Got pump oil in my Errl! Experienced bho runners help!

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by StinkyCheese420, Apr 19, 2013.

1. I just got my first legit vacuum pump for pulling butane from my oil. I just did a run and hooked the pump to a mason jar (waiting til my desiccator comes in the mail next week) and after pumping for about 20 minutes on and off, somehow the oil you put in the vacuum pump leaked through the hose to the mason jar and ruined my oil.

Has this happened to anyone, and how can I keep this from happening again?

2. anybody? i dont want to ruin another run tonight!

3. I'm assuming it's because your mason jar doesn't have a valve, most desiccators should include one. You need to create a seal between the pump and the jar before switching it off or the pressure will try to equalize by sucking air and oil through the vacum back into the chamber.
    You could try unhooking the pump while its still running, I have no experience but it seems like it would work.
    Oh, and I would not recommend dabbing that oil!

4. thanks man, i got a shutoff valve.
    and yeah, i threw that batch away. Made me sad because it was so golden. haha

5. info on what setup your using/ where you got it?

def interested on more info

6. What have you done since to fix this?

7. What kind of pump do you have? Most likely you have a defective pump. There's a devise in the pump called an Anti-suck back valve (ASV) that's most likely not working properly..I like to use dry scroll pumps myself.

8. Check out StupidStuff's thread on making BHO. Someone had this problem here:
     http://forum.grasscity.com/harvesting-processing-medical-marijuana/1122034-how-make-bho-pass-testing-really-nice-waxshatter.html/page-38#entry17575853

People talk about putting things over their oil while purging to make sure they don't contaminate it. I think someone talks about this earlier on in the thread about how to prevent the backflow in the first place but I couldn't find it (having trouble with the new search feature).

9. I wrap mine in parchment paper fold it up like a sealed package, then put it in my chamber.  I also have the shutoff valve so I can turn it off before I turn off my vac.  You could have "winterized" with a solvent to reclaim your goodness

10. I would never recommend someone trying to save pump oil tainted errl. Thats just bad news, gotta move on and learn from it, definitely get a brass ball valve

11. dude that happened to me before, i just sold the oil for less money

what comes around, goes around

13. way to help out the masses.  :angry: if YOU wouldnt use it why would you let someone else?