Got some issues with my babies 3 weeks into flower

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by WindowSillDude, Oct 20, 2018.

1. #1 WindowSillDude, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Initially I started these on the window. See my previous thread. I scraped some cash together and got a light. I had them in the wardrobe with no ventilation. Put them straight into flower after about a month of sunlight veg.

Mildew started to appear about 4 weeks ago so I sprayed them with bicarb and liquid. It done the trick, but a week later it was back. I knew the cause, I needed to get some ventilation in there and a bigger space.

I've now got a full setup. I have a 90cmx90cxmx2m tent with a 600watt light. There was a little mildew before I put them in their new space so I sprayed them up with bicarb and liquid and this fixed the issue but damaged the leaves.

I'm Currently running at 400w until my bulb arrives. I have a 5 inch rcuk fan with speed controller complete with silencers and acoustic ducting. I also have a large osc. fan blowing on them 24/7.

No mildew has surfaced and plants are looking so much better. Growing fast and there's shoots appearing all over the place. Shame I can't transplant them, but it's too late now. What started off as a little window grow has quickly turned into a large grow.

Feed wise they've been on bio bizz fish mix all veg. When I put them into flower I started giving 1/2 fish mix and 1/2 biobizz bloom for about a week to start them off. My biobizz grow arrived and I took the fish mix out and replaced it with the grow (the grow formula is intended to be used all grow not just veg).

I'm following the bio bizz chart and yesterday they had their first full feed. Maybe that was a mistake - only time will tell. I am a little confused on the regime because my pots are smaller than average. Some advice there would be good.

Around the time I added the bloom I didn't notice any problems initially. The pots dried out super fast and I think I left them around 24 hours in dry pots.

The Problem

Initially I noticed some pale green leaves on the lower levels. Older fan leaves. The leaves eventually crisp up and die.

Throughout this entire grow I've noticed the leaves that are on the same node as a bud site will eventually die off. I topped them multiple times and bent and snapped them but they all bounced back. I seen the leaves on the same node die off but the bud node grew strong and healthy.

I assumed because I left them dry the plant took some nitro out of the leaves to use for food.

I then noticed what appears to be nute burn. There's images below. And if you look at the overhead pic of the 3 plants you can see their lower fan leaves are turning a pale green.

The new growth doesn't appear to be affected at all. There's lots of new bud sites popping up and sprouting stems and leaves and they appear to be ok.

I had 2 plants that wasn't on the bloom at the time as they were late starters. They didn't show any yellowing or paleness which leads me to believe it's something to do with the nutes.

[​IMG]

Top leaves appear normal ...

[​IMG]

Here's the whole batch of them ...

[​IMG]

I'm going to feed them water for a while and see if it improves and then gradually increase the feeding. They need feeding every day almost because the pots dry up fast. Never growing in these pots again. Silly idea, but I hope at the end of it I get a nice harvest to show off ;)

Might remove the grow formula and use the fish mix instead as many people seem to prefer the fish mix for the entire grow.

Growing in organic soil. Haven't Ph tested runoff as I don't usually have Ph issues with organic soil but I will test the run off tonight when I water them with plain water. I'll report back on that.

The nutes I'm feeding them contain all the nutrients they need so I'm puzzled ... Any advice is much appreciated.

I've probably missed a bunch of things.

2. PPM is 980 and PH is 7.5. Never had this issue with organic soil before - never tested tbh. Do I need to use ph down? Don't have any at the moment. Will the soil's microbes in the organic soil fix this if I flush them? I've read many posts of people with a 7.5 in organic and it hasn't been an issue for them.

Flushing them with water as we speak just to be on the safe side. Any input is gratefully appreciated.

3. Update. Fed them purely water since posting this and they're doing perfect!

They're about 2-3 weeks into flower now because some started flowering later. I'm repotting them today into 3 gallon pots to give them some room. Will start them on their feeds in the new pots at a very low dosage. Will also mean the pots wont dry up so quickly. Some will have to remain in the cups due to space but it will be interesting to see how they grow in 2 different containers with the same feeds. I'd expect the root bound cups to have issue but we'll see.

Also got a huge co2 canister on route. Should last me a couple of grows tbf.

4. No need for PH anything mate - Soil naturally buffers itself to the correct PH! - bigger pots will def help too ! By the looks of your pics, you just need a little Nitrogen!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Too late to pot up. Should have done that before Flower. Roots don’t grow very fast after the stretch, the energy goes into bud growth and reproduction.

Good experiment though. I actually grow in one gallon pots of Tupur and will veg for 5-6 weeks and flower in same pot. Have to feed twice daily in flower and sometimes late veg, but it works

AA8CB3C7-CB24-497F-A50D-66A03A8F8DB0.jpeg 34A8F280-191F-4B00-93E1-43B5E1D96E3E.jpeg ACC6B95A-A2E6-4AB3-82C4-D9602E3C0C25.jpeg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Lo
    Looks good man! Glad to hear things are getting better. I would use the fish because it really does help with flower as it contains materials that get broken down in the soil to feed your plant the auxins and Cytokinins needed to increase your plants growth.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nice buds! I've got my string prepared for holding some of these up.

I've read so much conflicting information on reporting in flower. Some say no, some say yes. I'm on the fence because it's not something I've done before and I just feel like the best way to tell is to repot half of them and see what happens. I've gained a lot of confidence with these plants because initially these were just a window grow experiment with bag seeds. Every bag seed was female so I had far too many plants than I expected. I decided to start bending, topping, snapping etc because I actually wanted some to die but non did. Now I'm here ha ha.

I've just got the cannabis encyclopedia so I'm going to spend the day reading this. Been wanting this book for ages.

8. I'm ditching the grow nute that bio bizz advise to use and sticking to the fish, and I'll give the topmax a try if they do well on the fish and bloom.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The bio bizz grow is good too as it gives you some more P and K for the bloom cycle as well as a form of molasses. The molasses is used as a form of sugar which helps with aroma and flavor of the buds as well as feed sugars to the plant to generate more energy towards bud development. But Molasses is best in soil because it needs those microbes in the soil in order it to work as well as it should while coco it wont work. If scared to feed too much, then give half advised rate to your plants.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Good advice thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Re potted some of them today into 3 gallon pots. And for an extra experiment I put 2 of them in 1 pot.I re potted the best looking ones that were in early flower, and 1 that was in late flower. I keep a diary :)

Fed them food too. They was on water for 2 feeds. Growing healthy but still yellowness. So I started thinking "they need food they're deficient". Someone in this thread said it, and a friend said it. So now I monitor for improvements. The plants themselves though are doing very very well. I'm super impressed with how its going.

Will update with pics soon. I got a root bound pic too. I know people like root bound pics he he.

12. Forgot to ask, how do you get water through those roots? I'm having a hard time now it takes a long time for the water to start running off and soak through in the root bound pots. I'm pretty sure there's dry spots in there. Heard some suggest a drop of liquid soap but wasn't sure.

13. I never have an issue. If growing bigger plants I’ll add some gravel to the bottom for counterweight. They never get a chance to dry with 2-3 daily feeds

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tried fabric pots yet? They're amazing

• Like Like x 1
  15. That's what I repotted into :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. I up potted to a 25 or 30 gallon plastic container from a fabric pot. I'll never do that again lol. Time to make a 30 gallon fabric pot. Plastic sucks

17. [​IMG]

Repotting worked out imho. The ones in the large pots are growing different to the ones in the small pots. Ther's 2 in 1 at the back, they're doing great too. They're all at different stages. I think the one at the far back left is the oldest. Could be wrong. There's some very young in there. 1 has only just started flowering. One of bottom right looks a bit droopy. Different strain that one is. Sativa I think could be wrong.

18. #18 WindowSillDude, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Update. They're all doing amazing. They've been on full feed and showing no problems and lots of improvements.

I also went into the attic to check on the fan. Suction didn't feel right for a 5" that can move 350 m3/hour. Not using carbon filter yet as theres no smell and as there's 1 bend in ducting and the ducting is short I should have no problems getting that. But it didn't feel right.

Turns out one of the clips had came unsecured and air was leaking at the suction point. Fixed that and everything is perfect. Temps are spot on. I hate my attic because it's dark, with thin beams to stand on. Trying to work in poor lighting with cramp is painful.

I feel confident i can leave them alone now to do their thing without worrying about some future problem. They been through the wars and they came out the other side fighting fit. I hope they repay daddy with some tasty, enlightening, buds.

Will get pics on next feed. One is developing a fat cola and is growing daily. Hairs are still sticking out everywhere on it so it's not done yet. Can't wait to see what she turns out like. Re potting was definitely worth it.

My next grow I'm taking it to the other extreme and growing 1 plant in a large pot. Will veg a handful, flower them, reverse the flower back into veg and pick the best looking female and work with that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 1028181817.jpg This is my Big Apple, growing in a 30 gallon tub. I highly recommend growing one or two and Scrog.

20. That's my next grow yep :)

• Like Like x 1