Gooey mess

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by scarygary, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Hi there,

First post, please forgive me if there's a better board for this topic.

I received a mess from a friend. It is a small jar that contained some hash oil purchased at a dispensary. The jar was left in a zip lock bag and leaked most of the oil all over the inside of the bag. The result is that the jar and bag are now a sticky, gooey mess. There's probably many decent tokes left but I am not sure as to the best way to clean this up and get the oil out.

I found this forum searching for comments on using acetone as a solvent. From here and other sources, I haven't found any concrete evidence to suggest that I need to fear any resuide from the acetone and that it will evaporate completely, leaving only the oil behind - would anyone like to comment or share their experience regarding acetone? I hear that isopropyl alcohol will also work but that it isn't as strong of a solvent...

The next question concerns technique. Perhaps I should put the small (glass) jar in a bigger jar filled with solvent and allow the gummed up oil to dissolve, then pour the solution into something from which it'll be easy to "harvest" the oil once the solvent evaporates. Looking for suggestions here. Also, there's a plastic lid to the jar that it also pretty gummed up with sticky oil, and the ziploc bag also has a bunch of oil in it too. I think solvent won't interact with the plastic but am looking for suggestions here too.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Everclear works pefectly, and you can drink the results right away if you don't want to wait for evaporation (use common sense and moderation of course :))

3. Regarding Everclear - doesn't the oil need to be heated to at least 250 degrees F before it can be consumed without smoking?

4. that is correct. it'd mostly be a waste otherwise. if you use the everclear method, simply let it evaporate and scrape up your new toking materials once it is fully dried. :D

5. someone has probably suggested this already.. but you could put everything in a jar.. and put some 90% rubbing alcohol in the jar.. shake it around with lid on.. then pour that into a pyrex dish and wait for it to dry. voila

6. #6 gone4good, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
    edit never mind hes working with oil...ill stfu now lol
    nucan has it right

7. I like the "put everything in a jar" method.

-Thanks everyone!

8. Be careful with that plastic bag. I put some in 91% iso and forgot about it for a little bit and when I got back all the plastic had melted into it, ruining my batch. :/

9. If that were the case then cold extraction alcohol tinctures would be worthless. :confused:

10. > If that were the case then cold extraction alcohol tinctures would be worthless.

My understanding is that to acheive maximum potency cannabis benefits from being decarboxylated, best accomplished by raising the temperature to around 250 degrees, or by drying it out completely. I would suspect that for the most potent tinctures, the cannabis would be decarboxylated prior to the cold extraction.

http://420tainment.com/2010/03/decarboxylation-science-smoking/
    Decarboxylation | Cannabis Culture Magazine

11. Fun thread, thanks!