Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Got arrested for 3g in North Carolina... what now?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Mr Greehit, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Ok, a few nights ago a friend and I went through a license check and were searched by a drug dog because the officer said "he smelled" weed... which still confuses me as to how because we hadn't even smoked in the car at all. He found our weed and our pieces and gave us the joy ol' ride to the magistrates office where we were given a court date and charged with possession of less than 1/2 Ounce and Drug Paraphernalia. In NC these are both misdemeanors.

LegalJoint: North Carolina Marijuana Law

To add, the officer told me that it is very likely that the charges will be dropped because of my otherwise spotless record and the fact that we were so nice and cooperative with them.

My main question here is, should I get a lawyer... I'm not exactly rich or anything so it would beat my wallet to death. What do you think?

P.S. All of the officers were friendly and respectful much to my surprise. They joked about how they too smoked when they were our age and chatted with us until our ride got there. They also quoted entire scenes from Super Troopers... which was hilarious. /sigh... I really wish I could hate them but hell, they are just people doing a job. :/

2. "You are freaking out, man."

I'd just wait it out. No point in getting a misdemeanor or two, and lawyer bills.

3. I would consult a lawyer and just see whats up only hire if you need it.

4. Oh, I forgot... I also had fucking shrooms in my back pocket under my wallet... they removed the wallet and NEVER found my shrooms. LMAO! We tripped our nuts off when our ride got us home. hahaha

5. Can't wait till bud is legal. Till then we just have to keep fighting the system.

6. I was charged with both paraphernalia and possession(grinder with kief in it :rolleyes:) in North Carolina last year. I did not get a lawyer, I went to the local district attorney and asked to have my charges deffered. You can only do this in NC with your first charges, like in your case. Basically instead of going to court, I had to do 36 hours of community service and pay 150ish dollars in court fees and about 300 dollars in community service fees and 2 months of unsupervised probation.

So now my record only says that I was charged, not that I was found guilty. And now I have the opportunity to have it expunged, which means that I could legally say that I was never charged with anything and it is completely off of my record. I havent done it yet, but all you have to do is fill out some paper work I think.

If you go the route that I went, you wont necessarily do everything that I did. Depending on how the district attorney is feeling he could make you do anything from community service, drug classes or only paying a fine. I did this cause I couldnt afford a lawyer, but ive heard of people getting these things dropped with a lawyer.

Good luck man

7. Thanks man, I was partially aware of this just didn't know where to start.

Keep the info and advice flowing please guys.

8. If I was a cop it'd be super troopers everyday.

9. OP, where in NC did this go down?