Got a possession ticket, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Nathan, Aug 31, 2012.

1. I was vaping in a dorm room then I went to bed and a cop knocks on my door so I open it, he says it smells like weed and asks to search my room. I said no a few time but it had to smell and that gives him the right to search anyways right? and it's a dorm so I don't think I have the right to say no like that. Anyways he found my vape, grinder, pipe and about a gram. Since I was cooperating he dropped the paraphernalia charges and gave me a $300 possession ticket. Should I go to court? Will it effect my record if I just pay it as in getting a job, etc? He never read me my rights but I was never handcuffed I was only driven to the station, given a ticket and released so I don't think I can use that as a way to drop the ticket. Help?

2. You only have to go to court if you want to fight it,just pay it and try not to get caught again.They only have to read you your rights if they arrest you and question you.You don't really have a case here though because the cop found weed and paraphernalia in your presence.It will stay on your record,but you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a job.

3. When in doubt, call a lawer. Do not rely on a forum full of pot smoking idiots like myself for legal advice.

Just my legal advice... :smoking:

4. A lawyer for a 300 dollar ticket?Dude's gonna go bankrupt ha ha.For real you do not need legal council for a ticket lol.

5. Just pay it.

And we're not ALL pot smoking idiots! ^ :smoke:

6. Well for some people having a clean record is worth more than that, I'd lawyer up just to see if it could get dropped, I definitely wouldn't try to fight it in court without one!

7. You'd need a damn good lawyer to beat probable cause and a bunch of evidence.Honestly if you are worried about having a clean record don't do illegal things.Can't do the time,don't do the crime.

8. What school do you go to? I got a possession ticket in whitewater and they dropped it down to a disorderly conduct because I went to court and it was my first smudge on a squeaky clean record

9. I can't agree with that, as I can't agree with marijuana's illegality and don't think anyone should be put through any amount of crap for their enjoyment of such a harmless substance. And besides, no harm in a consultation (I'm sure there is at least one single pot friendly lawyer in ops area that offers a free consultation to perspective clients)

10. I go to whitewater too man haha. I have court in october and the officer said it would be in my best intrest to go but no way am I hiring a lawyer. My record is 100% clean so I'm just gonna ask the judge to get it off my record somehow I could care less about the money.

11. Um... if you just got a ticket and not arrested, I assume it's a misdemeanor if not just a civil infraction. No one really looks at non felony offenses. I say just pay it, and be glad you didn't get a dick cop that wanted to mess with a college kid.

12. Yeah well I'm trying to get my degree in business and start a career in the future I'd rather not have a drug charge.

13. So I assume you'd be fine with every other drug being legal, correct? Or do other drug users not have the same right to enjoy a substance?

OP: Pay the ticket, show up to court, dressed nice. I don't agree with the law either, but it would be most convenient for you if you just followed procedure. It's broken system, but fuck it, your freedom is unjustly at risk if you defy this system.

Edit: Unless you choose to contest the case. I will glady show up with others to protest this injustice.

14. Honestly it sucks that weed is illegal and you got busted.But I can't feel sorry for you because you got busted.You say you are trying to get a degree and start a career with out a drug charge?Then why do you do drugs?Weed is a drug,and illegal/punishable by jail time which you could have gotten if the parry was included.A ticket is not terrible,most employers probably wont look into it too much.I would invest in a sploof (empty paper towel roll with dryer sheets stuffed into it.) and blow your hits through it,comes out smelling like flowers.Also possibly sit back and look where your priorities really stand.

15. You could use the 1/2 to 1 hour free consult that most law offices offer. :smoke:

16. No dude I'm not even going to bring weed in the dorm again let alone smoke in the dorm. I need an apartment fuck dorms man:mad:

17. That's the spirit,just assumed you were going to keep smoking in the dorm,cause that is what most people would do.Yeah an apt. is the way to go for sure,and cheaper than paying fines and lawyer costs the next time you get caught.I speak from experience,that shit stacks up real fast if you take it for granted.I have to go jail on something that started off as a very minor offense.For alcohol though (imagine that ha ha).Good luck if you do decide to fight it,just know it's going to cost more than 300 if you lose.

18. Crumple that paper up, toss it in the trash bin, and skip your court date:cool:

19. I heard you win a prize for that,30 day all expenses paid vacation.In the county jail ha ha ha.