Good vpn service?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Greys0n, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Anyone had experience with Hola or Betternet? I found good reviews on myipservices.com/vpnrating . Is there any reason to use paid vpn?

Thanks

2. Yes, In my experience Cyberghost is one of the best. But to use it to its full potential you pay, it has a lot of choices on what country you would like to use etc. but you can only use it for a certain amount of time at once unless you are paying, and there are waiting times for other people (but generally dont take long)

3. If you have an iPhone the public IP and MAC address changes every time you turn it off and then back on. Otherwise TorGuard.

4. Aren't most VPN services compromised by the NSA?
    That's what I read or saw somewhere on the Internet.

• Like Like x 2
  5. #5 ReflexiveSurviving, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Depends, and no that is just for the TOR browser. But yea I wouldn't do anything illegal over a VPN service you are paying for, at least not illegal enough to actually be checked out and a warrant issued. There are logs from your ISP and your VPN service. It is a way of flying under the radar when you aren't sure if you want someone to have your public IP. It is just a way of protecting yourself. I change my public IP fairly often, but I don't use the VPN service a lot. Only when I feel it is needed.

Once someone has your public IP they can do a port scan and go from there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Any offshore VPN that also does not keep any records..

• Like Like x 1
  7. Private Internet Access. Its $40/year and they do not log any data.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Depends on what type of service you want, what you're willing to pay and what you need it for. I had a great chart I'll try to find again, otherwise you could ask /g/.

Don't let the offshore thing fool you, most still cooperate with releasing info. Only a handful don't. One of the best is actually an American VPN. I'll look more into it tomorrow because I need one too. Who knows?

9. Amazon are offering a new cloud service, looks rather impressive....be like trying to find a needle in a field full of haystacks...

10. #12 ReflexiveSurviving, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    It is tough to find one with good bandwidth and good encryption, the one I mentioned I forgot to tell you all blows when it comes to bandwidth but has a lot of encryption options and stealth servers so no one can tell you're using a virtual private network. That was why I got it.You gotta get into those trunk lines.

Just buy satellite web service in a foreign country. Or um theoretically hack a computer in another country. I don't do any of this. Why? It just screams I want to do illegal activity.

11. There is no such thing as perfect security .... VPN is for your nosey hacker friends ...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Humble bundle has a VPN service for a year up on their site right now. Grab it for a good VPN for cheap. Downside it's only a year subscription.

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Btguard

Sent from my S7 Active

14. I second Private Internet Access: Anonymous VPN Service From The Leaders | Private Internet Access

Here's a write-up on various VPN services by TorrentFreak: The Best Anonymous VPN Services of 2016

But, honestly, VPNs are only a basic level of security. They'll protect you from low-level attackers trying to snoop, etc, but if the DEA or something is after you, you're fucked.

And if the site you're communicating with is compromised, security on your end won't matter. Ex: you click a link that looks like your bank's site with a slight misspelling you don't notice, boom the attacker has your bank login info. No snooping required.

That said, I use Private Internet Access personally on my media server / ghetto-seedbox. Granted, 90% of it is to fly under the radar of the RIAA, MPAA, and their lawyers.

15. #18 Lindaawilsoon, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    As per the review of Best VPN by an expert, It has many features for now in 2020, just like you can unblock Netflix and convenient service to use torrenting etc..here is the complete Review just checkout Greys0n.

16. Lol, spam for a vpn review posted by a user using IP Vanish.

Hmm, I wonder which is better?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. #20 Stannabis420, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    I would only recommend Proton VPN (offered by community funded protonmail). Some online activist and nonprofit groups offer free VPN services as well, if you do a little searching.

• Like Like x 1