Good Soil Mix For Outdoor Growing?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by PurpLung, Jan 25, 2015.

1. I'm looking to start a thread on some good soil-mixes for a Outdoor "Woods Grow" in the eastern Appalachian Mountain area. It can be Organic or Fertilized, I'm open to all opinions and options.

Thanks guys & smooth tokin'!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I would also like to know how to select a damn avatar.... I can't seem to get it.. New to Grass City obviously....

3. I have aprox. 5-6 bags of MG Potting Soil that I attempted to grow Tomatoes in but the Deer ate them up before they got any fruit on the plant. The soil are in pots and have been stacked on top of each other collecting rain & leaves for the past 2 years outside and they seem to stink when I moved them the other day. The soil also has Trout-Scraps (Guts & All) mixed in it when I attempted my Tomatoes. I'm wondering if there was anything I could do/add to the soil if I were to mix it all up in a large plastic tote. The ratios of additives would be helpful as well . I'm not looking to spend a fortune on anything (First-Grow). West Virginia
    I'm going to dig a few 2 x 2 holes to put the soil in and will transplant them to the plots after the last frost. I will be able to tend the plants once every week or two atleast so I'd like to have something to hold water longer in the soil incase of no rain. I'm growing some good Bag-Seed I came across and I think if grown right and dried & cured well, it could make some good bud.

Thanks Again

4. I'd suggest going to the organic section and look at the numerous threads on building soils. That's the only place where you will find info on building a soil mix. Everything else you will find is just "use fox farm ocean Forrest, and their nutrient pack".

5. If the soil stinks, I would dump it out on a tarp and let it dry out the next time you have dry weather in the forecast. Mixing in some fish scraps is a great idea like you did with the tomatoes before. Dry leaves, alfalfa hay, and manure are other cheap things you can add. I found a free bail of hay and free manure when I was strapped for cash and trying to make a good soil. Check Craigslist for free manure.

6. #6 mjmama25, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2015
    When you are ready to invest a little more, maybe next season, this is my soil mix that I have been using and tweaking for a few years now. Below the recipe is a breakdown of why I use each ingredient.

Mjmama's soil recipe
    Per 2 cubic foot of soil I add
    15-20 cups worm castings
    8 cups rock dust
    1 cup kelp
    1 cup alfalfa
    1 cup bone meal
    1 cup neem meal
    1/2 cup guano
    1/2 cup rock phosphate
    1/2 cup greensand
    1/2 cup lime or oyster shell.

worm castings or compost are necessary sources of microbes and beneficial bacteria
    rock dust - provides minerals and home for micro/fungal life
    kelp contains a full range micro nutes and minerals
    alfalfa is a source of N and root growth hormones
    bone meal provides phosphorus
    neem meal Fights pests and provides nutrients
    guano, like bone meal, is an excellent source of phosphorus for flowering
    greensand provides potassium and adds
    to good soil texture and drainage.
    lime and oyster provides cal/mag and ph control

For indoors I mix these ammendments with potting soil. For outdoors I mix it with half native soil and half potting soil to make it stretch farther. If you are growing outdoors in containers, just a few shovel fulls of native soil would be good to mix in. It has lots of beneficial soil life to break down the amendments and it provides more trace nutrients and minerals.

• Like Like x 1