Grams per plant?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by b2theone, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Hi there guys!
    I'm about to start my first grow room in a garage and I'm planning on using a 6x6x6 area with 2 hps lights (200 watts each) placed on the sides and one (100 watts) places on the middle (I'll also use MH in the vegetative state). I'm thinking about ordering 4 different seeds (LSD, Tangerine Dream, G13 haze and Super Lemon Haze) whose yield ranges from 500 to 700 gr/m2 indoor.
    How many grams can I possibly harvest from one single plant in this condition (range)? Should I improve lightning (or anything else) in any matter so I can get more yield?

2. Sounds like that is going to be a low amount of light for that area.  If I am not mistaken, a 200w hps is good for a 2'x2' area.  Two of them together should be good for a 5x3 area which is less than half of your grow area.  Depending on your training methods, you might pull a zip per plant.  Since there are many variables,  it could be as little as half a zip per plant or as much as two per.

What I do know for certain is that you are not gonna get 500g m/3 on a first grow using a couple 200w HPS.  Those yield numbers are based on experienced growers using 1000w lamps in a commercial quality grow room.

3. eh usually these numbers from the seed banks are based off of 600w lights for indoors, and obviously the sun for outdoors, but who's counting?
    to answer op's question, getting proper lighting is entirely based off of how much area you have. So let's do the math:

you have a 6x6 area, which means you have 36 sqft of workable space.
    The sun produces approximately 10,000 lumens per sqft on the earth's surface at the equator. Marijuana's best growing conditions exist between the equator and about 45 degrees to either side, depending on the season, of course. So, given the difference in sun heighth between seasons, which is 23.5 degrees, we can assume that growth in nature exists between 7k and 10k lumens.
    (now, I know there's a whole slew of people that will say 'but dish! plants grow through PAR values not lumens!' to which I say, 'yes, yes, I know, but if we are measuring our general intensity of light using lumens for both the sun and our lights, they can essentially cancel eachother out, and we end up with a relatively accurate guess for our actual lighting. it's not a perfect guess, but it's close enough for what we're doing')

so we're looking for 7k-10k lumens per sqft. given that a 1 kilowatt hps light averages about 150,000 lumens, we can safely say that this light would be optimal for a 15sqft area. so if you have a tent that is 4 feet by 4 feet, use a 1kw light. they're practically made for one another! or even better, 2x600w lights. if you really want to go crazy, 2x400w hps, with 2x250w mh lights strung between to mix spectrums. but again, that's being really picky.

so, for the OP's area, in 36 sqft area, you'll want about 4x600w lights. remember that depending on distance from the plants, the bulb's intensity will fade. so I suggest with a 600w you want to rig cooling systems so you can drop your light to about 10 inches off the top of the plant.

I guess my point with all this is, for your first grow, maybe don't use the whole 6x6 area. but build your system so one day you can utilize the whole thing. so start with 600w knowing that you'll be buying 3 more as you get more experienced and wish to expand.

4. iu agree you need at least 50 watts a square ft. so you need a total of 1300 watts. at 500 watts you would only reach a .5 per watt ratio, and most growers only reach a .3. at .5 you would only reach 250 grams and thats less than 10 ounces, and your bills are probably higher than that.  But the sucky part is trheres alot of other limiting factors besides lights, like air circulation, exhaust, room temps, bucket temps or soil mix. humidity, c02, p.h, ppm's during levels of feeding, genetics and so forth which can lower your yield from that .5 per watt yield.....even the type of light bulbs and whether there new or not, and training.  Im not tryna disvcourage you but alot of growers go in and become disappointed and never grow again, and I dont want that to happen here.....do some more homework on the matter.   Were here to help each other.

5. oh and don't grow tangerine dream. it's a terrible strain. if you want that same citrusy-ness go with tangie. it took the cup this year.

6. #6 b2theone, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
    Hi again guys, thanks for all the help so far!
    I would be complety satisfied if I could pull off 100 grams or even a little bit less per plant :)
    I won't pay any electrical bills, because has I said before I will be planting on  a garage wich is rented from a small shopping mall so they are the ones who will be paying the electric bill and they won't probably notice because it gets into a major account wich is shared will all the stores and other studios/garages (anyway, even if I get caught, penalties for growing in my country are in the worst case a 200 euro fine, so, no biggie).
    My major problem is that I have limited cash (200 euros, 300 tops) and there will be only one power socket for the hole crop/ a bunch of amplifiers, a tv, etc (so I will have limited watts also).
    So, what do you think? Is it possible to harvest 50-100 grams per plant with all this limitations? And do you think it will be woth it (Is there anyway I get a better quality from my weed than the one sold in the streets, wich by the way isn't that great)? If so, what are your advices for a newbie with this possibilities?

PS: For a matter of convenience, I'm planning in changing the set of my growth to 3x9x6. Is there anything wrong with this?
    Also, if I go ahead with this project I'm planning on topping and do LST with them.

7. which country are you in? 300 euro wont get you much, especially with a 3x9. I have a 90cmx90 and a 600w and the whole setup cost me about 600 euro

8. \nI live in Portugal... The costs will be shared, so it really depends on what the rest of  the guys are willing to spend... What I'm really concerned about is the power outline because I don't really know if it will handle everything and I don't see any solution for that problem... Btw, in what did you spent the 600 euros so I can have an ideia of what to expect?
    Also, If i cut the size of the area and the plants in half (2 plants for 3x3x3) would I be able to get 150 grams of dry high quality herb? That would solve some of my problems eventually and 150g are more then enough...

9. I have tangerine dream going and I am excited as hell about it. The pictures I seen resemble an impressive looking strain I used to take care of as far as plant structure, height, and the buds looked dense as hell.

Prolly just one of those strains that needs real lights to grow lol

10. for 600 euro I got a 90x90 secret jardin tent, a 600w light plus cooltube and ballast, ducting and fan. I got two oxypot dwc systems. nutrients ive spent around 50 on so far, im picking up some cannazyme today i'll probably end up spending 90 total once I have everything I need. so about 700 in everything not including seeds.

I've heard they're very inconsistent. did you go through seed or clone? and tangie I've heard nothing but good things about, and DNA genetics usually puts out good stuff

11. starfish and watermelon works wonders too

Oh... I'm probably going to do a tent with black/white plastic in some wood structure so hopefully I won't spend half as much :)
    I'll spend 100 euros in lightning tops (mh and hps), 50 in nutrients, 40 in seeds and there will be plenty of stuff I'll probably get for free like fans, pots,etc... Maybe more 100 in stuff like ph indicators, carbon filters, etc, and if I'm lucky I'll try to convince the guys in spend some extra cash to install another power line...

13. Id say no. If your gonna grow here's what you'll need equipment wise is.At least a 400w HID(Metal halide or hps) kit with dimmable ballast or a 600w HID kit, their available on amazon for 150$-300$.(get air cooled hood kits, it'll save you a head ache later i promise).Good soil, no miracle grow.(10$-20$)Cannabis specific nutrients(check out gen hydro).(25$-100$)I recommend buying a tent also.(75$-800$)You need inline fans (6"-8"). One for bringing air in and one hooked to your hood.(10$-200$)A ph and ppm testers(under 20$)A humidifier(depending on your area).And pots to grow it in. Bigger pot=bigger plant. Good luck.

14. where are you seeing 150 euro hid kits? i see ballasts alone are 130 euro without light or reflector. and tent is definitely the way to go. i tried diy before I'm never going back to that.

15. #15 b2theone, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014

Have you seen Jorge Cervante's Ultimate Grow? He show's how to do a tent with plastic and some wood and I was thinking on doing that (it's in the first part of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO6GhtrgxJ8)... As for the light kits: http://www.alojadamaria.com/pt/produtos/filtrar/categoria/iluminacao/subcategoria/kits_de_iluminacao_completos/marca/kits_600_watts

16. oh well yeah, those kits work fine I though you meant digital ballasts. which run cooler and more efficiently. and those don't come with air cooled reflectors. neither of which are necessary, but that's what I thought you meant by your post.

17. One more thing :p
    I'm trying to go the cheapest way I can and therefore I found some low price products that I'm considering in buying, but I thought it was better to ask your opinion first, just in case. What do you guys think about this for:

Fertilizers- http://www.alojadamaria.com/pt/produtos/biobizz-try-pack-indoor/

Carbon filter- http://www.alojadamaria.com/pt/produtos/filtro-carbono-activo-odor-sock-boca-100300mm-225m3h/ordenar/preco

Lightning- http://www.alojadamaria.com/pt/produtos/kit-600-watts-hps-basic-shine-agrolite-groflo/ordenar/preco

Ph test kit- http://www.alojadamaria.com/pt/produtos/ghe-ph-testkit/

18. looks fine, you'll definitely need an extractor fan to get all the heat out. and without a cooltube, you'll definitely want just a regular swivel fan or two inside your grow area to keep it cool. those 600s can get pretty warm without an aircooled rig.

19. the cheapest way to bump up ,certainly the spread of light is to buy a miltipack of 23w(i think is an optimal rating easily found at any diy store or supermarket) warm light (for flowering) chuck a couple of cool white in for full spectrum if you're picky but its not necessary . ps those reflective paper plates or meat pie trays and stickytape make great reflectors happy (cheap) bodging

20. I got 9.2oz off a 250whps

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Grasscity Forum mobile app