Got Paint?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by dropinbiking, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Just thought I'd share the two home-made paintjobs I've done since getting a garage to work in.

First is a 95 Corolla, I had to reconstruct both rocker pannels, and some rear quarter work. Swapped the tail lights and gas tank cover while I was at it.

Here's the whole album: Toyota Corolla Photos by dropin_biking | Photobucket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second is a 92 K-5 Blazer. It needed a passenger side rear quarter pannel, and two new front fenders. I also replaced the front grille, painted the rims, and buffed out the chrome bumpers. Next up is some tint and interior work. This isn't a high dollar build so there's no hurry.

Here's the whole album: Chevy K-5 Blazer Photos by dropin_biking | Photobucket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I spray painted my jeep if that counts

3. Why wouldn't it? I started off using spray cans too. Whatever works man. You got any pictures or a thread? I'd love to check it out

4. #4 High on blunts, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013
    Was painting a car a hard skill to learn? Iv always wanted to try it an my car could use some new paint/clearcoat....at least the side thanks to some dick scraped the fuck outta my rear quarter panel an just bounced....just saying a note woulda been nice...

Looks like you did a good job on your cars.

5. That really sucks dude! It's never fun to get mystery damage. Um, it's kind of easy to learn at first, a little overwhelming, but it's impossible to master.

To be fair, they aren't "my" cars. I did the Corolla on the cheap for my mom about a year after she bought it ($400 ftw) I was 17 with a little know how. The Blazer was a split deal between me and the rents. My mom drove it, now my dad drives it, I did the paint in the fall (now 20) When my dad is done driving it, I'm putting that into off-road mode.

6. Well thanks ill prolly give it a shot over spring break or somethin

7. Don't expect this kind of finish though lol

8. i like that blue on the chevy! giving an old car new paint makes it look brand spankin' new. WHEEEEEEEW! good job.

9. It's a newer Ford colour. Yeah, shoot me. Ford paint on a Chevy xD

10. Lol im not but that quarter panel pisses me off everytime i walk up to my car an see it so hopefully i manage to do it decent i worked in a body shop last summer never painted anything but i helped with some of the prep work an shit.....mostly sanding lol

11. #11 Zònk, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Wish you

12. Depends what kind of gun and setup you use. I went HVLP (High volume low pressure) so tank capacity wasn't such a big issue. I used a shitty 5 gallon compressor. I just attached an inline filter as to not get moisture in the gun.

High on blunts, I started out on interior detailing, I wish I started with sanding. I eventually got into removal and prep, did a bit of primer. For obvious reasons ($$$$$) I never got to do much spraying. It's just too easy to screw up and most shops are on a tight budget and can't afford mistakes. That's kind of what got me into doing it myself, I wanted to try more.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I didnt start sanding. Mostly detailing an cleanin the shop the 1st month, after that started with truck beds before we put a bedliner in an so on. Was a good experience learned alot.

14. Thanks man, I got like a 100 gallon tank but I will go with HVLP just so that I know it will work.

15. 100 gallon? Jesus, that's huge. I've seen entire small shops ran off 100 gallon compressors.

16. Yeah its big, its like the size of a large water heater. Dont you have to run some kind of pressure regulator and filter on it too? Thats what I was told, It has a regulator just no filter.

17. I put an inline filter before my air line to get rid of any moisture. I put a pressure regulator on the end of the gun for easy reading and adjusting. It helps a little to have the pressure turned down at the tank, than fine tune with the regulator on the end of the gun

18. Gonna go pick one of those up then, whats the best PSI range to spray at in you opinion?

19. Depends on type of gun, nozzle size, the product your spraying, temperature and humidity, the surface your spraying. It really is trial and error. I tend to set up some bristol board or cardboard to do some test sprays, figure a good fan and pressure setting.

Basically too much pressure and the paint lays too thin, which will flash too quickly. It's also more prone to over-spray and a bunch of other issues. Too little pressure and the paint goes on too thick, may run, may not flash correctly.

I'm sort of over-simplifying things, but I hope you get the jist of it. There's lots of reading to be done online that's for sure.

20. I got it, thanks a ton man. Trial and error is pretty much what I have been doing, just messing around till I know I can paint with out to many fuck ups that I have to fix.