got a question bout fertilizer

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by lovedaweed17, Dec 12, 2008.

1. so this upcoming spring i plan on growing outdoor around my town.this is my first time well growing anything.is it nesassary to use fertilizer on my plants or can i just let them grow.cause it seems real complicated cause you have to watch out for acidity and blah blah blah and you need to use special thingers to measure the acidity.basically im wondering if i can just skip the fertilizing part and still have a decent grow and have the plants reach there optimal THC content.thansk growers:smoking:

2. Fertilizer will increase your yield and help your plant's health/defense if organic.

- chemical fertilizers: work ok but you feed directly the plant not the bugs inside the earth that help protect plant (good bugs!). Doesn't better the soil (bugs help with water retention and drainage too). In case of heavy rain, nutes washed out because bugs not strong and numerous. Burning easy. Little balance.

-organic ferts: better because you feed the bugs who break down the organic you gave em into small parts that the plant can "eat". The bugs have little arms and legs to hold the soil (no flushing of nutes) and allow air in soil. Bugs happy because have food. Plant happy because protected by bugs. Lol. You happy because better taste and yield. Very little risk of burn. Natural balance.

Vegetative stage: mostly N (Nitrogen) (but P and K too)
    Flowering stage: P (Phosphorous) AND (I insist for Cantharis) K (Potassium)

Feeding with what and how often is too long to get into.

In whole season, add twice epsom salts (OP) for important trace elements. Also growing hormones (Superthrive for ex).

un. molasses

Look up soil mix for nutrients inside the mix (manure, worm casttings...). Over the Winter and Spring, that will give you the fungi needed and worms if you fill up your holes around beginning of the year. Check out OldPork's link.

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-outdoor-growing/303105-homemade-organic-fish-seawed-emulsion.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-...6-help-choosing-good-organic-fertilizers.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-outdoor-growing/295388-soil-watering.html

and Mr. Pork's organic:

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-outdoor-growing/297291-oldporks-outdoor-organic-compilation.html

3. #3 Corto Malteze, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2008
    In ferts and in soil, N is acidic so it will lower your pH, P is base so will raise your pH. K I don't know. So you can use a little of each fert as you go along but with more or less N or P (or K) according to the stage. Mj likes 6,6-6,8 (rather acidic). Use dolomite lime to raise the pH and neutralize /buffer the soil. Don't grow where there are pine needles (acidic). Or in a place that's clay soil. You can test your pH with a pH meter. I saw a "paper ph meter" (like in biology class) for 12 dollars at a garden store. You sample 4 or 5 areas in your soil and mix it with water, put in the pH paper and read the pH with the color scale. But if you do the right soil mix and take it easy on the nutes, you'll have a good pH and your plants will be fine. Most important: Make sure your spot is stealthy. Tell no one.

4. thanks bro that s helps alot.i got a long tiem to understand this.honestly fertilizing seems liek the most complicated part to me.and one last thing...thsi is a newb question for sure but ill ask it anyways wut are nutes?like people talk about them all the tiem wut are they hahaha. thanks again and sorry for that ? i prob coudl have just searched it but owel im lazy;p

5. So you expect other people to make an effort for you because you are bone idle??
    I have two words, one of them is OFF.
    The sad thing is that some deluded idiots will still fall over themselves to help you.

6. #6 lovedaweed17, Dec 12, 2008
    um k?do you know wut nutes are bro?
    and wuts the other word cause you only said "OFF"
    which doesnt make since to me.and actuelly i did search wut nutes are and all you had to say was one word and that was......nutrients instead of off cause that helps.smoek soem pot bro

7. There's organic and chemical nutes. You need to read the links man! There's some charts on the value and nature of organic ferts. You know, cow shit, chicken shit etc...

8. yeah i skimmed through them.im gonna read mor eon it later today.the last link you gave me is gonna help me more then anythign thouh i really appreciate the help.i just cant wait to get start...i hope my plants turn out ok.how did your plants turn out you rfirst grow?

9. #9 cantharis, Dec 12, 2008

This guy is having a laugh.
    Never mind, he is so out of it he gave me a good laugh, too. LMFAO

10. I did 3 grows so far: one was ripped, other two were with chemicals , in smaller pots but I got enough for the year with 8 females in 2 12 gallon pots. Better 1 Plant per pot. Or in soil. Yeah OP's' thrad is excellent but you need to do some work my friend!

11. Since your up north and have plenty of time before season, you should be reading about pre-filling your holes ahead of time if you dont want to grow in pots. There are plenty of threads (and a recent one at that) about what to do. A pre-made hole months in advance can bring about great yields. Or just use individual pots. Soil mixture is just as important as fertilizing so get that right as well.

Growing takes alot of time and work if you want good yields. So try to do it right the first time and you'll have less kinks to work out the next time.

Peace.

12. Nice.

13. yeah the only problem with prepairing the holes right now is that we have liek a foot of snow out side.i think im just gonna read read read.and once i start growin if i have questiodn ill ask you folks cause you guys obviously knwo your shit.honestly i dont knwo wut to expect when i start growing hahha.

14. hahaha :wave:

15. Good to hear, there is a mass of knowledge here, but folks do expect newcomers to spend a bit of time researching what the very basics are. Good luck with your ´09 grow.

16. #16 greenmeany, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008
    use some compost, mix it into good potting soil and use some fish emulsion in your water. if your scared of acidity go get some garden lime. or use some wood ash (it is about 25%calcium carbonate, a ph buffer, and is also good for adding Potassium) use the fish emulsion during vegetative growth, and add some wood ashes and phoshorous source during flowering. you can even use a lil bit of fish emulsion during flower but it probably isnt the best to use in flower b/c of the high nitrogen. High nitrogen in veg. state, hihg P & K in flower. good luck. peace

17. #17 Mr. Stinky, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
    my suggestion: get a 5 gallon bucket, fill it 1/2 with cheap potting soil (no nutrients in it), throw in a couple handfuls of perlite or just pebbles and sand, then put a handful of "osmocote" in, as well as a handful of lime. mix it up and put in the hole you just dug. then mix in the dirt from the hole. in a week put a plant in it and water it in.... if you dont want to water it all the time, add a little bit of the water retention crystals to the mix