Good weed strikes again

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by sharp95, Jul 26, 2012.

1. i was wondering can a plant grow inside a river or a small dike with low stream? let me know if is a stupid question im a newbie

2. I doubt it. Considering that the water won't have enough nutrients in it, it'd just die off early.

Have you ever seen a small plant growing inside a river?

3. Yes i did, not mj but some ''weed'', the current its controlled and its about 4feet deep, a plant needs sun and water all other crap is not 100% needed she produces her own food so it maybe possible..idk

4. :confused:

5. :confused: i really dont understood that reaction :confused: i can be wrong as i sayd im not sure but i know long time that photosynthesis its a process made by plants, where they use carbon dioxide and water to produce glucose(food to them grow)

6. hahahahahahaha

This thread just got epic. Plants don't produce food for themselves. You have to give them nutrients for the to use for growth. Every organism on this earth requires 'food' to grow.

Go google basic plant botany.

7. this is what happens when you go the woods baked :smoke: any way them how the other plants grow??

8. also keep in mind mj and all plant life that has been around for millions of years before humans

9. Humans don't have to be the ones supplying the food source. It's a biological fact though that plants require nutrient uptake to sustain life. That's what the roots are there for. But yes, anything that a plant needs to be fed can be found naturally, which is why you see plants growing without humans. But for you to grow a female cannabis plant to maturity and get quality flowers, you will need to provide more than what just random luck you might get in nature.

Lots of plants grow small and die off because they can't sustain their life. You don't see those though, you only see the big plants that have made it, and used those other plant's resources to grow. You could plant a seed and if it sprouted you'd have a week or two before it would require outside feeding because the seed only contains so much.

10. #10 lbs, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
    Plants don't necessarily require soil but without soil they need food, water, light, air and support. It's possible plants can just start to grow on a river but extremely unlikely becuase while a river can potentially deliver food to the plant, water offers no support.

11. finaly i knew it was not an absolute crazy idea
    but they ''will'' have soil in the botton the sediments dragged by the river that i belive are a really good natural organic fertilizer
    Now about they die after i cant be sure because i never growth a plant

12. Assuming the body of water and sediments combined have everything you need as far as all other nutrients are concerned (it's possible, that's why they farm flood plains the world over, those sediments are full of nutrients) the real problem is going to be that the dissolved oxygen in the water will not support the plants we wanna grow once they get to a certain size. I can't be sure what size that will be, but I am sure it's not going to be a mature flowering plant or even anywhere close to it. I read an interesting article recently where a local farmer set up a system where he aerated the hell out of an overcrowded fish pond and pumped the water into a separate holding tank. In this tank there were no fish to eat the roots of the plants (lettuce) which he floated on styrofoam and the result was that the holding tank slowed the water, sediments dropped out, lettuce used up the built up nutrients in the plant and the fish had clean water returned to their side, so he simultaneously produced fish and lettuce to sell in the market. You have to remember though that one, he aerated the hell out of the water and two it's a very small plant, lettuce.