Gore won the Nobel peace prize -

Discussion in 'General' started by chronictoker, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Global warming my ass. Like 2 weeks after that movie all over the news it claimed that he used more electricity than any one in his city. The guy from his electric company came on and even claimed it on Glen Beck's program.

2. i just love it when people say to research a topic on a site such as that. that doesn't constitute research. Do you even know where to get peer reviewed scientific reports independent from interest group perspectives? If you are actually serious about finding out if Global Warming is a real phenomenon or not, try a database that collects reports directly from the researchers without any lay commentary like JStor, BioOne, etc. Sometimes you need to be attached to some academic institution but you can also signup as an independent researcher.

I haven't decided my opinion on global warming yet, but either way you don't want to base your understanding upon propaganda and conspiracy theory sites. Unabridged lab reports with actual data.... now who would have thought of looking at those?

3. Good post. Deff plus rep.

4. Unbelievable actually. How is he creating peace by creating fear in millions of ignorant people who think a movie and the downright lies in it is true?
    That is bullshit.

Global warming is a reality, but to the extent he claims in his movie is a lie to the fullest.

:hello:eric:hello:

5. Did anyone else find it funny in "Gore's" Nobel thread the picture is of him holding an academy award? :rolleyes: :smoke:

6. good for him. he would of been a way better president than that monkey bush.

7. I don't think the committee is rewarding ESTABLISHING peace as it is rewarding the path to PREVENTION of conflict.

Climate change is global. Whatever label gets slapped on it. Climate change is occurring, droughts are occurring and the result, for instance in Sudan fighting is rampant among farmers and herders.
    I think people are scared of the facts because it hasn't happened yet. Can major conflicts be started over climate? Its a first, but it shouldn't be labeled hoax and shoved aside.

As far as this Nobel Peace Prize, I think its important we look at the angle the committee took upon this recognition.

8. That's why you should broaden your scope of the argument. Population growth is one of the key factors, if not THE key factor in global warming. Read up on Hardin and the I=PAT formula.

9. When we do see it happen, it will be too late. I doubt anything of major signifigace will happen in our lifetime, but I think we should always do what we can to prevent EXCESS global warming. Global Warming is a natural thing, it is just running rampant that it can hurt us.

But all in all its a cycle..

10. No he didn't.

Also, if you think about it, even if him and his committee haven't come up with new scientific findings on the topic, they are certainly the ones that united the world against the threat of global warming. And I think that deserves some sort of recognition.

11. I'm really not worried about at all. The temp has gone up like maybe 3 degrees in the last century. Big whoop.

Gore (and his commitee) didn't do shit to earn the award. Read the intentions of the awards and then tell me he deserves the Nobel PEACE prize.

12. ^ya the media blew that internet thing out of proportion

Gore's aight. I wish he had been elected in 2000, for obvious reasons.

I think he generally has good ideas.

I just hope this research leads to systemic changes, then it's all worth it.

I look at the state of the world, and it's hard to see how anything has changed as a result of this...I guess progress is slow. Next 10-20 years we should start seeing some improvement?

sensimil- lol. whoops. that's not a nobel...good eye.

13. What excess? I'm not convinced at all about anything at the moment. I see the information that planets across the solar system are heating up and I see no excess on Earth at all.

14. First: Gore and his buddies didn't unite the world against global warming, the world is bigger then just all the ones with white people in them.

Lots of countries are just worried about if there is enough food for everyone much less if their SUV is eco-friendly. Al gore didn't inform me of shit I knew full well about climate change before that hack showed up. I saw his movie and saw right through it.

Secondly: I'll give a little he did raise awareness about global warming. But raising awareness about something that we don't fully understand is not what Alfred Nobel wanted. He must be rollin in his grave right now.

\t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t

15. First of all Al Gore did alot of things to earn that. Second of all on the global warming situation, NO ONE knows on this, there is not certain evidence one way or the other. We have only been tracking weather for about 100 to maybe "maybe" 200 years. So how do we know if the world is getting hotter or colder. We don't. and regardless of you guyses arguments or not you really don't know either.

16. I supposed he didn't unite the world single handedly, but like you said, he certainly has raised an insane amount of awareness. Before An Inconvenient Truth, where and when did we hear about how great green energy is, except from "those stupid hippies"? He changed it from something that was considered ridiculous (come on oil works just fine!) to something we all need to act upon.

17. Name them. Make sure you make the reasons relevent to Alfred Nobel's intent for this award," to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses".

18. Like maybe 3 degrees?
    Polar bears are now dying off because the temperature in their environment are rising. The ice drifts that they swim between are becoming few and far between, making it difficult for them to make the journey, result-polar bear death rates rising.

Is it possible, protection of our natural resources and prevention can promote peace?

19. Damn right Big Whoop.
    3 Degrees.. that's nothing.. tell that to the myriads of species that are dying out because of habitat degradation and ocean levels rising as well as the temperatures, desalinifying the oceans and rising the levels. Trade winds fuck up, we get El Ninos and La Ninas, the Conveyor Belt could get fucked and in consequence Europe will experience 7-8 C drop in temperatures. Sea levels rise so all of europe is forced to move farther north, but it's cold and the soil isn't as fertile..

Should I keep going?
    CO2 is a key greenhouse gas, get it in your brains.
    Levels have been increasingly spiked with the growth of populations and industrialization, evidence from Carbon Dioxide bubbles trapped in fossils reveal. About the Milankovitch cycles.. They do exist, they have to do with the earth's axial wobble, rotation which are directly related with the amount of sunlight the earth receives. They occur in cycles of 23,000 , 44,000 , and 100,000 year cycles. The last time it happened is documented, and we should be heading toward a cooling phase. That is not the case however, temperatures are increasing. When you plot the graphs of CO2 per ppm in the atmosphere over the years and put the graphs of temperature increase of the same year on top of each other, you don't even have to be a scientist to see the correlation.

Come on now..