Got arrested... any advice?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by NFloyd2357, Apr 27, 2010.

1. well the worlds a fucked up place - here's my story:

last night, i'm driving back to my house with my roommate - i had just picked up an ounce of decent mids. So, i get pulled over, for the first time in my entire life. He comes up, and tells me its because of a loud muffler. I was like, ok no problem, i'll get a warning and have to fix it. well, 2 more cop cars show up, one is a k9. He tells me to step out of the car, as the dogs head over to my car. he asked me if the dogs were going to find anything, and i told him there was marijuana. he still had the dog search, and i told him where it was so the dog wouldnt rip apart the car. They arrest me, even though my records clean... i've never even been pulled over before! I was sitting in the car shitting myself because i knew my roommate had a bag of H and a needle on him ( i dont fuck with that), so now im thinking i'm going to jail. Well, of course, they don't find that, so the dopehead gets away free, and the pothead gets arrested.

They bring me in for questioning and then leave me in the cell for over an hour, and then i'm free to go, with a court date, and 2 violations: 1st offense marijuana possession, and driving with a controlled substance (marijuana -i guess because its medical here). This is going to fuck up my life... literally, if i get charged for it. They told me i could lose my license, which would mean i can't commute to school anymore. also, if i dont get the charges dropped, i'll lose my unbelievable internship for the senate at the State House. I'm fuming because i can't believe i have to deal with this over weed... whats going to happen and what should i do? they made my court date next week- no time to sort anything out...

2. If you don't know how to handle the police, don't break the law. You dug your own grave when you opened your mouth to the cops.

3. It sounds like your dealer is under surveillance. He knew you must have had something. My guess is they are trying to build a case against him. Do you know if he is a big dealer?

4. #4 NFloyd2357, Apr 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2010
    i know how to handle myself... there were already 2 drug dogs sniffing my car, and at that point, id rather tell him i have marijuana and hope that because of that, they don't tear my car apart and find my friends H and needle (which they didn't).

they definitely knew i had it, just from the way it happened... i didn't even get any citation for my muffler... the REASON i was pulled over.

I got weed from someone completely different this time, though my dealer is semi big. I think it may have been more the person my roommate gets his opiates from. not to mention our house is definitely flagged. we got broken into, and when they came for that, they made it very obvious they thought it was drug related. They kept questioning me last night about my house getting broken into and if any of my roommates or friends deal. I told them nothing and they still said i cooperated so, i dno... i'm still nervous as hell - i think i'm going to call my uncle today who's a lawyer... id rather not tell him this, but id also like to get in as little trouble as possible...

worst part?

I'm getting my medical marijuana recommendation today (well, maybe not anymore)

5. I'm no expert, but where is the probable cause? Pulling you over for a loud muffler in no way gives them the right to search your car.

6. my story sounds so much similar to yours

got pulled for the loud exhaust
    i had a suspended license, got put in cop car.
    forgot i had 2 roaches in ash tray. cop searched car lookin for a gun they thought i had, dont know whyyyy. found the roaches and bada bing bada boom 9 months probation lol

its your first charge, you will get probation. dont fuck up. probation is set up to make u fail, atleast in FL it is..

7. dogs are there and your friend has H? sounds like he should have taken the blame for the weed since it was highly likely that his hard drugs would have been found.

He was lucky and he fucking owes you big time....

8. Damn dude thats no good, tell them you were stocking up because you were getting ur mmj card tomorrow

9. #9 mementomori, Apr 27, 2010
    You seem like a good person and all but stop hanging around the wrong kind of people. Of course the Marijuana is okay, but someone having heroin and a needle on them? Why would you fuck with that? I don't hang around people like that, you are more apt to get caught.

Don't they have to have a warrant to search? You basically gave them probably cause when you said you had weed, unless you saw them with the warrant, I'm not sure.

They will ask you all sorts of questions and SCARE you. Thats what they did with the dogs. You should have asked"Sir am I getting a citation for my muffler." When he says no...you are free to leave......You don't have to give him any unnecessary information.

His only probable cause at that point was to just pull you over because of a muffler........ Sorry you got caught though, we all get scared with the cops. I know I do.

* Never mind, when he pulled you over for the muffler he probably smelled weed in your car. Keep all things on your vehicle in check!

10. sure it does.

you need to know that a cop can formulate probable cause to pull someone over after following them for 5 seconds. also i assume that if there was an ounce of weed in the car, it would possibly give off an odor, which satisfies the plain sight doctrine, at that point the officer can do whatever they want.

sorry this happened to you, is there any reason that this is such a big deal because it was ≥1 ounce. in colorado if you have <1 ounce you get a $50 ticket and your on your way, i think anyways. I know there is no jail time for <1 ounce.

good luck man

11. thats why i dont put that ricer shit on my car :p
    not saying you do. but i see alot of kids with the fart cannon getting pulled over and busted. cops have a field day with those things.

12. you can't get MEDICAL mj without your MEDICAL card, so therefore it was still purchased illicitly, which, unfortunately is not protected. would be a nice try though if the judge was a total idiot.

13. I have no advice to offer, only my concern. Its really a bummer when somebody gets their life fucked over weed. At least you didn't get charged with intent to sell. People can say all they want about you being wrong in telling the police about the weed, but I'd have done the same. They clearly knew you had it, otherwise K9 units wouldn't have been there. People can talk all they want about the cops needing warrants and all this other stupid shit but it's not true. They don't need a warrant to search in the situation. You could have told the cops there was nothing in the car and I'm sure the situation could have easily escalated.

All I can say is good luck man. Hopefully it comes out to be less than you expect.

14. thanks for the sympathy/advice.

There wasn't much i could do - within minutes after being told i was just getting a warning and to fix my muffler, 2 more cop cars show up, one with a k9. at that point, i knew i was fucked and that exercising my rights was only going to get me in more trouble. I live in a college town and the cops look to do this - they knew i had weed, and, as a polisci/prelaw major, i knew it to be best to just cooperate at that point, seeing as itd be my first offense. I also was hoping that by being honest and telling them where the weed was, they wouldnt find my roommates shit (which happened to be in a pill bottle in the same compartment... i dont know how they didnt find it but i got damn lucky). and generally, i wouldnt hang around with someone like that, but its my roommate, at least for 2 more weeks. So, yea, i get arrested, while my roommate gets to drive my car home as he's nodding off on heroin. If i get in any trouble for this i'm going to be pissed. I'm waiting for my uncle/lawyer to call me right now...

if i lose my job at the state house i'm going to be pissed - the senators do more drugs than the police could find in a year - in fact, the state house is basically a drug dealers haven

15. Yeah dude, I see. :( That really sucks..... At least they are only your room mate for 2 more weeks*. I was just saying that because you don't want to get caught up in more stuff.

You should be fine though, what state do you live in?

16. they got you man. you were fucked the second that more cops were arriving. good luck with your day in court. its probably gonna be a long ordeal

17. #17 oneblownaZn, Apr 27, 2010
    wait so why not get the medical card?

18. well apperently they knew what to look for. that sucks dude.
    Your dopehead friend should've taken the blame, they probably stopped searching after you told them where your bud was. He would've gotten more time for that H anyway.

19. dont drop da soap bhoyo

20. I'd defiantly give your uncle a call, its probably for the best. Good luck with your MMJ card, then you wont have to ever worry about this shit anymore.