Graffiti in public places

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by 420 High Times, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Hey GC so I just wanted to get your guys thoughts on graffiti in public areas, regardless if it good, bad, or just a simple tag.

Do you support or against graffiti on public buildings. Im just getting started and have done a decent amount of work but want to try it on something bigger that people will see.

Opinions?

2. I only like graffiti on public building if they look good, and their not actual gang tags, cuz everyone know gang tags suck dick, but Graf Artists can make a community look nice SOMETIMES.

3. if you tryna get your name up then yeah you gota hit everything. but no houses, ppl personal property like cars, no churchess. its disrespectful and just fucked up.

4. unless its a couch
    fuck yo' couch​

5. I think tagging anywhere that will require someone else to clean up your shit is pretty damn disrespectful and makes graffiti art itself look bad, personally.

6. the only instance where i thought of that would be sorta cool for graffiti to be done is like on abaondoned industrial complexes...factories in shambles, etc....

even then tho, if one painted a massive swastika on a crumbling factory, it would obviously be uncool....

but other than that, anything with some sense of style, something with aesthetic consideration...yeah, i think so

edit: even then whether something is cool or not is so semantic its sitll a hugely difficult call imo...

7. graffiti is an art, art is freedom of expression, freely express yourself

8. i think its disrespectful and illegal, tho if your really good i would show places your work and see if you could?

9. Definitely this. Try head shops or mom & pop game stores or something. There were a few places around here when I was a kid that had huge killer graff murals on the side of the building until they went out of business and the art got painted over.

If you're good enough at it, there are plenty of ways to get your name out and maybe even make some money without fucking up anyones property. :smoking:

10. check this out ...reverse graffiti ...this is pretty badass. :smoke:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwsBBIIXT0E]Reverse Graffiti : Ossario : street art by Alexandre Orion - YouTube[/ame]

11. As long as the person who's going to be cleaning it is getting paid to do it, I see no problem.

12. #13 Good Bacteria, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
    For me, I find graffiti and street art in all forms fascinating and very enjoyable. Much more interesting than no graffiti even if it's fucking awful. In fact the only type I don't like to see is racist or homophobic graff.

This is from someone who understands graffiti culture and has been an active writer in the past. I can definitely see why the general public might not appreciate graffiti, especially tags, but to me it makes walking around a city (or anywhere for that matter) really exciting, seeing who's been where, who's up at the moment. Coming across something unexpected. Noticing a tag in a sweet spot that 99.5% might not notice. A fresh handstyle. S'all good! :)

edit: people saying 'if you're good do it somewhere legal' just don't understand what graffiti is all about. Sure, I love seeing a nice mural but the illegal element of graffiti is what makes graffiti what it is in many ways. For me, if it's legal, I wouldn't class it as 'graffiti'.

13. Big difference between

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQmHiQtVuws&feature=related]Pose and Ewok x Ironlak x SuperVision. - YouTube[/ame]

and

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGAXZIlcqvs]Bst bushopping Piece by piece - YouTube[/ame]

^ that second clip is from the movie Piece by Piece, if you want to actually know something about graffiti, watch that movie.

Of course, the people in the second video are sponsored by a paint company. The people in the second video make their own markers or steal them from art stores/shoe stores...

Differences are abound in graffiti.

It's okay, you can admit you like graff . . . :)

14. I can see the beauty in it, but it is pretty disrespectful to people who do not see the beauty. I took a couple shots of some Grafitti in a rural city.

[​IMG]

15. tag where ever you want
    enjoy it while it lasts
    big brother is coming to getcha'​

16. Graff is the shit. I suck and if you've ever tried it its really humbling to realize how breathtakingly amazing graff is. I got mad bubble letter throwups lol :p

17. I like the stuff I see in philly , murals n shit . gang tags are lame tho

18. Graffiti creates jobs for people, the government gives community workers money, to wipe clean the graffiti, so that another make make art on the bare canvas, ergo creating another job and making someone money, (would be refreshingly ironic if it were the street cleaners who were the ones who did the most graffiti) and i hope, that those people spent their hard earned government given money, on a fat bag of weed and some spray paint....Jah bless their souls.

19. Actually graffiti buffing is a sought after job by alot of graffiti artists, at least where i live anyway