Grandpa's growin' again

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by pointswest, Mar 29, 2012.

1. We hosed the room down before transplanting into the large pots. This is also how we keep the temperature down in the heat of the day; by wetting the floor. It is already getting over 90F outside, so the room is starting to get pretty hot even in the beginning of the grow. In a couple of weeks we will instal a swamp cooler for the hotter days.

PW

Glad to have you along for the ride. Our house is not really a greenhouse, but a shed with the top and south sides removed and replaced with polycarbonate glazing. This will be our second year growing in this room, so we hope to have the inaugural grow problems worked out this time. Enjoy

PW

2. so blue buckets .. different nute recipes for each plant? or temp control?

3. #23 pointswest, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
    Wharf,

We water by hand and the water quality is real poor here, so we let the water sit for at least 24 hours before using. We are hoping the tubs of water will also give a little cooling and a small boost in humidity. The several tubs are placed just for convenience when watering.

The fertilizers are already added to the soil mix. We will only top-dress if necessary with the meal mix or teas, no water soluble fertilizers except fish hydrolysate for this grow.

PW

4. as I hit submit reply I was thinking exactly this.

chlorine from city ? thought you were far enough out to have a well ( don't mind me I gotta rebuild the well works for my new house, so I'm asking lots of questions about H20. :p)

and since I forgot the first time.............. NICE PLANTS MAN !!!!!!

wish I could get outside already. stupid Jet Stream :mad:. gonna run 30 gallon Smarties too, should be fun to compare this year.

Peace and again looking good.
    Wharf

5. hey PW, here are the lights that are working great they are just 3 bulb solar led spot lights all self contained no wires, they come on at dusk and run till their battery runs out (about 3-4am)
    GEDC1526.jpg

GEDC1525.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. 69er, thanks for the tip on the lights. The plants look like they are starting off well, should be some real monsters.

PW

7. lol ya not that one thats the bubblelicious (only seed from last years harvest) she's a small plant maybe 4 oz plant only cuz shes in the ground. sweet nugs she'll make, just not a cash crop plant

8. #28 pointswest, May 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2012
    This week we transplanted the rest of our clones into their final pots. We have started our plants a few weeks too early and it got pretty crowded in the inside grow room before we moved them out to the greenhouse. This week we have more than 14 hours of daylight at our latitude. The plants vegged so long they started showing pre-flowers when we transplanted. The plants from last week's first transplant are not showing new flowers in the newer growth, so we hope the plants will start to veg outside normally.

The plants from the first transplant last week were ready to be watered again. With these large pots, this will be the first watering since transplant in 8 days. This watering, the older plants were given pro tec silicon, molasses and Epsom salt. The silicon and molasses will be continued throughout the grow and the Epsom will not be used again until flowering unless needed.

The newly transplanted pots received two more cups of meal mix per pot at transplant time. The plants from last week are getting settled into the new larger pots and are starting to grow new shoots from all nodes. When they grow a little more foliage we will stake better and train to open the centers on the plants.

Today's plants look a little tired from the 3 hour ride in the back of the truck in 85F weather, but a cool front is heading our way and we are hoping they will harden off gradually to the heat. All of our clones are transplanted now and there is only room for 2-3 more plants. At this time I have 4 seedlings of Big Sur Holy Weed X Blueberry and hope to add a couple of these to the plant palette to finish out the grow. Crossing my fingers I get the 50/50 split m/f. I would like some pollen from this plant to save for later. All seeds are regular seeds except the Big Band (F).

The plants included in this year's grow at this time are:

Tora Bora
    Big Band
    Viet Nam Black X Thai
    Columbia Gold
    LSD
    Alaskan Ice
    SAGE
    Chocolate Chunk
    Big Sur Holy Weed X Blueberry

Last week's transplants have now hardened to the sun and are starting to send out new growth. We hope in a couple of weeks we will start to train the plants to optimize our space. The plants are going to really enjoy the extra space to fill out in. All the plants in the greenhouse were crowded under 3, 4ft T5's at the inside veg room, so now they will breathe a sigh of relief. We have prepared as well as we know how and will try to give the plants what they need, when they need it, and hope for some healthy girls.

Peace and good luck to all.

PW

Attached Files:

9. #29 pointswest, May 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
    A few more pics of the new transplants.

PW

Attached Files:

10. already got the bamboo out and training by the first week of May!!

i hate you... in a rainy, 40 degree kinda way.....

jk:p:D

lookin tight man.. mad props already .:smoke:

wharf

11. Gotta question, would done plant veg faster indoor under T-5s or outdoor? Outdoor in southern california so the temperature is 75 to 80 during the week on average.

12. I'm not sure what you are asking, a plant will grow to a bigger size faster under the sun vs indoor lighting, but the plant will veg indoor or out until the day length is reduced to less than 14 hours.

PW

13. sorry for the poorly written question, but you answered it. I was wondering if a plant would grow more rapidly under lights than outdoor, but luckily thats not the case, thanks.

14. Hi Pointswest. I wanna see too!

15. Please join the party Irie, plenty of seats in the front row. We will be lifting the skirts soon.

PW

Yesterday was a work day for us at the greenhouse. Several plants were staked and topped to get a better shape on the plants as they veg for the next two months. Most of the plants have adjusted to the intense light and heat in the greenhouse. A few of the indoor leaves sunburned and dropped off, but the new growth has hardened up and is growing well and healthy looking.

Most of the plants showing preflowers have stopped and begun to veg normally. Three varieties are still showing more than pre flowers, but now have three leaflet leaves mixed in the flower clusters. We hope these plants have stopped flowering and are starting to show signs of vegging. If they continue to flower we will replace with other plants started from seed and are just about ready to transplant.

The plants were watered this week with Pro Tec silicon and molasses. This will be added at every watering. The plants were also sprayed with lavender tea/silicon this week, neem/silicon next week, then alternating both up to flowering.

The plants seem to be growing healthy and the new growth has good color. The additional meals added to the soil mix look like they are working well. I was afraid with all the different meal mixes, that I might be making the soil too hot, but the six week curing of the soil mix must have helped get the soil working.

Cuttings of all the varieties were taken yesterday to insure we don't lose a good pheno of one of the plants. So far, so good, we are hoping the grow progresses without too many surprises. We have chosen our plants so they will ripen for harvest at different times. The early varieties will finish in Sep, the hybrids in Oct, and the Sativa in Nov. The Viet Nam Black X Thai has a flowering time of 14 weeks, so we will be patient and dream about some psychedelic sativa smoke.

Good growing

PW

Attached Files:

16. #36 pointswest, May 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2012
    A few more pics from yesterday's work day.

PW

Attached Files:

17. We spent another day staking and tying the plants this week. The plants are rooting well into the larger pots and the new foliage is looking good and expanding quickly. We have spread the limbs out to allow more sun to penetrate the center of the plant. The plants seem to like the recycled soil and new amendments. The 2-3 cups of meal mix/cu ft was not too hot after 6 weeks of cooking.

Anyone considering using the larger volume pots, be fully aware how much soil this will take. We are planting 18 pots, 6 each 20,25,30 gal. We have used 450 gal of mix to fill the pots and another 60 gal for the transplant clones. We added 300 # of EWC and could have used twice that amount. Recycling our soil from last year has saved considerably this spring.

Now the plants are starting to fill the new soil with roots and soon after, a large spurt of growth occurs. The largest Viet Nam Black/Thai has already reached 7 ft. I think we will have to top again and remove another foot to slow this one down. Two more months to veg and 14-16 weeks flowering should make some real monsters. I am thrilled to grow a crop with several sativa's on the plant palette. All of the plants that were showing flowers or pre flowers have reversed and are starting to veg normally. It is getting close to just watering and waiting patiently.

The plants have been free of insects so far. I hope the neem cake and the lavender spray is enough to keep them clean. Another addition to our grow is a swamp cooler added to the greenhouse. The trial run was on a 95F day and the temps inside were kept below 80F, so we are hoping our days of growing in intense heat are over.

Green side up :smoke:

PW

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Today we transplanted our Big Sur Holy Weed X Blueberry seedlings into larger pots while waiting for the pre flowers to show the sex. All of the earlier transplanted plants have rooted well into the new soil and are starting to replace the smaller indoor leaves with large vigorous leaves and branches.

The new meal mix seems to be doing a good job of feeding the plants this year. We are at the wait and grow stage and so far only water and a weekly application of molasses and silicon is all the plants get at this time.

The larger sativa plants have now grown to more than 7 ft tall. This week we topped another foot off the plants to have enough room to flower. At this time we are growing 4 inches a week in the veg stage and have at least 2 more months of veg to go before flowering starts. We should fill all the available space in the greenhouse by flowering time. The Viet Nam Black X Thai plants are going to be really large sativa varieties. They are well shaped and have many branches and tip shoots forming. We flowered the mother to test the potency and were really satisfied with the results.

All of the plants that were starting to initiate flowers have reversed now and the normal veg is continuing with all the plants. With 8 more weeks of veg time we are confident that we will have a heavy harvest this year. We now have 10 different varieties growing this year. This will be one of the few grows I have used seeds from commercial seed banks. Most other times the plants only had a location from around the world to separate the different plants identity. The SAGE, BSHW, VN X Thai and Big Band look like very good additions to our plant palette. Early test buds from these plants were very encouraging.

We are still not finding any mite infestation or signs of other insect damage. The Neem cake in the soil mix seems to be keeping the bugs away. A few more plants were staked and opened up to the light. In a few more weeks the plants will have grown through the screen and the extra support should keep the branches from breaking under heavy weights.

We have started collecting the spent leaves and trimming to start running concentrates from the waste product during the grow.

This will be the last picture update for a few weeks. Now that we are at the water and wait stage I am, taking a vacation and going rafting in Idaho again this spring. The next post with pictures should be quite a change.

I appoligize for the quality of the pictures. I only have a cheap point shoot camera to take the pictures with. I have also tried to post full size pics from the thumbnails, but when I copy, only the link appears in the text, not the full size pic.

Heavy harvest to all

PW

Attached Files:

19. #39 WaGreenGuru, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2012
    Hey PW,

Nice looking plants man! Your going to have some monsters come september! Going to be fun sticking around for this grow! Glad that I got in early enough to.

Anyways Ill be around! Happy smokin and growin!

Lols had to edit! Jeez man you already do have some monsters if your sativa's are already over 7ft! Thats insane and 2 more months to go.

20. WGG, thanks for the visit, I hope this will be an interesting grow as it progresses. The plants are not too wide yet because of the overcrowding in the inside grow room, but they are really starting to grow upward and the branches starting to elongate now that they have some room to grow. The net trellis is installed at 7 ft. for reference.

We have pruned for a better shape and height control a couple of times and may have to shorten some of the sativa plants again. Time will tell all, nothing to do but wait and observe.

Best of luck with your outdoor grow

PW