Got a letter regarding HR 2306 from my congressman

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Spoogett, Jul 10, 2011.

1. #1 Spoogett, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2011
    Dear Mr. ------

Thank you for contacting me regarding the decriminalization of marijuana. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

On June 23, 2011, Rep. Barney Frank, introduced the Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2011, which would end federal prohibition of marijuana production, distribution, and possession. HR 2306 has been referred to the House Energy and Commerce Committee and House Judiciary Committee where it is under review.

I would not want to mislead you; I do not support the decriminalization of marijuana. Drug abuse impacts a person's physical and mental health and also has serious legal, social, and financial consequences. In order to effectively combat drug use, our national drug control policy must include prevention, treatment, and law enforcement components.

However, I do believe that doctors should be able to prescribe drugs to their patients that are a medical necessity. For instance, categorizing marijuana as a Schedule III drug would allow doctors to prescribe marijuana under the same strict regulations that are used for the prescription of other drugs such as codeine or hydrocodone. In 1979, Virginia passed similar measures to permit the use of marijuana for the purposes of treating cancer and glaucoma. I will continue to pay very close attention on the ongoing debate of federally decriminalizing marijuana.

Sincerely yours,

H. Morgan Griffith
    Member of Congress.

(I retyped this myself)
    So, I guess in short what he is saying is he doesn't support legalization, but he does support MMJ? That's honestly surprising, especially coming from such a southern right-wing state. Oh well..I guess he could've completely dismissed the medical uses of MJ:eek:

edit: it says "In 1979, Virginia passed similar measures to permit the use of marijuana for the purposes of treating cancer and glaucoma."......if thats true, wouldnt my state have dispensaries?

2. that's awesome, a good step towards mmj legal everywhere over there...but shit, its not even on the table over here...ever

3. Its incredible how people can support MMJ but not legalization...

"Oh, they're dying anyway so I guess we can let them have fun"

4. Not necessarily. In some cases, laws like that got swept under the rug. For example, I bet most people in South Carolina don't know that in 1980, their state passed a law making it legal for marijuana to be described to patients of certain illnesses including cancer, making it the actual first MMJ state. Smh...

5. yeah, I had no clue virginia passed a law allowing people to use it for medical purposes...why don't we have dispensaries??

6. LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-251.1

§ 18.2-251.1. Possession or distribution of marijuana for medical purposes permitted.
    A. No person shall be prosecuted under § 18.2-250 or § 18.2-250.1 for the possession of marijuana or tetrahydrocannabinol when that possession occurs pursuant to a valid prescription issued by a medical doctor in the course of his professional practice for treatment of cancer or glaucoma.
    B. No medical doctor shall be prosecuted under § 18.2-248 or § 18.2-248.1 for dispensing or distributing marijuana or tetrahydrocannabinol for medical purposes when such action occurs in the course of his professional practice for treatment of cancer or glaucoma.
    C. No pharmacist shall be prosecuted under §§ 18.2-248 to 18.2-248.1 for dispensing or distributing marijuana or tetrahydrocannabinol to any person who holds a valid prescription of a medical doctor for such substance issued in the course of such doctor's professional practice for treatment of cancer or glaucoma.
    (1979, c. 435.)

Cannabis is Schedule 1- a doctor cannot write a "valid prescription" for it! :mad: However, if we can get cannabis re-scheduled to where it is a prescribe-able drug .......:smoke:

Granny :wave:

7. That's so cool that he took the time to get back to you, even if his statement about the "dangers" of marijuana wasn't based on any sort of factual evidence. Good for you for writing to him.

8. I agree that's awesome he responded, I sent out tons of letters to the proper representatives for my state. Hopefully I will get a response sometime.
    As for his views on marijuana, he can have those it doesn't bother me. Another thing we all need to realize is, although marijuana isn't addictive people with addictive personalities can and do abuse it. Yes an addictive personality is a registered mental medical issue, we must represent that we do not want it legalized simply so we can bake 24/7. Although the prohibition on alcohol proved that people would much rather drink constantly than have it illegal lol.

Salute for being pro activism man!!!

9. #11 Blaghlagh, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2011
    Got this canned response, finally (Didn't really think she would respond, since she usually doesn't.)

Responded with this.

From Granny Storm Crow's list. The links are not broken in my e-mail, they broke from copy/pasting on the forum.

Edit: Also, I encourage people from Eastern Washington to write Ms. McMorris and let her know how you feel about her views, I have gotten many of my close neighbors and friends to already do this.

10. It is honestly a fantastic achievement to to honestly get your letter recognized by a political office, as well as receive a response detailing support for medical marijuana.

Although I am in favor legalization, I will take this over no permission, especially so that our ill and injured may receive a highly effective and safe treatment option at a reputable dispensary .

11. Uber, what about the preventative aspects of cannabis? If cannabis were legal for all, how many cases of breast cancer "just wouldn't happen" because the cancer cell was "told to die" by THC or CBD?

Antitumor Activity of Plant Cannabinoids with Emphasis on the Effect of Cannabidiol on Human Breast Carcinoma (full - 2006)
    Antitumor Activity of Plant Cannabinoids with Emphasis on the Effect of Cannabidiol on Human Breast Carcinoma

9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Inhibits Cell Cycle Progression in Human Breast Cancer through Cdc2 Regulation (full - 2006)
    Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Inhibits Cell Cycle Progression in Human Breast Cancer Cells through Cdc2 Regulation

And many people don't know they are pre-diabetic or diabetic-

Non-Psychoactive Cannabinoid Reduces Incidence Of Diabetes, Study Says
    \t(news - 2006)
    \tNon-Psychoactive Cannabinoid Reduces Incidence Of Diabetes, Study Says - NORML

Marijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy (news - 2006)
    \tMarijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy

Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract on diabetes induced neuropathy and oxidative stress. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract treatment on diabetes-induced neuropathy and oxidative stress. PubMed Journal article abstract

Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts (news - 2010)
    Medical News: Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts - in Lab Notes, Lab Notes from MedPage Today

And get a load of the first 2 sentences from this WebMD article-

Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's (news - 2006)
    Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's

THC, the key compound in marijuana, may also be the key to new drugs for Alzheimer's disease. That's because the marijuana compound blocks the formation of brain-clogging Alzheimer's plaques better than current Alzheimer's drugs.

Yes, the sick, most definitely need medical cannabis, but the well can benefit medically, too! We need to be preventing diabetes and its damage. We have to stop the deposit of amyloid plaque in our brains to slow down Alzheimer's, and that breast cancer cell certainly needs to be told to die! Everyone needs access to cannabis! LEGALIZE IT!

And if enough of us speak up they DO listen!

Medical marijuana legalization getting new life at Statehouse - Springfield, IL - The State Journal-Register

Illinois House Republican leader Tom Cross' change of heart could mean a change in the prospects for medical marijuana in Illinois.

Cross, R-Oswego, had opposed the legislation in the past, but changed his mind after hearing from constituents and members of the medical community, spokeswoman Sara Wojcicki said.

Speak up! LEGALIZE IT!

Granny

12. Of course. I am in full support of legalization, and am aware of many, but definitely not all preventative aspects of cannabis. I am merely pointing out that although it downs me a little that the representative does not support legalization, it is a great thing that he supports medical marijuana. and through this support, it will be easier to alter his views to show the benefits towards the non ill and otherwise.

In short
    He has potential

13. One more thing.
    Stormcrow-
    I believe I speak for all of us here, but I just wanted to thank you and tell you how very much appreciated with all of the references and links informing us on cannabis. It is truly driving forward the legalization effort by informing many of us blades, and some of those new to the concept of cannabis, on the benefits of using the herb. definitely a plus rep for you

14. That's pretty cool. I wrote a representative a while back as well. He said the same thing. Something like, "Legalization is bad, medical purposes is good." It's better than him/her saying, "No, fuck off."

15. Yep! we are making progress! When I started toking, "No, fuck off." was the polite version of the answer you'd get when asking a politician to legalize cannabis! lol :eek:

I see GC as the "sleeping giant", :gc_rocks: and I'm hoping I can wake you all up! I am determined to turn out a generation of very educated GC stoners who will get cannabis legal. I am just dang tired of the way things are- aren't you?

Let's change it!:yay:

Granny :wave: