gorilla glue auto first ever grow (NEED ADVICE)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Blazed420Lit, Apr 24, 2018.

1. hows it going great minds and growers of grasscity, I'm very new to growing and I need some advice, insight, and any knowledge youre willing to shed on me. I'm using a 2x2x4 topolite grow tent with a 300w led, I have an oscillating fan and a 4 inch fan blowing with a 4 inch intake fan and a 4 inch outtake fan (some what rigged up but it works).my temps during the day stay between 77-79 degrees with 60% humidity and at night 72-73 degrees with 70%humidity and I'm on a 20/4 light schedule. Now to my problem... I germed for 2 days then planted in 3gal fabric pots filled with roots organic original (next time ill start with smaller pots) she broke ground late on 4/20 and when she did the shell was gone but the membrane was not. I let it be for 1.5 days then took a sterile razorblade and cut it where there was a gap between the cotyledons which only allowed me to cut it half way across so I could make sure not to cut into her cotyledons. After that I misted water and she opened up about 10 hours later. When she did open the tips were slightly yellow, I admit I may have overwatered I'm new at growing anything period, but now on 4/24 the cotyledons are still yellow and browning on the end but the new growth looks healthy and I haven't watered for 2 days until this morning when I sprinkled a little cal/mag water around her. I have ph strips and a prong tester, so I set up some soil in another pot with no plant to test the ph and runoff without drowning my plant. the probe soil ph meter after watering reads over 7 but the runoff is 6.2 with the strips... how can this be? also my light sits about 22 inches away and the pic is from yesterday, the fan leaves are actually bigger and a nice green today but the cotyledons still seem to be suffering. I greatly appreciate any time you take to read this and any help or advice or criticism that you want to offer, all advice is welcome. please help me...

Attached Files:

2. The probe ph meter (if it's the kind I think it is) are not always very accurate. What is the water's ph?

With autos, you want to start out in the pot you are going to finish in. So next time, I dont think you should start smaller unless you plan on finishing in that smaller pot. You dont want to transplant.

Anyway, I'm only a rookie. I've only grown 5 plants but from my untrained eyes lol , it looks like you are doing fine.

3. thanks man for replying you have 5 grows so you must be doing it right haha but the ph of my water never changes I use nursery water ( I know not the best, I'm getting new water) but with ph of water before and after cal/mag its always around 6.2 even the runoff according to my ph strips is 6.2. The fan leaves seem to be looking good but the cotyledons not so much. I know they die but I feel they are dying for another reason.. and ive heard negatives and positives about transplanting autos and honestly ill prolly stick with the 3 gal from the start, exposing roots and just pulling it up slighty terrifies me haha. thanks again man

4. I'm unfamiliar with what nursery water is exactly. Do you have to add cal mag to it?

5. yeah its water for infants which is stripped of calcium and such, sold at local wal marts. not the best to grow with but 90% of what I read said growing autos organically all id need pretty much is cal/mag. I grew outdoors a few years back but the plant was gave to me at a month old and it did great, but this seedling is stressful haha plus the seeds weren't cheap..

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hey Blazed420Lit, your plant is looking fine. The yellowing on the cotyldeons could be from where you separated them with the razor. The new growth looks nice and that's the important thing. You don't need to worry about the roots as much as you are, it's not like the plant will die as soon as the roots are exposed or touched. It is not recommended to up-pot an auto, but not because disturbing the roots will kill it. Currently its believed when the roots hit the edge of the container the plant starts to send out the flowering hormones. It's not instant though so some can still up pot with sucess, but if it becomes root bound a transplant will not be beneficial. Anyway, your plant looks fine.

Canada Guy's UFO Grow

7. I see. I use walmart's distilled water ,great value brand. I used cal mag on my first grow . Didn't notice much affect good or bad. So I haven't used it since then. My grows after that I didn't notice any difference in my grow with cal mag vs the one's without.

How much is the nursery water a gallon?

8. thanks Canada Guy for the response, calmed my stress a bit haha. the new growth is still looking good and strong but the cotyledons are browning on the ends a lil worse than in this pic and it seems to just get worse as the fan leaves get better. shes 4 days old and only about an inch tall, I feel shes slightly stunted?

9. not sure man my wife bought it but I think its around 1.50 a gal. I will be switching to new water before I water her again in the next few days.

• Like Like x 1
  10. You did fine putting into the big pot i plant mine into 20l pots

Careful with water dont water too much they dont use alot in a 20 l pot i put 2l in thats it foe 2 weeks i might mist the top once a day if hum is slightly low you may have damages the cotys leaving it to sit too long if youbget that membrane just mist it and the once its have 30mins of being wet it should just gently pull off. The cotys wont fix them selfs as lo g as your plant is growing and true leafs look good then you should be ok

Not sure if roots organic is prefertalised some autos can be a little picly with nutes what breeder is she from?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. Autos dont die if you TP lol
    They can become stunted if you do it wrong

Also autos dont flower when they hit the sides on the pot or hydro and dwc wpuldnt flower very well. Its all based on time and enviroment. And temps can play a part since these are from colder temps its believed that you may be able to extend veg by keeping her cool but it wont stop her entirely

• Like Like x 1
  12. thanks loki for the info very helpful. I'm growing gorilla glue auto by fastbuds, I ordered the seeds thru seedsman. I didn't water for 2 days until yesterday when I put a little water around the seedling. I got pretty decent airflow and with the fabric pots they seem to dry rather fast. after watering yesterday I checked the soil again last night and it seemed really dry, I didn't water tho. the fan leaves are growing decently but the cotyledons still seem to be burning up from the tips in. I know they die off some say after first set of true leaves grow, but without me doing anything extra they are still dying and I just feel its way too early.. fan leaves look good but I'm just afraid its going to travel up the plant. also the plant seems stunted its only a lil over an inch tall and when I compare it to other 5 day old plants it definitely lacks especially for the autos ive seen. the fan leaves look healthy they just don't look up to par I guess, from an amateurs eyes that is, I try not to bother her too much just keep a regular check on temp and humidity other than that she relaxes and soaks up the light. maybe I'm overstressing but id rather make it further than 5 days on my first official seed grow haha. I guess I expected improvement after I let her dry out a bit.. could it be where I cut the membrane? (will not do again definitely only misting next time.) if I did knick the cotyledons with the razor will my plant die? I called myself being extra careful but maybe I wasn't careful enough. I have 4 more gg auto seeds should I continue with this one or have I stressed her too much already? thanks again loki for taking the time to help a newb and to everyone else whose commented.

13. #13 Blazed420Lit, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    and as far as roots organic ive read a million reviews some say its hot for seedlings some say its not. I don't have the means to make 20 gallons of soil and then store it, what soil do you recommend for autos? from seedling to harvest? with me being new I wanted to have to add as little as possible that's why I went organic. figured add cal/mag to the water and let her grow. any tips on nutrients and how to feed autos? I read so much and everyone contradicts what someone else says so it gets hella confusing, a lot say don't feed nutes or TP or train them then I go watch 50 videos of ppl doing those 3 exact things to autos. it always makes life easier when you can ask the source i.e. you haha thanks again brotha... o yea since shes been in the ground humidity got to 85 one time for a short period maybe an hour, other than that it stays between 55-70 humidity and temps from 72-80 degrees and with plenty airflow. why couldn't I have been born with a silverspoon or a greenthumb haha

14. 20180425_092650.jpg 20180425_092700.jpg 20180425_092650.jpg 20180425_092700.jpg heres a few pics of the plant and how moist my soil is, I watered yesterday morning. she just looks so unhealthy 20180425_092940.jpg to me :( 20180425_092650.jpg

15. Dont look any worse leaves are deffo bigger she msy be putting her feet out the then have a growth spurt. You could mist her i few timea a day helps keep hum up and gives a bit of moisture to the upper roots the deeper ones wanna go deep for the water at the bottom.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. just fyi for anyone curious, my 2nd set of fan leaves are coming in. I refrain from watering and also switched to spring water. it has a bit higher ph but its only around 6.5. thanks for the encouraging advice from anyone who didn't mind shedding some knowledge. shes still being a slower grower but hopefully she kicks in gear soon. happy growing everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Make sure you take lots of pics! This is the time when they grow the fastest, and it will be cool to look back at all the baby pictures when she is a monster.

Canada Guy's UFO Grow

• Like Like x 1
  18. update picture she growing a little over 2 inches tall and 6 days old. she looks like a bird, no? haha

19. gg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  20. Looking good!!!!!
    Any advice I could give has been said.
    I over watered my seedlings just about every time lol.
    Roots tiny right now they need the oxygen to. Survive and thrive, try just spritzing the soil rather than traditionally applying water, just spritz the soil till all surface wet and damp. At that age they barely suck up water. To much will reduce root production and possibly kill it.
    Regards looks fine your over thinking I think lol