Got my ass kicked by the bank

Discussion in 'General' started by PositiveAttitudeMachine, May 29, 2012.

1. So I called in to my bank today to return a message they left on my phone. The call was about my credit card being over due, as it has been for some time due to the cut down of my hours at my job, then the loss of said job for a couple months, and lack of hours at my current job.

I explained to them the situation, as I have about 5 or 6 times before, and that I could still could not afford to give them a full payment of over 350 dollars, but I had been making several small payments each month which I thought was better than nothing. The girl starts roasting me for not being able to pay it and ripping apart my very small budget, and since I had 150 dollars in my account, that should be theirs. I explained to her that money had to be used in conjunction with my upcoming pay check (about 300 dollars) to pay for my car payment (235 dollars), renewal for my car insurance(835/12, whatever that is), gas, cell phone bill (85 dollars) and groceries (which is all 100% true, I am on a very tight budget and this is all I spend any of my money on). She didnt care in the least and withdrew the money from my account, except the 36 cents, and said it is on the account to withdraw my next pay check to make up the remaining balance.

So basically I am fucked now. I am going to be behind again in my car payments, my insurance runs out on the 30th so It will be illegal for me to drive my car, I wont have gas anyway to get to work, can't get groceries... Etc etc. I just wanted to share with you my situation incase any of you are thinking of getting a credit card. Don't do it, please.

Tl;dr - Do not get a credit card unless you enjoy being raped.

2. Certainly don't get a credit card that is attached to your bank account.

And they have no business talking to you about your finances, you don't HAVE to talk to those people you know. You can tell them to put all correspondence in writing and mail it to you. Additionally you can call the better business bureau or a non-profit consumer credit council to have them help.

3. #3 BLVCK ANGEL, May 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012
    Haha shit!,Thank you for the heads up,And I'm using "Falling behind" on payments as advice.

4. Well, not to roast you anymore because I know you've gotten enough of it the past while, but you should budget better.

You do sound like you're very strict and responsible, most of the time.

But don't ever, ever use that fuckin' credit card unless you can afford to pay it all off at the end of the month. Seriously they want you to spend money on that thing, so you can't pay it back and they can screw you with interest.

I have a fuel card from my company that I use, and it's taken off my cheque at the end of the month, and at times I'll just drop my jaw, can't believe that it's sometimes as high as it is.

Any type of "buy now pay later" card is so easy to get carried away on, just be careful.

Best of luck, friend.

And, for the record; if you were within reasonable distance of me you wouldn't be late on paying any of those bills..

5. #5 CaliBudE, May 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2012
    They were able to take it out of your bank ???
    That's sucks

I'm in California and they can only take your money if you have $5,000 in the bank

6. ^^WildWill is correct, as usual.

I owed a couple grand on a card for a year or two (paid off a year ago :) My bank is Bank of America, and the card was through Citi. They never even mentioned touching my bank account!

I called and set up a payment plan with them that stopped me from paying any more interest for the next year. Paid, end of story, still don't have a credit card (except store cards).

Shit OP that sucks.

7. it's bad enough they coat the inside of your asshole with interest splooge. then they harass you and make you feel worthless if you are a little behind on a payment.. fucking money is so evil..

8. Damn man, that's a tight situation. I feel for you. Try and get more hours if you can, talk to a manager or someone that can help, preferably the one who schedules your hours. Explain to them your situation and let them know you need all the money you can get.

I'm sure you've already tried that though. Once again best of luck.

Edit: Also, if they call again, tell them to bite you.

9. Money is not evil, it is people that are evil.

10. Had this happened to me man it does suck how everyone fucks with our money. Luckily I had cash I could borrow. Try not to use the cards their set up for disaster.

11. If you have a consistent record on paying your car payment, insurance, etc. on time, if you call the people you have to make payments to, and explain the situation, you can probably get an extension. Just dont make a habit of it. I have had to do that before, unfortunatly. My ex wife, depleted my bank account right before she left, so I couldnt pay ANY of my bills. So I called my insurance agent, and she gave me a 30 day extension with no question, same with my car payment. As long as you make the payment BY the time the extension is due, its no worries. Paying it off earlier makes you look better in their eyes, and makes them willing to work with you more in the future. Just a helpful tip, bro. I hope that helps.

12. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Vlt-lpVOY[/ame]

All kidding aside, good luck with your situation.

13. just get a prepaid visa for shit you need to use a card for. other than that, put all your cash in a cardboard box behind the toilet or some shit. it would still be safer than letting the bank do as they please with your earnings.

14. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TlPo0yCSa4]South Park vs. Cafe Del Mar - And It's Gone (Johannes Dahlberg Financial Crisis Mash) - YouTube[/ame]

15. I will never get a credit card, that's just ignorance. Someone could grab your wallet and spend everything your worth.

16. i have so many open credit accounts with alll these differnt place like macys, jeweery stores, bank credit cards and stuff. when they call i just dont talk to them.

they can not doing anything else except call and make a note on my credit.

so, just stop talking to them until you either make a payment that makes them happy
    or until you pay them off

17. [quote name='"PaulKemp420"']So I called in to my bank today to return a message they left on my phone. The call was about my credit card being over due, as it has been for some time due to the cut down of my hours at my job, then the loss of said job for a couple months, and lack of hours at my current job.

I explained to them the situation, as I have about 5 or 6 times before, and that I could still could not afford to give them a full payment of over 350 dollars, but I had been making several small payments each month which I thought was better than nothing. The girl starts roasting me for not being able to pay it and ripping apart my very small budget, and since I had 150 dollars in my account, that should be theirs. I explained to her that money had to be used in conjunction with my upcoming pay check (about 300 dollars) to pay for my car payment (235 dollars), renewal for my car insurance(835/12, whatever that is), gas, cell phone bill (85 dollars) and groceries (which is all 100% true, I am on a very tight budget and this is all I spend any of my money on). She didnt care in the least and withdrew the money from my account, except the 36 cents, and said it is on the account to withdraw my next pay check to make up the remaining balance.

So basically I am fucked now. I am going to be behind again in my car payments, my insurance runs out on the 30th so It will be illegal for me to drive my car, I wont have gas anyway to get to work, can't get groceries... Etc etc. I just wanted to share with you my situation incase any of you are thinking of getting a credit card. Don't do it, please.

Tl;dr - Do not get a credit card unless you enjoy being raped.[/quote]

All I read is you make car payments and have a creditcard you have an expensive phone bill and you need to start shopping at the dollar store you obviously don't have the income

18. I have talked to every manager in every department about getting hours with them. I even offered to work my normal scheduled day shifts, then come in on the night shifts and do whatever.. Stock shelves, clean floors fuck I dont care, if Im making money I'll do it at this point... But still nothing.

This is something to look into. Except for my cell phone bill, all my other bills/payments are in perfect order. The phone and card were at the bottom of my list to pay off, though I still made partial payments. they are luxury items imo, which I got when I was actually making money.

I didn't know about the prepaid cards when I first got my cc. I was 18 at the time, but I kept it in good order and always paid it off. But then I had to repair my car, didn't have the funds on hand to pay for it so I used my cc and here I am. Switching banks on Wed. tho, that way they cant do this anymore. Gona suck for them when I start making millions and it goes to another bank:rolleyes:... I can still dream..

Tried that. They froze my account last time. No money could go in or come out until I called them. Thats why I called them yesterday, so that it didnt happen again. I just wanted to let them know that I couldnt make the full payment but I made a few small ones, now I have nothing.

Yeah no kidding. We had to move in with a family member since we couldnt afford rent. They still would prefer us to help out with bills/groceries and pay a bit of rent when we can, but luckily they understand the situation or we would be on the streets. Once September rolls around I am hoping to go back to college and actually get a career going this time. Problem is I dont know if they will give me a loan to go with my credit like this, so I could be fucked there too.

19. [quote name='"PaulKemp420"']

I have talked to every manager in every department about getting hours with them. I even offered to work my normal scheduled day shifts, then come in on the night shifts and do whatever.. Stock shelves, clean floors fuck I dont care, if Im making money I'll do it at this point... But still nothing.

This is something to look into. Except for my cell phone bill, all my other bills/payments are in perfect order. The phone and card were at the bottom of my list to pay off, though I still made partial payments. they are luxury items imo, which I got when I was actually making money.

I didn't know about the prepaid cards when I first got my cc. I was 18 at the time, but I kept it in good order and always paid it off. But then I had to repair my car, didn't have the funds on hand to pay for it so I used my cc and here I am. Switching banks on Wed. tho, that way they cant do this anymore. Gona suck for them when I start making millions and it goes to another bank:rolleyes:... I can still dream..

Tried that. They froze my account last time. No money could go in or come out until I called them. Thats why I called them yesterday, so that it didnt happen again. I just wanted to let them know that I couldnt make the full payment but I made a few small ones, now I have nothing.

Yeah no kidding. We had to move in with a family member since we couldnt afford rent. They still would prefer us to help out with bills/groceries and pay a bit of rent when we can, but luckily they understand the situation or we would be on the streets. Once September rolls around I am hoping to go back to college and actually get a career going this time. Problem is I dont know if they will give me a loan to go with my credit like this, so I could be fucked there too.[/quote]

School loans through the government don't go through credit. Also with as little as it sounds you are making you may qualify for a pell grant which can be as much a 5500 a year that you don't have to pay back. Any amount over the cost of your school is given to you. I just got a check for 900. I'm putting it in a savings accounts but it's there if I need it.

20. This is interesting, I have never heard of this. Do you know if anything like this is applicable to Canadians? If so, how do I go about it?

Thanks for all the info/help guys I really appreciate it.