good things to do at this point?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by moronparade, Nov 2, 2012.

1. #1 moronparade, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012
    Well, I'm starting to finally see some bud swelling happening and I'm flipping out over em.. I do want to know if someone can tell me about some little tips and tricks, ferts or teas or anything that can really pack on some weight.. I'm kinda new with organic growing so input is appreciated
    I'm fairly sure this is supposed to be silver purp. Mix up with seeds when I started had me unsure for a while.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Grow journal in sig

2. #2 colafarmer, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012
    I would start removing some of the leaves under the canopy for good air flow. You can open up the plant more and get much needed light into the plant by doing some defoliating.

Your probably a little to far into flowering to defoliate properly but, theirs always the next grow.
    Defoliating is a controversy subject, some agree and some don't....You never want to trim to much to fast and I find that removing the large fan leaves from the bottom 1/3 of the stem/branches help get light into the canopy, good air flow and allows more energy to the tops for the better producing bud sites.....I also remove small bud sites that are going to be non productive, ie, the popcorn bud.....

If that strain produces purple buds, lowering the temp will help them purple......

EDIT:
    Adding Blackstrap unsulfured molasses(carbs)to your feeding can help swell your buds..

3. As well as protekt or any silica at that.

I personally am against defoliating. I sacrificed a plant my first grow to 'defoliating' as an experiment. Comparisons were definitely in favor of keeping your leaves instead planning your grow accordingly is the best advice I can give, this means proper lighting for a proper amount of plants, height issues taking into account (Canopy vs. Throw). Training your plants in appropriate manner that is specific to your situation is something you learn in time and is really where the 'grower' comes into play :D

Gotta look at the big picture, every grow is a fuck up compared to the next :)

4. Talk to us first about what's in your soil. Best way to grow big beautiful buds is to have a healthy organic soil.:) I don't really do much to try and "boost" my plants in flowering, since the soil is already nutrient rich. When it comes to organic gardening, what's good for a plant in veg is also good for a plant in flower. We don't really need to worry about the "this for veg" and "that for flower" hydro mentality.

So the same things that are beneficial in veg are also beneficial in flower- botanical teas made from kelp, neem, alfalfa, comfrey, dandelion, nettles, etc., ACTs, compost/vermicompost top-dressings. I don't use strong alfalfa/kelp teas in the last couple weeks of flowering, since the growth hormones in alfalfa and kelp can cause stretching, etc. But if I've already made a kelp/alfalfa tea for other girls, I'll absolutely dilute it down and give it to my late-flowering girls. A top-dressing with a vermicompost "slurry" is my preferred "boost" for plants regardless of growth stage. Like Kesey mentioned, silica is a very important element for plant growth that is often overlooked.

With regard to defoliation, I'm with Kesey. I did pick a couple leaves off one of my flowering girls last night because she was getting way too crowded in the middle and airflow was definitely impeded (which creates a more favorable environment for mold). But defoliating to produce bigger buds is, imo, like cutting your leg off so that you can run faster. ;)

5. Well I have to agree with on ya all about defoliating. If you remove too much you can cause the plant not to transpire properly and cause more harm than good. It seems different strains adapt different to defoliating in my experience.
    I overdid it on my last grow and now remove just enough leaves to get some penetration and none off the top 2/3 of the plant....

It's not a method for the weary at heart but, not a bad idea to try it sometime on one plant, so you know first hand and can educate others with your experience....;)

6. You are right about different strains reacting differently to defoliation. My blueberry gum is so prissy and freaks out if you remove a leaf (we'll see how the smoke is with her, unless it's amazing I won't be growing her again). Others don't mind it a bit. I haven't done massive defoliation, but I have played around with it, and I do believe in pruning. But I just haven't gotten good results from it. Sometimes real life experience contradicts science, but in this case my experience went right along with what I expected- removing the leaves that power the plant won't give positive results. It's always a good idea to experiment and try things out for yourself though (and like colafarmer said, different strains react differently).

I am a serious LITFA gardener, so my grow style tends to be: put the plant in good soil, leave it alone, let it grow itself, and interfere as little as possible. :p

7. My soil is peat moss, mushroom compost black kow, kelp, alfalfa, blood, bone, jobes organic 444, cottonseed meal, and lotsa alfalfa pellets, rock phosphate, granite dust and sand and a few others. Leaf compost

8. I'm guessing Leave It The Fuck Alone? Lol, nice acronym ITG

9. Castings or kelp or something like that as a top dressing - but yes, other than that, LITFA. It appears you have your bases covered.

Good luck!

J