Got a ROOR carbon filter adapter - how do i use it?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by HxCurt, Jun 18, 2007.

1. so i ordered one of these, got it, and i have no idea how to use it really. i went to a fish store where i read they had carbon filters readily available, but all i found were bags of little beads. am i supposed to bag those up in something special and wad it into the bubble in my carbon filter adapter? any help here is appreciated, i haven't even see pics of these things in action so i'm lost.

2. thanks... ill check that out. i have the 18, btw, if anyone else has any tips.

3. the carbon pellets at the fish store are what you need if you were uncertain. most people either dont know what carbon is (so have no idea what the piece is or why they would want to buy it) or dont know how to keep the carbon in the piece. I think its a pretty clever idea, I made that thread i posted above maybe a month or so ago (not my pictures, from another forum) because of all the roor-fans --I never saw anyone mentioning the carbon filter, thought that many wouldnt know what the deal is...

so now its up to you curt, to get that bad boy workin and give us a report

4. those things are so sick, i want one for all my bongs, but ill be buying one soon for my roor. as illinisbII said, you have to give us a report ASAP. if you wanted to get the thing up and running sooner, you could go to a loca headshop, see if they have "glass screens" which is what you need, and if not those, ive heard you can cut a small piece of regular gauze filter, and place it in the carbon defuser and just put the carbon on top. i think that will work just as well to be honest.

5. yeah a glass screen could scrape the glass i've heard, but would probably work. by a guaze, do you mean those little star shaped glass things? the only ones ive seen are small, like for holes in bowls, they make ones big enough to stuff this one up? i must provide a report!

6. yeah, you need the glass gauze, but I wouldn't use a metal screen as it will cause little, albeit kind of unnoticeable, imperfections in the glass. But you need "activated carbon", like he said, pet stores have it, you can even get it at wal-mart too. prettty cheap stuff.

I've never had the chance to use one of those...I'm pretty curious myself. I guess it kind of gets rid of the need for an ash-catcher.

Hope it works great for you:)

edit- you posted while I was writing my reply too, lol, but yeah, glass gauzes are the star-shaped things, come in star shapes and jacks, etc. If you order one or w/e from roor, it's probably perfect in size, but I'm sure you could find one that works from a local head shop.

7. I use roor glass gauze that fits my .de bowl

i dont think roor america makes glass gauze but instead makes narrowing bowls or something with less pull.

roor screens are made specifically for roor pipes and accessories. roor gauze were made specifically for their pipes and pieces like this--it will be a perfect fit, anything else is kind of ghetto imo

I heard metal screen in glass will scrape--ghetto as well

http://www.grasscity.com/online_headshop/Roor_Clear_Gauze__188.cfm?iProductID=1590

8. awesome maybe ill just order one, they're about 5 bucks. seems like they should have included such an item :/

9. ^^ i agree, they dont mention the need of it what so ever. very pricey, dont loose it. i think it will be worth the 5$ although that is very expensive

10. i use a metal screen in some of my roor and phx stuff, it works well

if you are worried abotu a metal screen scratching your glass, you should be more worried about how hot butane lighters warp your nice glass bowls!

not trying to be rude at all, but i think he shoudl (for now at least) go get a metal gauze, cut it so that it is just a bit smaller than the diameter of the joint, that way it will sit above the hole at the bottom of the "chamber" and then you can just put your carbon pellets in it.

but ultimately, the glass screen is what you should get. ive got one for my bongs and it so worth it, i take it out, use it in my chillum, my bowl, its so nice to never ever pull through.

11. Is there a thread somewhere that explains what a carbon filter does. I still don't get what these are used for :confused:

12. The activated carbon takes all the tar out of the bud. Your bong water will look clear even after a million uses. It makes smoking a hell of a lot healthier and eliminates the need to clean your bong.

13. Would it not filter out a substantial amount of THC as well as all the bad stuff?

Carbon is a filter right?

We don't use cigarette filters in joints for this reason... I'm not doubting their use, but I don't mind cleaning my pieces.

I like the satisfaction of looking at a well used dirty piece for the last time, taking out of the soak and seeing it pretty much brand new again. Very nice feeling, lets not talk about how itchy you get to "make it dirty" again. :smoke:

14. carbon filter + roor gauze are german only to edit my post above, could be wrong tho

since you ordered the filter online, you might as well throw down another order on gauze, the metal will work im sure, but it will be difficult to fit it in the bubble of the filter, glass falls right in place

15. It seems to me that one of these filters would make it a lot harder to get a nice big rip off the bong. Does it not clog up the air flow?

16. im sure it doesnt or people people wouldnt like them so much?? just my guess

the screens do leave plently of clearance for air passage, those pebbles im sure wouldnt restrict much

17. glass screens will not scratch glass, metal ones can tho. Just get a big enough gause and your set. if you dont wanna wait for one, then go break a bottle and find a piece that fits

18. Carbon filters are a waste IMO. if your gona try to be healthy about smoking, well its not gona happen go and get a vape. Also its not very good to have hot smoke going through that carbon, id put it on after my AC so the smoke goes through the AC before it hits the adaptor.

19. Lol, you get the award of the day for being illogical. "If you're* gonna* try to be healthy about smoking, well it's not gonna* happen; go and get a vape." Wow. You are obviously unaware of the properties of activated carbon. Both the chemical properties AND physical properties, judging on the second portion of your post. Go do some research next time Hoss :wave: