Grafting

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Gordo1980, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Does anyone have any pics or exp with grafting one strain onto another or cannabis to a hops plant?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I would really appreciate any helpful input on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Would be interested to know

Take me to your Dealer

4. It can be done more so when you have a crop of males and just one single female

take cuts from the female(like small clones) and use the male as rootstock

but unless its complete and going well in 10 days

then you'd be better of cloning the female in the first place

as clones have roots by day 10 in most cases

this weed grafting does have its novelty approach

where in many strains 4-6 phenos can be grown on one plant

a good method where you can only grow 5 plants for legal reasons

or perhaps want to maintain a wide selection of phenos with just one mother

good luck

ps just be sure the cambiums sit tight and exact

• Like Like x 2
  5. #5 Grumbledore, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    You can almost always graft plants of the same family together (not cannabis and hops) for various reasons some for commercial reasons e.g almost all apple trees in Europe are grafted to m9 rootstock (another apple that I wish the UK had put a royalty on when they developed it) to control vigour, sometimes the reasons are novelty such as grafting tomatoes and potatoes to have a crop above and beneath ground.

You can easily graft 2 indices or 2 sativas but it is not possible with autos and I think sativa x indica grafting would not be possible (?). In fact you could graft multiple strains together if you are skilled in the technique. There is a piece of artwork called the 'tree of 40 fruits' as proof of concept. You may want to practice whip and tongue grafts as they have good rates of success I believe or side veneer grafting depending on your intentions

6. Agreed.

7. That's why I was seeing if there were any pics out there. People swear up and down its possible. I was just interested in the novelty. Thanks for the info

8. I've had a little success with grafting in my vegetable garden. But haven't yet tried it with my babies.

9. #11 Grumbledore, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    Ye man a little bit more research says that the vascular bundles within plants mature over time changing structure and arrangement within the stem. Unfortunately this alteration is not uniform in plants of different families so even if the vascular bundles do aline at first it would not last