Grafting

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by diablo_cannabis, Jan 9, 2009.

1. #1 diablo_cannabis, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2009
    I'm curious to know if anyone here has tried grafting their plants.

Here is what I am thinking: I know it can sometimes be difficult to get clones to root. But what if when you start up your grow, you also separately start up some tomato plants as well. When it is time for your grow to be cloned you should already have an established root system with the tomatoes. Probably the best way would be to just do a splice graft of the mj plant onto the tomato root system and boom, instant roots! And another thing if the tomato stem is big enough you may be able to start more than just one clone on it. Just think a super mj plant with 4 clones coming off it!

Do you think it might make for faster clone starts? Has anyone tried it?

sorry if it seems stupid just smoked a bowl and started thinking. I might consider trying this with some bag seed or something.

2. never heard of anyone doing it. not sure if there would be any upsides to it.

but go for it

3. ive heard of someone trying to do it with hops but never heard about the results. ive thought about trying it to cross 2 strains so i dont have to deal with males but its going to be a while be fore i try it.

but it wont work with tomatos. the 2 plants have to have very similar DNA.

4. actually the DNA has nothing to do with it. the roots and the short piece of the stem are just going to be taking water to the mj plant above. theoretically you could graft an mj plant to an orchid root system or anything else that may have a good root system. either way the plant is going to be whatever part is on top.

5. I don't think you would be able to cross like that. If it works anything like Apple Tree rootstock/scion grafting, the root system will have no effect on the bud/seeds produced.

6. That'd be retarded. If anything, gaft an indica to a larger sativa root system. You'd have a drought resistant plant.

7. yeah jorge cervantes says that exact same thing in one of his books...

8. this is exactly what i am talking about. i have never read any or cervantes' books, but the separate research that i have done proves to me that this is pretty much what they do to maximize yield, etc.

this is what alot of farmers do with tree orchards, in my area it is mainly pecans and apples. its pretty much the same as cloning but your root system is already established and you should be able to move to the flowering process faster.

damn! all this good info has got me really wanting to play biologist right now!

9. I don't know if it would have enough pros over cloning to be worth it, but it would give you something to do with a plants roots after harvest, instead of just trashing/composting them.

It is a really interesting idea, if you end up doing something like this diablo, send me a PM or something so I can follow along :)

10. well what ive learned about grafting is from fruit farmers in the south where i grew up. the process i learned actually crosses the 2 DNA strains if compatible. ive grafted plums to peaches, lemons and oranges, and 2 different rose species. ive done it before so you cant say im wrong about the science behind it but i may be wrong about how it would work with weed. thats why im trying it.

grafting isnt just using the root system of another plant. the 2 plants actualy grow into one hybrid plant. and DNA is very very important. there is no way on earth you can graft weed to a lemon tree, they are just to far apart genetically to work together. its just like bone grafting or skin grafting. dog bones wont graft to human bones.

11. So... fruit farmers in the south are genetic researchers then?

No, grafting does not cross DNA. When was the last time you saw a 1/2 lemon 1/2 orange from using a lemon rootstock and an orange scion? I'll give you that the plants have to be compatible with each other, but that has to do more with genus/species than DNA. DNA doesn't play into the equation all that much really, you have to understand that plants have very simple DNA compared to animals.

12. dude genus and species is coded in the DNA... so it has every thing to do with DNA. also the grafting i have done is not just using the roots from one plant and the top of another its splitting the 2 plants down the stem and connecting them causing the genetic traits of both plants to cross by connecting similar incomplete DNA strands with one another during the growth process. because plants DNA are so simple they have many incomplete DNA strands leaving them open to mutating and crossing with other plants.

i know my genetics...

and if you want direct proof of results from this process then go buy a pluot. they where created by this process.

13. #13 Version 2, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
    "According to David Karp, who visited Zaiger’s nursery, almost all of the original plum-apricot crosses were sterile, but a few bore fruit, and Zaiger started saving the seedlings of the most flavorful ones for further crossings. Even today, Zaiger’s hybridization is painstaking, involving elaborate climate control and transferring pollen with an eyebrow brush."

-In Pursuit of the Pluot

And Genus covers more than just DNA. Maybe you should read up on Taxonomic Rank a little more before you tell anyone else this thought of yours.

14. well i have witnessed and done this process. so i know it works but i may be wrong on terms and conditions.

when it comes to genetics i have done a lot of research and work with reptile genetics most of all. i am very new to plant genetics. so i apologize for any errors ive made. there are a lot of differences between plant and animal genetics that i am slowly learning about. im always open to correction.

genus dose have to do with a lot more then just DNA, but everything involved in the genus is still coded in the DNA. but like a computer, coding wont get you far without the hardware.

15. Oh, so now YOU'RE a genetics researcher. Lol, quit talking out your ass, theres no need to impress anyone here. Forums are about the free flow of information and ideas, it's OK if you don't know something kid. It's called learning, it solves that problem.

16. I thought I'd post this for anyone that's interested:

How Plants are Trained to Work for Man Vol.2 Grafting and Budding by Luther Burbrich (Dial-up beware! This is a 19meg .pdf)

This book was written in 1921, so obviously there is more up to date information out there. I find this book interesting tho mainly because of the language used and the fact that no one talks quite this descriptively anymore.

Burbrich is known for being a very experimental field researcher who believed more in results than data. He has many unique crossbreeds and hybrids under his belt including 26 different vegetables and 91 different ornamental plants. Cool dude, it's worth looking him up if you're into that type of thing.

17. ok i never disrespected anyone and even apologiezed for getting some terms wrong. all i did was state what i thought to be write and when facts came up that showed i was wrong i stood down and said i was wrong. and yes i do research a lot of genetics and have done quite a few genetic projects.

we are hear to share information, not to insult those who make mistakes and not to insult a person you know absolutely nothing about based purely on assumption.

18. #18 Version 2, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
    Still holding on to the geneticist story then? Lol.

I'm actually going to thank you for participating in this thread with me, it's been fun :D But for now it's bed time, and in the morning I'm off to do extacy in the mountains for the rest of the weekend, so I won't be back to debate with anyone till sunday night :(

19. Just becuase he's interested in genetics and does studies/research in that field doesn't mean he's a geneticist :) I do a lot of studies/research in the botany field but i'm no botanist.

20. i just like genetics. its fun. i bread snakes for a while and got really heavy into genetics threw that. most people are shocked when they find out how many genetic mutations there can be in one species of snake.