got a vaporizer...and...i hate it

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by rls1128, Apr 13, 2010.

1. hey guys - been a smoker for about 7 years, always used bubblers/bongs, occasionally ill roll up an L. the problem is, ive got really bad acid reflux and even bong hits hurt my throat. cant even think about using a bowl or a joint, or my throat will hurt for hours afterwards. so i decided its finally time to invest in a vaporizer. ive used a vape a few times before at parties and what not, but ive never owned my own. i did some research and really wanted the volcano, but i couldnt afford the $539, so i went the next step down and got the new extreme q 4.0 by arizer, found it on ebay for $189, normally $299 at every headshop/online shop ive seen.

so anyway - i was in the middle of a 14 day tolerance break, my first ever, when my vape arrived. needless to say, my break was cut short. i let the vape sit for 3 days untouched before i finally decided, enough was enough and it was time to break my new toy out of its box and give it a try. i weighed out .3 and ground it up, put it in the bowl and let it heat up (on temp 366 f) for 10 minutes. my vape comes with a whip and a bag attatchment so after everything was ready i tried the whip first. i sucked in a hit, tasted the weed, inhaled a little more to get it really deep down in my lungs, then i exhaled and a very thin powdery vapor cloud came out, so i know i definetly got a hit. i waited a few minutes to see if i felt anything, and i didnt so i took another hit, same thing happened, waited a few minutes and then took another. by this time the weed was still green but definetly had some brown running through it, so i mean its definetly being heated up and vaped. but i felt very little.

so, i filled up a bag. and inhaled the whole bag in a few hits. by this time i am feeling a little more relaxed, but definetly, definetly not high. my legs were relaxed, my arms were relaxed, but that was about it. so i figured, first time using it, ill play around with it the next day. the next day comes and make a long story short, i filled up and inhaled 4 bags and all i got was a headache and wobbly legs.

i understand that with a vape youre gonna get a different high, more of a body high. but honestly, im not impressed with it AT ALL. aside from the first bag or 2, all the rest of the weed tastes burnt and nutty flavored. (i smoke heddie, and only heddie, so its not mids or beasters, or schwag, its definetly good bud) i love the high i get from taking hits from my roor, but i wanted a safer and healthier alternative. the vape definetly works cuz my friends and roommate got high, but i just felt next to nothing.

any suggestions? or should i just say, the vape's not for me, and stick to killing my lungs and throat with my roor?

sorry this was so long guys, lots of information and i really need the help :wave:

2. Well lets look at this situation.

1. You were in the middle of a 14 day tolerance break when you first smoked again(which is alot at least to me :p)
    2. You did what, at least 5 full bags with the vape.
    3. You ALSO hit the vape with the wand.

Ever think it actually is the weed your smoking that is the problem? You used every possible function of your vape lol. Hell if i did that many hits/bags out of my vape i would be in another dimension. ESPECIALLY if that was just done by myself.

When i hit my vape i always like to see a nice big cloud coming out of my mouth. If it is just a light hit, then ill turn the heat up a bit wait a little and try again.Were your hits pretty big or small?

I feel that you have to get used to vaping. When i first started using mine, i felt like it did not work either. But as you use it more and more, you start to catch on to how long your supposed to hit it. Or things like how slow or fast you should inhale. With my SSV, the slower the hit you take, the bigger it will be.

Also im not sure if you can do this with your vape. But with mine, i can hook the mouthpiece end (without the mouthpiece in it just the tubing) with my 14mm bongs. My hits are WAY bigger when i connect the 2. Try that out, because a vape is definitely for everyone, and if you are "killing your throat" with bongs/bubblers then there should be no other choice but to vape.

Hope everything works out for you!

3. are you letting the bag fill up with vapor - not just air? 5 bags is a lot but it isnt the bags - it's how much weed you filled up the chamber with. Stir it after each bag.

I dont think the problem is the vape.

4. thanks for the quick reply :)

i mean, it was all the same kind of bud. but like i said, it IS good bud. i can see if it was mids or something, then i guess thats understandable, but its your run of the mill average heddie. i definetly took some big hits, a cloud of vapor definetly came out. the vape also has a fan with 3 speeds so i used the highest speed to basically shoot the vapor into my throat lol. so you think i just need to keep using it and see if it works? did u get high your first few times using it?

5. if you're getting burnt flavored vapor maybe try turning down the temp if that is an option? I had a ev en cheaper vape and loved it but simply got burnt out on it and sold it to buy new bong. Look at t this way, if you are that disappointed with it im sure one of ur friends would be interestd in buying a decent priced vape?

6. i filled the chamber with .3, cuz thats what i read that it would take. i took a few hits between me and my roommate and filled up one bag, then i emptied that weed and refilled. the weed is absolutely still green but has brownish/darker tints to it. i feel like i didnt need to change the weed just stir it, but i wasnt getting that burnt taste. my problem is i dont know if its filling up with vapor or air, it definetly tastes like weed, so im assuming its filling with weed, but how do i know how much weed it takes to fill the bags, and when do i know when the bowl is cashed and theres no thc left in it?

7. maybe you need to fine tune the temperature you're vaping at. it's a little more tricky than just lighting and inhaling. it took me a couple of days to get used to vaping.

a good way to see if it's working is your weed should turn brown after vaping. if it's still green you should try a higher temperature or inhaling slower.

8. I dunno much about that vape, but i have a Da Budda vape, and that thing is amazing.

9. Don't blow vapor right out, hold it in for as long as you can because the THC takes longer to go into your bloodstream compared to smoke. People have come over and hit my Volcano and told me they weren't high... this is why!

10. Great tips everyone! Keep it up rls1128.

I'm a long time smoker converted to vaping. I've never felt better since.

11. i had it set at 366, then switch it to 392, is that a good temperature or does it really vary that much from bud to bud

12. You said you had the fan speed turned up all the way, and in my experience that makes the hit alot more airy. try messing with the fan speeds maybe.

13. I bought a vape for 130$ from the store and I hate it. I bought it about 3 years ago and I NEVER use it. I can never get anybody to buy it either, for any price. I am not a fan.. I feel like I don't even get high!

14. There are some tricks to getting the most out of your vape.

First, its about how you inhale. Unlike smoking tree, you want to take very VERY VERY LONG drags. When I say long, I mean until you feel like you can breathe no more... im talking 30 second drags [counting 1, 1thousand, 2, 2thousand]. After the drag, hold it in for about 10 more seconds counting the same way, and finally exhale slowly. Every hit should be like a contest of how long you can hold your breathe. If you hit your vape this way, I guarantee you will get sooo fucked up.

Secondly, temperature. I prefer to start at around 355-360F, but after about 5-10 mins, crank it up to 366F, and then after a while longer, crank it up to 376F. This will increase the density of your hits, but also add in a lot more cannabinoids in addition to the vaped THC.

Thirdly, with the whip at least, be sure to stir the herb with a toothpick or something occasionally [perhaps every 10-15 drags]. I find that as the herb heats up, sometimes it tends to stick together and make clunks. These clunks prevent the hot air of the vaporizer from accessing all areas of the tree, and making more productive vapor.

Finally, make sure your weed is finely, finely ground. I usually spend 2-3 minutes [literally] just grinding my herb to make sure its like a dusty powder. This is the most efficient because the smaller the particles, the easier to vape. Be careful not to have your vape on a high heat setting when your herb is very small and kiefy tho, or it'll combust and you'll essentially be smoking an electric weed hookah.

15. alright that was really helpful. but i gotta question. you say to grind up the bud really fine, which i do, but wouldnt 376F be too high, since you said itll combust?

16. I have the Extreme Q also, here are my suggestions:

1) When filling up bags always use fan speed 1 (slower fan speed = thicker, more dense vapor)

2) Change the settings so it displays the temp in Celcius (trust me, it's easier this way)

3) When you turn it on before each use, set it to 200C and let it sit for 10 mins...after that, load up the bowl and lower the temp down to 190C

4) Stir it, load a bag, start fan speed 1, and let the bag fill

5) After each bag, up the temp 5 degrees and stir the weed. Repeat step 4.

If you're still not getting high, it's the weed. It might take you a few times to actually NOTICE and FEEL the vape high, because like you said it's different.

Hope you get it working for you man, I absolutely love my Extreme Q!

17. Are you using the fan with the whip? That could easily be the problem.

18. Yeah, only use the fan with the bags. The only time I've ever used the fan with a whip was when I was testing out my new 12' piece of tubing, but even then I didn't need the fan on to get nice thick hits.

19. 376F is still below combustion usually, plus, we're incrementally increasing the heat. I wouldnt advise throwing a newly packed bowl, of powder-like herb onto the vape at 376, if it gets remotely close to the heating element, it'll start to spark up. I find that it happens less at 354F. Thats why with every fresh bowl, I start around 354-360, and over time increase the heat.

My first 2 times vaping, I felt just like you. I was like "wtf, i didnt even really get high, just wasted my money". The 3rd and 4th times and after that, i have been completely blitzed off very small amounts of herb.

20. I own the extreme vaporizer and I'll give you a few hints as well. First check out this site: How To Use The Extreme Vaporizer - Vaporpedia
    I understand it says its for the Extreme Vaporizer but all the stuff will still essentially be the same.

1. I use the whip MUCH more than the balloons.
    2. If you have a bong with a 18.8mm then try it with the vape. Put it up to 190C and put the fan on 2-3 and take a few hits the bong helps cool the vapor and also I enjoy it more sometimes.
    3. I usually stick around 160-180C when I'm using the vape

Also if you need more information look into this site: FC - Vaporizer Forum / The New Extreme-Q Vaporizer