Got Gnats

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by rhapsodyrcks, May 6, 2011.

1. My gnat issue is mostly resolved. Saw like one and killed it. Highly recommend that spray. No leaf damage or anything. Just a simple soap insecticide.

2. Solved it just fine with about 10 squirts. Much easier then that regiment. Its a Organic spray that is very safe.

3. Happy to report that Gnats are gone now. I have 2 fly strip things in my tent and the Spray I bought worked well. No leave or plant damage at all. I had soaked the plant to sprayed it under the leaves and on top then top of the soil. I will spray again in a 4-5 days. Drys fast no residue.

Those things were fucking annoying since they would also fly around the house. Thats how I noticed actually saw gnats around my computer screen was wtf.

4. Im dealing with the same thing now.. Going to try your'e solution.

5. Good idea. Fly strips can be had at Walmart. That spray I found only at Lowes. It had no effect on the plants. I have sprayed twice for good measure now. I soaked the leaves top and bottom and sprayed the soil. Went from like 50 of the gnats jumping around to like one.

To also ensure that there was no crazy residue later even though the product breaks down in a day I misted with water to give it a bath.

6. so i just made this contraption i will let you know if it works.

7. i just made this contraption, i will let you know if it works.

8. Where I live there is no escaping these guys. Last year they were so hardy they were running across the sticky traps and laughing at me.

They eat the mold and other stuff in the soil and lay their eggs in the soil. Once the good stuff in the soil is depleted they may go after your roots.

I did not try sand. I just did not want sand on top of my soil and getting mixed in. In retrospect I would try it for a real bad infestation.

The problem with the sprays is they killed the adults but more would hatch, lay more eggs and breaking the cycle was crazy hard. I gave up on sprays and went to neem. I drenched soil every other watering when not adding nutes. I sprayed the plants and adults. As the soil would dry I would Spray it with more neem. Neem finally controlled it after about a month.

Neem kills the larve and messes with reproductive system of the gnat. Also causes them to vomit and messes with their digestion and nervous system. Its a slow process but will eventually work. Its way cheaper than the sprays as well.

Now I start with neem early so they don't take hold so fast. Also helps the mildew issues I tend to get as well.

9. rhapsody - did you get that stuff at lowe's or a local gardening store? I have had gnats for the last three days on my shit and they are getting pretty fucking annoying. I tried the vinegar and saran wrap thing - didnt work a lick. Im gonna pick up some bug strips at lowe's and if they carry that spray you got I'll get that as well.

10. oh i read your last post and it's pretty clear. my bad.

11. #31 The Bunker, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Sorry about the bad tip. I read about the vinegar trick that same day in a magazine article. I wonder if just an open bowl would work better?

12. No worries, bro. I actually had heard about it first from my mother-in-law. She swore by it, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I will say that I left out a little bowl of maple syrup and that caught some - I don't think it's a good fix though because there are still plenty of gnats in my garden. I need to get to the store this morning, but Im lazy and just want to play madden all day haha.

13. #33 davehart06, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Yeah no luck here with the vinegar either, malt vinegar doesn't work either, just makes a horrid smell. :)