored foods, no need to take this off earlier.

I don't think our buds are any smaller than others I see with large plants, due to not removing the foliage. Many of the flowers are now arm sized and have another month or more to grow to finish. At this time I can say last year's harvest met our goal of "one grow, one year's meds". Upon inventory from my last year's crop, I can happily report that there is 2 oz + left to use until harvest and cure this year. It should be no problem to keep from running out before this harvest is cured. I also have 20g left from the hash production from last years fans and trim.

This year looks like it will be better than last, as we solve some of our grow problems, we learn to use our greenhouse and try to improve each year. We were beginning to worry a little bit about the 3 sativa plants that were slow to start flowering, but mother nature willing, we will finish these plants at the end of Nov or first week in Dec. Our area will experience the first freeze these next few days. I hope it does not get too low before we take the first cutting and rearrange for supplemental heating. Usually we can take 10-15 degrees below freezing until the plants start to freeze in the greenhouse, so I think we will make this first cold snap with no problems and warm up to another month of Indian Summer. Hopefully the cold nights will start to color the flowers when the temps are consistently below 50F.

Bontiful harvests to all

PW

Attached Files:

9. Damn man, I wish I had enough time to flower out some sativas outdoors! I couldnt imagine trying to grow another 11 weeks in the climate that im in!

Very lucky indeed!

WGG

10. WGG, we are just experimenting with the pure sativa. We don't know if we can finish them even with the greenhouse cover. I am an old smoker from the 60's and would like to find some old school genetics and I am willing to risk failure in hopes of recreating some of the land-race classics from the past. Your crop is looking very good. Sorry to hear your friend ripped you off. If I could have baby sat, I would have stopped on my way home to help while you were gone.

PW

11. PW- Thanks man! Yeah It sucks but it really isnt that bad considering to what I am going to still be getting. I could be one of the guys creating a thread about being completly ripped... Damn that would suck..

But I to am interested in the sativas, Love them. I have thought about getting some doctor greenspoon seeds and trying to incorporate them into a breeding project... Sounds like some work with 100days flowering time but it would be well worth it in the end.

WGG

12. If our breeding project works like we want it to, we will be breeding all the sativas and 100+ day flowering varieties with the Big Sur Holy Weed/Blueberry. It was one of the first plants to initiate flowers, so we will try to shorten the flowering cycle, while retaining the larger buds on a multi branched plant like the sativas. The Big Band plant was also an early bloomer, but it is feminized and I don't work with any fem plants. This one was a freebie with my seed order or I would have never planted it. I only use regular seeds in case I find something I want to breed. I don't trust the genetics in feminized seeds and find no reason to use them in breeding. Ace has a lot of interesting sativas if you are curious to try some.

PW

13. This should be stickied. You give growers hope my man.

Im subbed. Keep up the good work!

14. hows goes it??

15. PI, thanks for the kind words, we will try to finish with an interesting harvest, hope you enjoy.

pigpen, we have been busy sealing up the vents in the top of the walls to get through this cold weekend. It got down to 24 at the gh, but no damage so far. It looks like we will get a short break before the next freeze. We are getting the small portable heaters ready for the colder spells. I'm hoping for that long gentle fall weather up to Dec.

I need to get busy and bubble all the leaves collected so far, before I get too far behind when we start cutting next week. It looks like we will have 3-4 plants ready to take the top colas soon.

Best of harvests

PW

16. sounds like you got your hands full man,

hope the vacation was good.

gonna neeed the little trim gnomes to come help!

and if you need any advice or help with your processing of trim dont hesitate to ask!

its also insanely cold down here in the springs.

the outdoor grower with NO heat is screwed right now.

as theres like a few weeks left in flower for most, but i hope they all harvested early.

17. The cold was brutal this week end for growers. I am not that far from you and the nights were getting into the mid twenties. That would have wiped out our hopes for this year. Now is when the additional covering and all the hassle of cooling in the high desert is starting to pay off. At least we don't have to worry about moldy buds, and with the GH covering, bud worms are nonexistent.

With our selection of sativas and sativa dominant varieties we could have only cut about three varieties last week, and then they would have been early for my tastes. We hope to start taking the large, end colas, by next week on the SAGE, Big Band, and maybe a little Chocolate Chunk for our first cut. The hybrids of ours have at least four more weeks and the sativas won't finish until Dec if we make it.

Tonight I'm running a soccer ball sized clump of fan leaves collected when they yellowed. Most people would not go to the trouble to run these, but it adds up to an extra 25-30g to add to the harvest in the end. I don't mind a little time spent for an extra 10 each to share. With the leaves we only keep the 45 and 73 for smoke and use the 25 for cooking. I usually compost the material from 90 up to the work bag. It wont be long until we start to get those large piles of sugar leaf. That is what I am waiting anxiously to run.

Stay warm, all the best

PW

18. fam leaves i usually avoid unless you see visible trichs

19. Nice looking crop so far bro. Waiting on big Sativa's is hard, hope you get a good pay off as well!

20. #120 pointswest, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2012
    This week we thought we would be ready to start cutting, but were surprised to find only a few amber trichomes yesterday. We will wait another two weeks and try again. Since we will be growing for a few more weeks the plants were watered with molasses, silicon, and fish hydrolysate and top-dressed with a small amount of EWC.

The sativas have started flowering and now have many finger sized colas on the branch tips. With six to eight weeks left, they should gain considerable weight before harvest. Many of the earlier flowering plants are developing some really nice large colas, Big Band, Chocolate Chunk, and BSHW/BB all have arm sized colas finishing up.You can now start to observe that last two week surge people talk about at the finish.

Luckily the plants have stopped growing upward and the growth is in the girth of the flowers. Four or five plants hit the roof before slowing down. The Vietnam Black stopped at 11 1/2 ft and we cut 6 ft off during veg, I only wish it were warm enough here to grow this one outside to finish with no pruning. It would certainly win the tallest plant contest.

Best of harvests

PW

Attached Files: