Good set up for a hydro first timer?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by FlightSchool, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Top water drip into rockwool slabs. Not too hard I guess, but then again I can't think of anything that would be harder, except for maybe aero.

I just never liked these systems because of the PH problems you have with rockwool, the fact that the rockwool is not reusable, and you have to replace it every grow, figure out a way to dispose of the rockwool, and they always seem to grow algae everywhere, like where the drains are.

It's probably the last system I would ever use. Then again thats just my opinion :)

It's probably one of the cheaper systems to get into, but If Im looking for max yield out of a SOG grow Im gonna buy an aero-flo, and If Im looking for ease of use Id buy an Ebb & Grow.

2. yep.. thats garbage... once again.. an opinion...

whats the budget?... and are you handy?

3. No im not handy. I would transplant the rockwoll cubes into a pot with hydroton. I have both digital PH and TDS meters so i shouldnt have too much ph problems... I want a system that dosent require to much maitence besides a weekly rez clean out. And topping off the water.

4. Honestly.... im about to start growing using dwc with a 20 gal rubbermaid that will cost me around 45$ to make a tub for 6 plants for a SOG style grow and will grow me just as good or better bud then that make a smart choice and do it yourself save the money and in the end you will be happy you made that choice.

Edit...

There are several different plans that i can show you that are easy as hell for my setup and will grow good buds.

5. Ide like to stay under a 1000 for the set up so rez pumps everything. Obviously the 1000 isnt including lights. Just the hydro part

6. Im Trying to run 24 plants with 4 600's

7. Try a hempy bucket!!! Just as easy as soil with the benefits of hydro :)

8. DWC................easiest and cheapest way to go Hydro. total cost about 45$ however it needs special stuff. 1 black bucket ( a must) air pump ( a must as it puts oxygen into water) air stone. The rockwool needs to be soaked in a ph of 5.5 for 8 hrs to bring its ph into grow limits.
    Google the systems and you be the judge. You-tube has some awsome video on the subject.
    Go and Grow
    AL

9. Im thinking ebb and flow..this is going to be a 24 plant grow so im trying to find the best method that would fit my needs. Any input on an ebb and flow system?

10. 24 plants, how about an Ebb and Grow? It works off the same principle, but each plant sits in it's own bucket, all connected to the central reservoir. You can get the 12 bucket kit, and two 6 bucket add-ons, for 24 in total, and probably have a couple hundred bucks left over out of your hydro budget. I'm planning to make my own version of one, but I'm handy.