Got a weed misdemeanor- in Utah! Help!

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by hwillieyams, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Hey blades.

So I'm on this roadtrip with my friends in Utah. We drove 12 hours from California for this Holi festival. For those of you who don't know, Holi is the Indian festival of color, where you throw colored powder on people.

The festival was a lot of fun, and so after dinner, on our way to our hostel in Salt Lake City, the two of us in the back seat smoked a joint with the windows down. Little did we know there was an undercover sheriff right behind us who could see and smell all of our smoke. A bad combination of our stupidity and really bad luck.

He and two other police officers pulled us over. They said to just give us all our weed, or they would just call the K9 unit. So we gave them our bag of weed and the bong, which we unfortunately weren't able to hide. Then they basically wrote the two of us our tickets, and went off.

Apparently we can get our Utah court appearance moved to California, but we have no idea what to expect, and the legal system is tricky. Does anyone know what to expect concerning how the different state will affect the punishment and the process, what we can expect in fines and punishment, and negative effects on your life (i.e. trouble getting jobs) after a marijuana misdemeanor?

Thanks!

2. Highly doubt a misdemeanor is gonna stop you from getting a job.

3. You're lucky you didn't have to go to jail

Follow thru with everything and it will not be much of an issue on your record

4. I'm in the same boat you are, but it happened at my college a little over a month ago and tomorrow is my court date.

I'm not sure what kind of fines you should be expecting, I'm not even sure. I'll let you know tomorrow after my court what happened to me, I'm in Michigan btw.

As far as trouble getting a job, you won't have any problem unless you screw up during probation. If you do that, you'll go back to court and get the original sentencing, then your "crime" will go to the secretary of state and will be put on your record or whatever (this is what my lawyer told me)

Don't worry about it too much, you're future isn't ruined or anything.

5. the holli festival was dope, and shit man that sucks. you shouldn't smoke while in a car

6. if all you were smoking is a j and had nothing more in the car, your fine probably wont be more than 100-200 $

7. I actually had a couple of these growing up, like right outta highschool kinda thing. In Ohio, marijuana possession is just a ticket and minor misdemeanor. And then after that....I got into the US military, lol. So no, it's not going to effect you finding a job that much. I just recently paid a lawyer to get them expunged since it's been over 5 years. Cost about $300 from the lawyer and got them both expunged. Now it won't show up on background checks.

8. Holy shit ski and blaze, never seen someone with a red dot man.

9. We call this Gay Pride day ! :D

10. Michigan huh? I've read up on the laws and they seem pretty strict. What happened to you and what'd you get charged for?

11. They hate us skiers.

12. Haha, I actually like skiing.

13. i was just skiing at park city, are there alot of stoners on the mountain?

14. haha i was at the festivall :):smoke:

15. Nice to see that some fellow blades were there at the festival! It was dumb to smoke a joint in a car, in Utah, admittedly. But, I found out after my original post that they don't know about the joint, because the person who was holding it stashed it. They found our weed (less than an ounce) and a little bong. Luckily the bong didn't belong to me; the girl who owns it got possession AND paraphernalia, I just got possession.

The only thing I'm really worried about now (since I'm fairly sure it'll just be a fine) is that my license will be suspended. Anyone know anything about this?

16. im in utah but didnt go to the festival lol, mormon ville man

17. haha yeah it is green now but it became red because i said something a long time ago along the lines of maybe they will legalize it because they are closing down several dinspersaries and it might be a good thing. they actually just closed them down because they were next to schools haha but it was just speculation. I looked and Wild Will neg rep'd me to red because i had a "negative attitude towards medical marijuana." lol. / ramble

18. i like living in utah, it is the perfeeect state; and yeah there are tons of stoners on the mountains man. There are a lot of mormons but they almost live in cliques, so i never talk to them.

19. Holi is the Indian festival where everyone drinks bhang lassi. (a cannabis milkshake) That's pretty cool.

20. You can probably get it off your record if you jump through some hoops for the judge like drug classes.